gun thread

Trouble shooting help.

I have an AK 47 I'm having problems with. When I fire the rifle the spent cartridge is getting hung up in the ejection port. I have to manually clear it and then the next round cycles in with no problem. I disassembled the rifle to inspect the parts for burs that might be causing any mechanical hang ups and everything looks to be moving fine. 

This has to be something stupid im overlooking.

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
21 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Trouble shooting help.

I have an AK 47 I'm having problems with. When I fire the rifle the spent cartridge is getting hung up in the ejection port. I have to manually clear it and then the next round cycles in with no problem. I disassembled the rifle to inspect the parts for burs that might be causing any mechanical hang ups and everything looks to be moving fine. 

Try different ammo. Could be that there isn’t enough charge to cycle it, but I’m not an AK guy. Maybe @6Penniescan help?

• Like 2

@Dirty_habiT

I never even considered the magazine. They are metal but I never checked their condition. Can you ask your buddy if it might possibly be an issue with the spring? That's a dirt cheap fix I could entertain.

@misteraven

I was told the same thing by a family member. I switched up ammo and same results. Im not really an AK guy either but when some one wants to sell an underfolder for a couple bucks you kinda gotta go for it. 

Think with AK's, especially the real issued ones and not the new custom Gucci guns is its a cheap ass gun. It was designed to be produced easily and on a massive scale. Stamped out, assembled and the tolerances are so loose that getting sand and mud won't jam them up like something like match grade fitting. They don't usually fuck up, but when they do, they're fucked.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2019 at 10:59 PM, mr.yuck said:

Trouble shooting help.

What brand/model is it? That can narrow down to common problems others face. 

Check: feed ramp quality/construction.

Magazine spring tension.

Projectile type ( my WASR hates JHP but my Norinco eats them right up) 

Is it brand new or well used? Recoil spring may be too strong if new and needs broke in or too weak if it's old as dog shit.  

Could be a more serious matter like your gas port diameter, or canted/burred gas block.  Or how the magazine release was riveted into the weapon, it doesnt lock at the proper level to reliably feed rounds. 

When it does eject properly, is the ejection strong or weak? (How far does it fling the brass) 

received_2703545826593869.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone ( @misteraven) recommend a brand of sling.  I realize this is kinda a "basic" item but I'd like to get a nice quality/good one for our new shotgun.

Also... tritium sights.  We were told the rail system on our shotgun won't support a light.  Can someone talk about the rail system on shotguns (or other guns) and detail how to choose what can be attached to it?  I realize I can youtube this stuff but I would rather hear it from you guys.

Figured out how to remove the magazine plug on our shotgun after watching a few videos online.  None that covered our model specifically, but I got a good enough general idea from watching other guns have their plugs removed.  I saw videos of guys w/ extended magazines on their guns.

• Props 1

On 3/17/2020 at 10:18 PM, Dirty_habiT said:

Can someone ( @misteraven) recommend a brand of sling.  I realize this is kinda a "basic" item but I'd like to get a nice quality/good one for our new shotgun.

Also... tritium sights.  We were told the rail system on our shotgun won't support a light.  Can someone talk about the rail system on shotguns (or other guns) and detail how to choose what can be attached to it?  I realize I can youtube this stuff but I would rather hear it from you guys.

Depending on what type of shotgun you got, you can get a small clamp with a section of picatinny rail for you lighting system. I have a Remington 870 and use this one from Mesa Tactical. It does the job. Be sure to loctite the screws. With this system you can get a simple flashlight mount and you’re good to go. Likely there are better options out there this is just the one I use. tritium sights don’t have anything to do with a flashlight they are the little glowing dots on the iron sights. I suggest an army/navy surplus for a sling. You can get some smoking deals. 

1944B23C-CCAD-4F2C-9A96-7DC39E16AAC1.jpeg

667818FE-DB8D-439D-8C07-29F1B5142093.jpeg

186FC98A-75F7-4CF0-A2AA-28D174391EF8.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Figured out how to remove the magazine plug on our shotgun after watching a few videos online.  None that covered our model specifically, but I got a good enough general idea from watching other guns have their plugs removed.  I saw videos of guys w/ extended magazines on their guns.

Read up on the four basic rules of firearm safety. Until you can rattle them off by memory, don’t handle that gun. 

After you get past that intro step, I suggest you call around and find someone that knows how to work that gun to come over and do some dry run weapon manipulation with you. If you’re able, go out somewhere that’s safe to shoot. Put some rounds through it so you know what it feels like to fire it. Practice safely loading and unloading. Get a feel for those range and for the recoil. Not a time to burn through ammo, but a dozen or two shots is worth it. When you’re done, learn how to clean it. 

