Moving to New York City

enigmatic

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Buy your "green stuff" in Washington Square park, eat at Sbarro in Times Square...your set.

:huh:

all your dreams are gonna come true once you catch your big break in the big city

Eat what you catch in the river.

these.

30 dollar grams... :mad:

what?

Fuck the buff smoke sour power on the hour get in a Cam'ron DVDsclusive photoblog/journal everything

Oh and claim "native" after 4 months and a train ride

"so.... where are you from?"

"oh i'm from brooklyn!"

"no i asked where you're from not where you live now......."

NYC in the 70's/80's/90's > NYC 2000 and beyond.

Currently, all native New Yorkers were born in Ohio, and Indiana.

um.......

/boredom

• 1 year later...

Bumparolla.

i'm likely to move up there in the next few weeks.

ive been to NYC three times only. so i know nothing.

no car, no pets, nothing really.

the new job is in manhattan right near gramercy park. i can probably pay up to $1000 a month rent wise. im here to ask for help in the following ...

1. where the fuck do i live/commute or not commute? im open to jersey, connecticut, SI, and everywhere else with public transportation. i dont have a fucking clue what's "affordable" or "reasonable" vs what just looks expensive since im not from NY. im ok to commute. but since i dont have a car i dont wanna live so far out that i'll regret not having one.

2. what are some decent neighborhoods or places to look at in the city? keeping my rent in mind.

thanks 12oz.

also, if anyone wants a roomate ...

Yeah if you wanna listen to Waka Flocka songs in parks hit me up dawg.

Manhattan is pretty out of the picture with that rent budget. Studios are like 1600, and it only goes up from there. Brooklyn or Queens...Astoria and Long Island City are nice areas for Queens, rent varies though...Brooklyn has Bushwick and Crown Heights, or Williamsburg if you don't mind being surrounded by hipster filth. It's probable you're going to have to find a roommate.

Be very careful that wherever you look at has a convenient/semi convenient subway station that will get you into Manhattan with a minimal of transfers and bullshit. You don't wanna be making a 90 minute commute twice a day. Lots of shit is affordable, but not worth the trip if you're working by Gramercy.

"almost $1000" is going to limit your locations, and definitely, get you more then one room mate. If you want to TRY to live in manhattan for that price you might want to look up in washington heights. But shit got pricey up there in the last few as well.

Try brooklyn, there are still some sorta hood spots that are relatively cheap, the white kids still havent pushed the diehards out of the PJ's yet. Queens always seemed so far. Astoria is awesome but 1000 is gonna put a cap on comfort and connivence as well.

Stay in the city, commuting sucks, stacks time onto your work day, and when service gets disrupted you get screwed, especially if it's on your ride home.

You can live in plenty of places for $1000, but how well you'll live and under what conditions are another story. You can find some decent areas to live outside of Manhattan, but you'll be living in a closet.

I lived in astoria for a while, 1000/month will get you a decent room, I paid $750 and was 1/2 block from astoria blvd n/q. fuck manhattan prices. Bk is where you want to be, they upped service on the L and the a/c rarely has problems that prohibit me from going anywhere i need to on time. if you're young and its just you, keep your shit light, don't keep a bunch of useless shit you don't need because chances are you're going to move around a bit before you're satisfied, it's the nature of the beast. ask questions and try to cut bullshit if you're renting in an established apartment. people will lie and tell you anything when they need to pay rent the following month

• Like 1

if ur gonna live in jersey check out bloomfeild, orange, newark, union, some town with a train station but that daily commute is killer and not cheep.never lived in the city but if u got questions about jersey i got you.

new york is alright....if you like saxophones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q_odSgDQeE

Ya man ... the commute doesnt excite me at all. And i'm worried bout living out in Jersey and not having a car and being essentially stuck being a bum - ain't about that life.

if your looking for a serious place to stay in jersey pm me i might be able to hook somethin up

What's the name of the city? I'll look into it, thanks.

Yeah if you wanna listen to Waka Flocka songs in parks hit me up dawg.

Manhattan is pretty out of the picture with that rent budget. Studios are like 1600, and it only goes up from there. Brooklyn or Queens...Astoria and Long Island City are nice areas for Queens, rent varies though...Brooklyn has Bushwick and Crown Heights, or Williamsburg if you don't mind being surrounded by hipster filth. It's probable you're going to have to find a roommate.

Be very careful that wherever you look at has a convenient/semi convenient subway station that will get you into Manhattan with a minimal of transfers and bullshit. You don't wanna be making a 90 minute commute twice a day. Lots of shit is affordable, but not worth the trip if you're working by Gramercy.

hahaha, i'd be interested.

i'm no chance no way looking at manhattan, as much as it would be cool to be on the upper west side lounging that's not an option.

LIC and astoria both look great, just need to grab a roomate somewhere.

From LIC the commute to midtown isnt bad at all. thats probably where ill focus for now.