gun thread

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

my close friend told me today that he is buying a semi auto M4 model. with me being the proud owner of 2 wonderful AK-47s and the brother of a AK owner that sparked debate. now i could make a new thread over this or we could do it here. but here is the debate.

AK or AR?

fire away

you will get a million different answers

here is mine

first off i have an ak but not an ar. not because i dont like them but just because i dont have the $$ for one right now. the ak is gonna go bang every time you pull the trigger and if you hit what you are aiming at it is gonna have some serious damage to it. modern ar's are pretty dependable but still have some jamming issues from time to time(piston ar's are more reliable than gas ar's but the price for one is steep), but the ar is waaaay more accurate than the ak. i know a guy that has been hunting with a wasr-10 for years and is a great shot... but even he will say that anything past 150 yards is at it's limits. with an ar you can reach out and touch someone at 500yards(or even farther) if you are a good shot. that is something that a normal ak could never do. now i am talking about plain jane ak's and ar's with iron sights, not the modded up ones that guys build. they both have their advantages and disadvantages. if i was fighting in a forest or urban setting i would pick the ak, but if i was fighting in a place with a bunch of wide open spaces i would have an ar. i use an ak to hunt pigs because where i hunt there is a lot of trees/brush and we usually stalk them to less than a hundred yards because they can't see/hear/smell as good as other game. now i do have friends that hunt with ar's but that is because where they are hunting is more open and flat land.

there is my .02 cents

grove pretty much nailed it.

if you dont need something accurate but you just need it to go bang without maintenance and in nearly any conditions, you want an AK.

if you to actually hit your target, and you want something that is highly reliable but that it requires maintenance, you want an AR platform.

the caliber debate is pointless. if you dont think a 5.56 is powerful enough, then get a .308 platform. the 762x39 is more powerful than 5.56, but .308 smashes them both.

the way i would base opinion is if you are leading a country that rivals america in combat. IE fights the same conditions and agaisnt the same enemies as the US.

i feel that the AK is superior in the main fact that the AK has kicked the US out of almost every war that the AR has fought in. vietnam, somalia, iraq, afganistan, bosnia just to name a few.

There's a reason why our soldiers in Iraq confiscate and use enemy AK's. They penetrate shit and fuck shit up. Not saying the AR platform is bad, its just more complicated. Ever seen someone clean one up? It takes a while. They are more finicky. Now, an AR in 7.62x39 could prove to be the best of both worlds in some situations. That would in essence be an AR-10. Which was an official AR in 7.62 made by Armalite.

ak's go bang, but arent accurate. anything past 100 yards isnt worth shooting at, you'll miss.

ak's are fine for what they are, but they are not the end all be all.

battle rifles are all around much better, much more accurate much more powerful. anything in the m14, FAL, etc are much more all purpose rifles.

the funny thing is people take the AR vs AK debate and their pluses and minuses in extreme conditions and apply it to shooting at a range. who in the hell is going to actually put an AR through its paces in extreme conditions to actually make you want an AK? if you need more power, bring a .308

True indeed. Im saying though, if you equip an AK with proven parts you can hit what you want at 100 yards. Bone stock, not so much. Bone stock an AR is way more accurate. I totally agree with you on with people comparing the rifles with shooting on the range. Consider this though. The actual bullets in the steel cased Russian ammo people put through AK's are not all the same weights. Close, but not to exact weights like American brass ammo. This is some of where the AK loses accuracy. Besides that, its the fact that all the tolerances are way looser than tolerances on an AR. Now, if you get a high end AK like an Arsenal, you get some tighter tolerances. The AR is like a precision tool. The AK is just a mass produced, rugged, stamped (for the most part) rifle.

My neighbor who has a lot of hunting rifles, some playful guns, bows, pistols etc, suggested I get an AR15 lower assembly, and just register that. then just buy different uppers. Anyone do this?

I guess you can legally register a lower and it doesnt matter what you switch up top.

*Im in Cali

My neighbor who has a lot of hunting rifles, some playful guns, bows, pistols etc, suggested I get an AR15 lower assembly, and just register that. then just buy different uppers. Anyone do this?

I guess you can legally register a lower and it doesnt matter what you switch up top.

*Im in Cali

I built mine from a stripped lower, not that hard if you can work w/ basic hand tools. The lower has to be "off list", you have to install the "bullet button" or one of those weird awkward loop-hole stock handle combos and no forward grips, so you don't meet the "distinguishing characteristics" of an evil assault rifle. As far as cops go I did get fucked with once, but the look of utter disgust and frustration on the cops face when his Sargent made him take the cuffs off and apologize made the whole 45 minuets in the back of the car worth it. There is a CA Attorney General letter that spells it out. I printed it out and take it with me now whenever I travel w/ mine. Once is funny, 2, 3, 4 times is lame.

cool story br0

so i have been shooting a Bersa .380 for a bit and wanted to move up and try something with more of a pop.

i shot one of these, Baretta 92FS

beretta129.jpg

fucked her face up

5630478046_1e1287174c_b.jpg

it was heavier but easier to shoot for me then the .380

any recommendations on 9mm. looking to purchase in the near future.