Sling is a personal choice and assume you’ll hear a different answer from everyone. That said, first off you need to verify your mounting points because likely you’ll need to install those as well. Most slings are quick release attachments but doubt a shotgun is setup to have them unless it’s a tactical shotgun. Next you’ll need to decide between single point or a more traditional two point sling. I’d go with two point if it were me. Personally I have a bunch of slings and different types, but an easy choice is a two point sling from Vickers / Blue Force. I’d get the padded one cause a loaded long gun starts to bite into your shoulder after a while. https://www.blueforcegear.com/slings/weapon-slings

And yeah as noted in the comment above, there’s a crazy assortment of aftermarket stuff you can get. Anything your gun didn’t come with can likely be added on. I’d definitely add a light to it as a home defense gun. As mentioned before, a quality light and I’d also add a pressure switch to it since walking around with it just turned on makes you a target. I’d also get someone qualified to swap the sights to tritium and help zero it for you. 

Indeed, quality sights can run you have the cost of your gun so do a little homework. A shotgun is also not a precision weapon so you can cut corners if you can’t qualify the cost. At worst they sell kits to paint your sights. Point is to be able to quickly get a round on target with a fair level of accuracy even in shitty light. Forget what they’re called but they also have sleeves that go over the stick that hold 5 or 6 shells. They’re cheap, so get one of those too. 

Yo. I hate to be that guy, but the first time I ever fired a shotgun, I shot it off in the house on accident. I blew a hole through my wifes dresser and shredded all her clothes in that drawer. Two things I didnt expect; it wasnt as loud as I thought it would be, and I fired it one handed like a gangster and the kick wasnt as hard as I thought it would be.

• LOL! 5

For shame, @mr.yuck

@Dirty_habiT imo, optics for a home defense shot gun, maybe shotguns in general, are unnecessary.  When you get to the range get an idea of what your single shot spread looks like at different ranges in 5 foot increments starting  at about 5 foot off. And I wholly  second raven's suggestion for a pressure switch on your light.  

Depending on where you are shooting, take some pieces of drywall scrap and have a variety of rounds to get an understanding of what it's going to do in your home. I keep turkey shot in my quick grab home defense weapon. I don't  know if you live in a house with close neighbors or an apartment, but understanding what happens to your round after potentially leaving through your exterior walls goes back to the four basic rules. You don't need slugs or 00 buck to stop a toilet paper thief. 

Re: cleaning. A Bore snake a must own item, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

@Fist 666- good idea on the drywall scrap. 

I'm going to buy the things necessary to clean the shotgun.  I also found a barrel/magazine clip with a rail attachment:

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/mxt-extension-nut-mossberg-shotguns/

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/new-nc-mxt-shotgun-extension-complete-assembly-12ga/

https://nordiccomp.com/categories/heavy-wall-mossberg-barrel-clamp-picatinny-rail-12ga/

Probably won't get a site for this shotgun.  I'm more interested in it carrying more shells and having a flashlight on it.  I realize I could google, but on the lights.... what is the difference between pressure switch and ________?

XS Sights makes some pretty neato sights for quick acquisition which comes in handy if you are ever in a self defense scenario.  They are not the most accurate for range, but I have them on my two carry pistols and they make em for shotguns too. 

https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8267

image.thumb.png.785803d7a451a0b237b6c1773956e69f.png

For a mossberg ^ (will vary on your stock sight mounting) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

For shame, @mr.yuck

@Dirty_habiT imo, optics for a home defense shot gun, maybe shotguns in general, are unnecessary.  When you get to the range get an idea of what your single shot spread looks like at different ranges in 5 foot increments starting  at about 5 foot off. And I wholly  second raven's suggestion for a pressure switch on your light.  

Depending on where you are shooting, take some pieces of drywall scrap and have a variety of rounds to get an understanding of what it's going to do in your home. I keep turkey shot in my quick grab home defense weapon. I don't  know if you live in a house with close neighbors or an apartment, but understanding what happens to your round after potentially leaving through your exterior walls goes back to the four basic rules. You don't need slugs or 00 buck to stop a toilet paper thief. 

Re: cleaning. A Bore snake a must own item, imo. 

I’d suggested he also get rifled slugs in case he wanted to punch out to further distances. That’s why I think sights or an optic would be handy. Also as noted, the spread varies depending on choke and ammo so rather than just generalize shot placement, he has are liable method for target acquisition in fast moving situations.