what are you reading?

yukier

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the author talks cash shit about wu li masters. mostly for just being dated and stretching new(at the time) concepts to fit with zen ideas.

the physics of consciousness.deals with alot of zen-ish things but i wouldnt reccomend it to laypersons, the first 150 pages are very technical and hard to follow before he gets to the good shit, about consciousness that is.

That sounds pretty awesome. I'm gonna have to put it on my list.

I should be getting this next week, can't wait to read it:

kurzweil-singularity.jpg

It is taking me absolutely forever to read this.

Illuminatus.jpg

Also:

0613918444.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

fuck yeah man the illuminatus trilogy is the shit.. i have read that book about 15 times.. I actually spent about a month tripping and reading the whole book..

AUS04.jpg

1920885366.jpg

Both quite extraudinary early australian histories. The former is a history from below, more or less focussing on the convict element of Australia's founding. Some of the stories are ridiculously violent. I also like how the British legally sentenced men to floggings, on their way to the hangman. Was it really neccessary for a state to whip someone senseless before killing them? These kind of things are ttypical of the story. Art majors will recotgnise the author from 'the shock of the new'

Dancing with Strangers is a history of race relations between the british and the aboriginals. It focucesses on the first few years of contact. pretty amazing.

heres just what the mangled doctor ordered for ya.

briefer20history.jpg

i finished A Brief History of Time a couple months ago.. I started reading The Universe in a Nutshell (an extesnsion of Brief History) put put it down- my brain needed a break. Brief History was fucking intense.. but once i hit the chapter about black holes, the book got a lot more intresting.

I just finished this, and totally loved it...

0393316041.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

richard p. feynman has got to be the most intresting motherfucker who ever lived. even people who aren't into science books should read this.

i decieded to give my brain a break from phsyics/astronomy related reading.. so now i'm working on this book:

0142003166.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

**disclaimer: i'm a nerd :cool:

^ you would probably like this:

051604_a_short_history.jpg

word...i will keep an eye out for this. that book Mams posted looks interesting also.

as far as Hawking's book being difficult to read...it definitely can be. he says right in the intro that he isn't the best at conveying thoughts in writing. i've been doing some supplemental reading to help me better understand some of the stuff, but overall i don't find it too difficult to read.

Have you read any of his other stuff?

Cosmic Trigger and Sex, Drugs, and Magick were also recommended to me...

yes and yes, both good books.. also schrodinger's cat is fucking great.. I almost think it might be better then the trilogy in a way..

one more person says something about science and im starting physics superthread. el mammy im looking at you.

Do it.

I dunno if you'll like the idea, but it'll probably have to be in Crossfire. Not just because of the rules, but for quality discussion. This dude the.crooked has physics on lock, and he's often in there, plus, it'd get filled up with dumbness here in the 0.