Abstracts

Bojangles

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Maybe you should look at nature for reference... it might be worth the effort.

I was just wondering what the eye might look like if it was like a round fish eye, with the round gaze and all the metallic shines going on

You could even find abstract features like some patterns on the back of an animal, or shapes of insect wings, take them out of the figurative context etc.

Just a thought

Hey Bojangles,

Is that piece done? I like the composition but the wing being so detailed is drawing the eye too much, I think.

If you were going for a pelican, I think it works really well. I think on that wing, I would just reduce some detail.

One of the hardest things, I think, is to integrate realism with abstract unless you are going for the conflict that they create with each other.

I like the piece, those are just my initial thoughts.

• Like 1

Bojangles, symbolism and representationalism is over-rated. Don't dumb down your art because dudes in suits aren't buying it. Give it time. To me, adding stuff like that to abstract art just makes it tryhard.

Ps....I'm on my second beer at 11:30 in the morning, so take my comment as you will.

I agree with what Hal says, not just because i like abstract but because the painting looks forced, and your other work flows naturally and it took a long time to look that way. Im sure you could get the same results over time, but there are hundreds of Juxtapoz artists already im not looking forward to looking at another one.

I think if you're trying to evolve into new directions with your art it's going to feel forced or tough at first.

I've tried out so many different things since graffiti and I've never liked anything the first shot I gave it.

Maybe there are Juxtapose type artist that use realistic imagery mixed with abstract, I don't know.

I wouldn't let it stop me from following through with trying a new direction, go with what you want to do.

I only see shows around here in NYC, or stuff people post in places I look online, so I have no idea if it looks similar or not.

My point is, I tend to go with my gut feeling when it comes to appreciating art, or creating it for that matter, not what other people like.

My gut is telling me I like what you did up there, I try to keep an open mind for the most part when it comes to art, so I probably like a lot of shit people hate on this site.

Not sure if my rambling is helpful in any way, just hoping you fight through feeling comfortable/uncomfortable and keep trying new stuff and evolving.

Thanks Mercer.

I think I'm gonna build of the "crisp look" for now and keep it strictly acrylic and ditch the spray paint for a bit.

The "before" of the piece just felt so childish to me.

The new look feels "young and hip with a splash of classy" /NH

• Like 1

Im not a big person on abstract but its really because I havent given much time delving into it. This thread has brought much interest into my mind. As for Bojangles and his piece...Three things on the orginal picture bothered me. I had a hard time enjoying it as a whole. My eye kept shifting around to those 3 areas....the eye, the wing, and the red.

I like the adjustments so far yet the wing still needs something but Im not sure. The red still aggravates me for some reason. I dont know if its the inconsistency in the thickness of the darker red outline or the sharp spike turned fluid so quickly. Either way Bojangles you do an excellent job non the less. But like someone stated a few posts up it doesnt have what your other pieces have when it comes to everything just flowing.

I cant hate though on trying new things...Im still stuck in a state of transition between many forms of art.

:edit: being I posted while you did I missed your comment...yes it did seem to have a bit of childishness in it, a look of inexperience. Maybe thats that the red makes me feel.

Spent so long typing that didn't see the newer version.

I like the second version better only because the colors in the photo seem to look realer.

The eye was a little distracting but the wing wasn't, at least to me, either way though, good painting.

trying my hand with abstracts, just a sketch and marker, really need to read some stuff on abstracts because I just find I am almost random doodling and making lines, but hey at least it is enjoyable and a change from characters or letters

DSC02617.jpg

crits are always welcomed

trying my hand with abstracts, just a sketch and marker, really need to read some stuff on abstracts because I just find I am almost random doodling and making lines, but hey at least it is enjoyable and a change from characters or letters

DSC02617.jpg

crits are always welcomed

i find myself doing the same thing, but i like how that looks.

bojangles your updated piece is so much nicer, especially the updated wing; wasnt feeling the other one

bojangles

have u ever thought about going in a completely different direction? Like using really watery paint, or thick oils or something totally different? Im curious to see how it would turn out...

yeah id like to see that. seems like your stuff is a bit constrained to tight lines.

i think u could do some dope water color or gouache paint abstracts