Good Idea, or is this just the newest example of my lack of good judgement?

CONCRETE RIVER

do or dont?  

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes , flying a fixed wing is actually pretty easy, the only tricky bit is landing, of course it's dangerous but fuck, you're flying

go and do an intro flight somewhere, it's cheap and well worth it, i've done a few cause, choppers are the shit but they won't let me do proper training due to my mental history.. and play the simulator, it's actually got some cool float simulation in it too.. and it won't take long to travel 20 miles in the air and best of all

the journey is the destination

Get a better boat that won't capsize so easily. One good gust of wind the wrong way into those waves and your ass could end up upside down and you'd get fucked up bad. It could also be awesome. You'd just better have a radio if shit gets hectic. I agree with MAR about taking instruction first. Im sure that thing acts very differently than a regular small aircraft especially in strong winds.

I think it would be cooler to own the plane but upgrading your boat for the money is a much smarter move.

Not sure of the specs on that plane but I'd think it would cost more for general upkeep than a boat.

My vote goes to getting a better boat.

I still think that getting a real plane is the way to go. Opens up a lot more than scootin out to the island and if CR could drop 20k on the phony plane why not just go all out get trained as a pilot and buy a used plane for 50k.

My girls dad has a plane and teaches people how to fly, on Memorial Day weekend he flew us out to a spot on the other side of the state. 40 min in the air sure beats 8 hours in traffic.

^this is the honesty im looking for. but keep in mind, a boat is out of the question in the days i want to go surf because its too rough.

FYI- the islands are roughly 20 miles off shore.

Welp, if the swell is up, and the water is rough, chances are the weather is not going to be too great. Thinking mostly of higher winds and how they would effect that janky little thing.

A boat is still a better idea. Get a bigger, more seaworthy vessel.

Where do you live?

i hear those ultra lights can fuck up really easily in high winds,and there are also a lot of regulations on those things i.e. you cant fly over a group of people,cant fly over neighborhoods,etc. but really,get the fucking plane,i think itd be pretty fucking cool to have regardless

BIGGER BOAT!

Really, if you're dead set on going out on rough days I would say you'd only really enter the safe zone w/ something like a 20ft Boston Whaler. Gotta love those unsinkable hulls... (also something w/ a motor than can average 20mph rather than 10mph).

At least 5 times a year we go dive a ledge that's 35 miles offshore in a 19ft boat with no added bouyancy but we try to pick the nice days. Hasn't always been totally successful but we made it home without help. One of the trips I didn't go on ended with a 35m tow back to shore (some starter/battery issue). Thank God for SeaTow, $100 a year is dirt cheap. I don't think they have SeaTow or anything like it for powered hang gliders.

Keep in mind that I grew up on the water and aside from power boats I also have quite a bit of offshore sailing experience, 3 years I did the N.O. to P'cola race and many shorter (single day) inshore/offshore races in the Gulf and Atlantic. Plus thousands of hours of inshore racing on small boats. But... I'm not a pilot.

However...

One of my close friends has been an airframe mech. at his uncle's seaplane base for over a decade. He's got his pilot's license and seaplane rating (and a 1949 Taylorcraft). The base only has one plane that is even allowed to touch the salt but they do quite a bit of salt water instruction.

I've spent a bunch of time hanging out with the instructors and various pilots that come through the base and I can tell you that even the pilots of bigger sea planes are kind of sketchy about landing on any cresting waves over 4ft or swells over 6ft. The leeward side of the island or a protected cove are the first options every time if possible so that's not some sort of magic bullet by any means. One dude I know has even flipped (tail over nose) a Widgeon off Martha's Vineyard once and he said it was only 2-3ft that day but he caught a weird bounce... This is a Widgeon:

widgeon1.jpg

No matter what you do, the first thing to buy is an Epirb... then BIGGER BOAT!

I know how windy it is when there are waves on the gulf coast so, flying a hyperlight is asking for a darwin award IMHO. As for taking the boat,

Contender ftw.Cruise at 45 knots with gps and radar.

conraceWEB.jpg.

Even this is a terrible idea without boat experience,vhs radio, gps, weather forecasts, life jackets with reflective tape, EPIRB, AT LEAST TWO bilge pumps not including back ups, because being on a boat thats taking on water in the middle of the gulf isnt fun.....trust me.

When things go wrong on the water they go way wrong in a hurry, and there might another person around to help for 100 square miles.

If the conditions were right I would be down for this, but its all in the details.

yes, surfboards are very light.

nah i know they're light, i was more talking about room on the plane for them and the other stuff you'd wanna bring. just cause making a bunch of trips out to the island to get your stuff out there and back kinda ruins the practicality of the plane, also what would gas be like?