Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have to agree with STYLEISKING, "Deathproof" was the better of the two "Grindhouse" films. Not that I didn't like "Planet Terror".

I had missed this old reply about the car chase in french connection, sorry.

I meant they didn't have official permission to shoot the movie there... all NYC cops were their friends so they had them block the streets...

or so they claim in the dvd commentary.

I think they used the word "stealing", but I might be wrong. anyway by scenes I meant shots or whatever

here's the chase

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WqRaLUN98aY

Awesome. I just watched "French Connection II", it was a decent film, but nothing close to the original.

• 2 weeks later...

^^ What movie?

LOCK - STOCK owns... you must be slow.

I'm pretty fast when I sprint, but I can't run for too long because I smoke cigarettes. Unless it's to catch the train or running from the cops, then I can run pretty far. But regardless, I did not enjoy "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels", I thought it was boring and pointless and cheap. To each his own.

Guest shai_hulud

Three good ones, all super artsy-fartsy (the blurbs are from Wikipedia)-

FAUST- Jan Švankmajer's film Faust was made in the Czech Republic in 1994. It merges live-action footage with stop-motion footage and includes imaginative puppetry and claymation. The Faust character is played by Petr Čepek. The film was produced by Jaromír Kallista. Although the film does not serve to accurately portray the Faustus legend, it utilizes the legend in a rather imaginative way, borrowing and blending elements from the story as told by Goethe and Christopher Marlowe with traditional folk renditions. It has a distinctly Modernist, Absurdist, Kafkaesque feel, especially with the setting in Prague. The tone is dark but humorous. The voices in the English version were provided by Andrew Sachs.

I liked it. It's hard to follow, but it all makes sense in the end. Can't go wrong with Faustus.

EL TOPO - (The Mole) is a 1970 Mexican allegorical, cult western movie and underground film, directed by and starring Alejandro Jodorowsky. Characterized by its bizarre characters and occurrences, use of maimed and dwarf performers, and heavy doses of Christian symbolism and Eastern philosophy, the film is about the eponymous character - a violent, black-clad gunfighter - and his quest for enlightenment.

HOW COULD YOU TOP THAT???? Welll....

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN- La montaña sagrada (The Holy Mountain, reissued as The Sacred Mountain) is a 1973 cult film directed by Alejandro Jodorowsky who also participated as actor, composer, set designer, and costume designer. The film was produced by Beatles manager Allen Klein of ABKCO after Jodorowsky scored an underground phenomenon with El Topo and the acclaim of both John Lennon and George Harrison (John and Yoko Ono put up production money). It was shown at various international film festivals in 1973 and limited screenings in New York and San Francisco. However the film was never given wide release until 2007, when a restored print toured the United States, screening with El Topo, and released in DVD format from May 1st.

The film is based on "The Ascent of Mt. Carmel" by St. John of the Cross and "Mount Analogue: A Novel of Symbolically Authentic Non-Euclidean Adventures in Mountain Climbing" by Rene Daumal, a student of G.I. Gurdjieff. In particular, much of Jodoworsky's visually psychedelic story follows the metaphysical thrust of "Mount Analogue" such as the climb to the Alchemist, the assembly of individuals with specific skills, the discovery of the mountain that unites Heaven and Earth "that cannot not exist" and symbolic challenges along the mountain ascent. Daumal died before finishing his allegorical novel, and Jodorowsky's improvised ending provides a clever way of completing the Work (symbolic and otherwise.)

Sleep made an album based on this movie. 'Nuff said.

All highly recommended.

Some that I've seen recently that I would recommend:

51P49Y7MBML._SS500_.jpg

The first zombie film ever made. Stars Bela Lugosi and Madge Bellamy, who later shot her millionaire ex-boyfriend for cheating on her, and said something along the lines of "I only just nicked him, I know what I'm doing, I'm a crackshot". The acting ain't always so hot, but it's quite an elegant film and was the catalyst for every zombie film that came after.

i_walked_with_a_zombie.jpg

I Walked with a Zombie (1943), similar to White Zombie in that it also deals with the Haitian voodoo zombie, but this was a much different type of horror film, filled with ambiguity and subtlety, where everything is not what it seems. A very cerebral film, one of nine, low-budget horror films that Val Lewton produced for RKO in the 1940s. They hired him because they thought he would produce standard, generic horror films but he had something else in mind.

411XlwlukDL._SS500_.jpg

Not as good as the comic, but still an entertaining, scary vampire flick. They left out a key plot development from the end of the comic that really should have been left in. Other than that I liked it.

51J8WABD9XL._SS500_.jpg

I've probably posted this before, but this was a great film. Forget the shit re-make that came out recently, this is miles above that garbage. Far ahead of it's time and viciously brutal, both physically and psychologically. A great look at a dystopian future where corporations rule the world and only one sport is played, Rollerball, in order to not only pacify the masses, but to brainwash them into believing that individuality leads to death. James Caan stands up to the man, and creates a legend.

51zQVTSEi2L._SS500_.jpg

Lots of people didn't like this film, it seems, and my buddy hated it. But it was promoted all wrong, the studio tried to sell it as a horror film when it is really about the psychological breakdown of a woman into paranoid schizophrenia. It's based on a popular, intelligent stage play, another reason people who were expecting a cheap horror thriller like Saw were let down.

51yA-QP9J9L._SS500_.jpg

Based very closely on the book, from what I've heard. The Coen brother's latest film, done only as they can do it. It is more Blood Simple then Fargo, maybe somewhere in-between the two. A very good film, a very scary villain, and a refreshing return to the dramatic for the Coen Brothers.

Movies I've seen that bored me or just were not very worthwhile: Lucky Number Slevin (gayest name ever), Ocean's Thirteen was total trash and very boring, The Pursuit of Happyness was fairly generic and too family-friendly.

My film professor, who is also a movie critic, went to a screening of Hitman, and said that it was better than a movie based on a video game has a right to be. He writes for Cinema Fantastique, among other publications. He says it was mostly an action film, but at times it was surprisingly intelligent, yet still ultimately just an action film. His biggest criticism, and this makes total sense, is that if you send out a world-class assassin to kill someone secretly and then blend into the crowd, why would you want to send out a bald-dude in a suit with a bar-code on the back of his head? He might as well hold a sign up saying "I'm the guy who did it!"