double bass; anything less is faggot pussy shit for queers and girls!

seeking

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

double bass is a must in some music....I drum in a metal/grind hardcore type band, i used to play single bass when we were more punk/hc, but with metal its a must. there's shit you cant do with one, just like the destructive rolls and it sounds much better with grind when you have the machine gun blast goin...go listen to Dying Fetus or deicide and try to say that they'd be okay without double bass...it's undeniably one of man's greatest inventions.

• 4 years later...
Originally posted by Dirty_habiT+Nov 8 2001, 05:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirty_habiT - Nov 8 2001, 05:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Oh well, it doesn't matter what bands use it, my point is that there are drummers out there that sound like a double bass, just because they are so experienced. Using a double bass is kinda like wearin Air Jordan's to jump higher. Well, just my 2nd cent.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-ZENYTH.ASP@Nov 10 2001, 03:24 PM

And as much as it hurts to saw it,....fat black dude from the Dave Matthews band is pretty rad

I have been playing drums for 10+ years i have had a double bass pedal for a while but have now given it up just because of the type of music i was playing.

Dirty habit playing double bass is not like wearing air jordans to jump higher. Double bass is another part of the instrument. As a drummer saying your not going to learn double bass is like saying as a guitarist your not going to use a capo, whammy bar, pedals, or even how to play in a differnt tuning. The reason i learned how to play double bass was because it was an expansion of my sound and instrument and was going to make me better as a drummer by making me even more independance between my arms and legs.

Zenyth why does it hurt to say Carter Beuford (however you spell it) is nasty. The mans a fucking giant when it comes to playing. I listen to dave matthews just because of carter.

One of my kits this is Jessica

DSCN2113.jpg

my other kit victoria is a 6 peice yamaha maple absolute fucking god like

Guest Sparoism

Check out Ginger Baker in the final Cream show video from Royal Albert Hall in 1969....NAILING his kit to the riser.

He's playing double bass, no less...YEARS before death metal even existed.....good thread to bump, BTW.

But, I gotta give it up to anyone who can rock a trap kit. THAT is untouchable skill...on a par with doing a full-color, full-effect burner with stock caps.

It can be done...a lot of my drummer friends are throwing out all their gadgets and concentrating on the plain old boom-bap these days. And boy, does it sound GOOOOOOD.

A couple DO use their slave pedals on a single bass, however. Just for the roll. Doesn't detract from the experience in any way.

Guest Sparoism
Originally posted by Flavicon@Dec 14 2005, 02:59 PM

Vanni-Stefanini.jpg

mmmm, female bass players :love2:

THAT'S what I'm talking about...he's holding the sticks right and everything.

Good show, AND he's checking her out. Pimpalicious.

i want to start a band where every member in the band has a bass drum in front of them. and then you have to like, run in place, on the double bass pedals while you play guitar. or bass, or sing, or triangle etc.

and so the result is like quadruple or fiple bass. fiple? not fiple. fiiiive-ruple. fahh... umm... 5 times the double bass.

i don't really want to start a band like this. but maybe someone else could.

Originally posted by 26SidedCube@Dec 14 2005, 03:59 PM

Good drummers don't need a double bass to get that sound.

comments of this sort are strictly ignorant.

i'll say that jazz drummers (or those trained in jazz) tend to have incredible talent, that ends up applying to just about every genre that those drummers involve themselves in. and they tend to not use double bass pedals. thats ok. but metal's sound uses that bass pedal--sometimes bands don't use it--sometimes its abused, rambling... as was said its like an extension, i forgot where i was going with this... METAL FUCKING RULES... and i've got to admit kittie isn't that bad..

and people think goths are stupid because they are fucking stupid...........

Originally posted by Kr430n5_666+Nov 8 2001, 03:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kr430n5_666 - Nov 8 2001, 03:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>kittie is why everyone thinks goths are fucking stupid because they mislead everyones thoughts.

[/b]

Originally posted by --zeSto--@Nov 8 2001, 04:49 PM

damn... and I though this whole things was about double 'upright' bass.

nothing soft about the stringed acoustic bass. Those things are bigger than most poeple!

<!--QuoteBegin-Smart@Nov 9 2001, 01:19 AM

oh, and for the topic... I thought we were talking about the stand-up bass as well, what is that? the contrabass? anyway.. as far as double bass drums go... take your bitch to Buddy Rich... purity is the path

this thread is so old. i remember readin all this shit before i even registered as a member. Funny to see it up again...

born in 1924 81 years old still playing out louie bellson basically invented using double bass

Duke Ellington called him "the world's greatest drummer,"

At 15, he pioneered the double-bass-drum set-up.

At 17, he triumphed over 40,000 drummers to win the Slingerland National Gene Krupa contest

i saw him live its amazing

Videos of bellson in action

BellsonLouie.jpg

Originally posted by theGOON+Dec 14 2005, 09:26 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (theGOON - Dec 14 2005, 09:26 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-26SidedCube@Dec 14 2005, 03:59 PM

Good drummers don't need a double bass to get that sound.

comments of this sort are strictly ignorant.

i'll say that jazz drummers (or those trained in jazz) tend to have incredible talent, that ends up applying to just about every genre that those drummers involve themselves in. and they tend to not use double bass pedals. thats ok. but metal's sound uses that bass pedal--sometimes bands don't use it--sometimes its abused, rambling... as was said its like an extension, i forgot where i was going with this... METAL FUCKING RULES... and i've got to admit kittie isn't that bad..

and people think goths are stupid because they are fucking stupid...........

[/b]

exactly..obviously 26 hasnt heard lamb of god.or just doesnt like good metal.

Archived