Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

hey, on a pretty serious note, i'd love to have some art from the people i've talked about art with on here for a minute. Poesia, jangles, and joker (if you could indulge me) I'd love to know what you are doing smaller pieces for these days. I'm finally in a spot I can do something with art I purchase that's not from a thrift store. At any rate, if you'd so care to lemme know how ya'll have been pricing things, I'd really appreciate it. I'd love to commission something over the next couple months if I can afford it.

The.Crooked... This should be a simple question to answer but it's not. I'll just say that a 12"x12" piece of art would be about $150. However, I can't get too intricate in a 12"x12" space so something that small is usually very simple... kinda like one of these :

2612648140_f259a6f8b7.jpg

Congrats on the mural project, Bojangles! I'll PM you now...

The.Crooked... This should be a simple question to answer but it's not. I'll just say that a 12"x12" piece of art would be about $150. However, I can't get too intricate in a 12"x12" space so something that small is usually very simple... kinda like one of these :

2612648140_f259a6f8b7.jpg

Congrats on the mural project, Bojangles! I'll PM you now...

felt like i should bump these to the next page, i really dig them grouped like that.

you selling/sold them as a set?

I'll get some stuff up here soon just waiting on some better flicks.

Yep, sold as a set. The photo is from an installation for a new furniture studio where the guy designs and builds all his own KD furniture. You order it, he builds it. He had an open studio and needed some artwork to show with his furniture and he liked my stuff. Nothing sold but I did get three commission pieces from that night, which was nice.

I wouldn't say it doesn't belong in here... I mean, Abstract is abstract... medium is irrelevant.

I would say it seems very "gimmicky". The Rorschach effect always seems that way to me, though. I know there's a while genre dedicated to this style, in photography, but it has always felt cheap... to me. I wouldn't consider this abstract photography. However, this is just personal opinion. I'm more impressed by the abstract photography that really shows depth and life without the use of Photoshop.

Yeah, I can see where your coming from. A lot of time symmetry is hit or miss. One day i'll really be diggin it, then the next i just wont. I'm still working on finding my nitch and experimenting with various things and mixed mediums. Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

slewcopy.jpg

This is the base for a painting i'm working on. Ill post up once i'm finished and can find the time.

Nice one Lox!.

Here's mine.

I spent a few hours drawing Joker rip-off's and feeling frustrated. I think the reason why I stoped even doing "abstract" stuff was because there was so little of it then in the graf world and what there was I was staring at all day long. It got stale and repetitive. So......int to trash they went.

I thought since we were discussing going outside of graffiti for influences, and also the journey of abstracting a previously established form I used my particular graffiti lettering style, and for inspiration I've been all about 1940's and 50's animation lately and have collected a few books on the subject. I some Be-BBop Jazz on the turntable, and spent a few hours just soaking up a few particular artists work, and then reading about them and the people and things that influenced them.

I realise this isn't all that "abstract" but I think it would be immature and irresponsible to try to achieve the finish product in an abstraction style the first go around. I thought that since it's an exercise, why not take those first few steps into something that could actually be. By basing it off of my version of a particular established regional style I had a solid foundation to abstract. By not looking at graff as the inspiration I had something else here as gas for my engine.

I used Three different sized brushes for different effects like the thin, dotted lines in lots of the backgrounds of the UPA toons. For paint I used latex house paint, all of which were mistints with the exception of the black and red which are pantiers touch bucket latex. Also i used pieces of foam brushes as sponges to get a bit of that sponge brush background look on the early UPA cartoons.

I hope you guys like it.I had fun.

T8ito_pauser.jpg

:eek:

holy shit this is nice