Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Lewis,

I like the piece with the small circles but I would've left it just as you posted it. Not all circles filled in. My 2 cents.

Also, that Graffuturism site is amazing for anyone that hasn't clicked the link above to it yet.

Here's a new one from me.

29768_398145829081_565204081_3911827_2950645_n.jpg

Look Me In The Eye

Joker,

Do you have a hard time charging friends and acquaintances for paintings?

I know I do, and in the end give them away for like lunch and a beer.

If not, what's your secret?

i personally have never charged friends for anything.

i cant bring myself to do it

if they offer its fine (though i will tell them no and try to lower the amount they are giving), but i will never expect them to give me anything for what i do....

• Like 1

Well, that is a hard question to answer. I mean, the truth is yes and no.

I prefer to trade with friends but haven't done that as much as I should be. I've given stuff away to friends as gifts for a birthday or house warming... that kind of stuff. I've also sold pieces, that didn't sell at shows, to friends for crazy cheap prices. And right now with the economy the way it is... I'm doing commission pieces at fairly low prices.

Most of my friend know that I sell paintings for a fairly decent amount. Not Shepard Fairy decent but a pretty good stash for someone who barely paints. Because they know this they've never ask for a free piece. I often get the question "How much would it cost me to have you paint something for my house?" and I usually come in with a figure that's way low. Most come through and some have never asked again. I feel bad even asking for money but this is part of how I make a living... it's part of my yearly income. If I was constantly doing stuff for free then I would be bumming these same friends for help in paying my mortgage every month. And... helps keep my cycling habit in check.

Doing stuff for friends without them knowing is really how I prefer to do it... like birthday gifts. Especially if they've approached me in the past about getting a painting.

Donnie... no, he does not. I was saying I don't make as much as Shepard but I do alright.

Poesia... Thanks for the critique! I originally did not have the extra piece at the top, but instead has a fifth piece next to the the one at the bottom. While this was way easier on the eye it made the whole piece very bottom heavy since the colors are black grey and dark grey. Taking that piece away made it less bottom heavy but unbalanced the whole thing. The little piece at the top left was the best option to balance the whole thing.

I've been into using several pieces of wood to make up one whole piece quite a lot the last few years. I really want to do the idea on a much larger scale but need a studio space to do so.

b4hlw6.jpg

2cgbz9u.jpg

some newish, ive been doing a bunch of b/w canvas - 24x36'ers but dont have a camera or computer at home to upload flicks of those with, heres from my little sketch pad

@bojangles, yeah yeah it def got very busy when i filled the circles.. now a days im trying to slowwww it all down, space it out and keep it simple.

• Like 1