NBC'S "THE APPRENTICE" GRAFFITI BATTLE

InnerCityRebel

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All bickering aside about how graffiti is going commercial and how old Pink is... here is my opinion of the show. Keep in mind that I have never watched The Apprentice, and only tuned in to see how badly they molested graffiti on this episode... Also, I am a writer and I work as an artist in the video game industry, so...

First of all, I laughed when the Donald said 'I don't like graffiti."

I have a great deal of respect for Pink, but picking her to do a video game add was just a bad move. Her style is way too soft and painterly to even lend itself slightly to a video game like GT4.

They passed over Sub?? Perfect condidate for painting a PS2 ad. Just stupid.

They should have consulted with the artists on the concept... The 'contestant teams' on the show came up with the themes for the murals, which had nothing to do with selling the fucking game at all (sorry, it may sound sell-out-ish, but that was the whole point of the task). This is why Erni's shit looked like something you would see in a Lowrider Arte magazine (c'mon, dude could have come way better if he was painting from his own concept). In looking at both of these walls, neither of them says GT4 to me. They both failed in that respect, and that is due to the dildo's on the show, not the writers.

The show was pretty much lame.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Glik0@Feb 25 2005, 09:21 AM

It's really sad the amount of amazing writers they could have found in New York to do this, yet wind up with something that looks like that.

Basically thats what you get when you hire an advertisement company whom really dont know their assholes from their elbows in the world of graffiti.

"Oh man we saw her on Style Warz, she does art shows, lets get her!"

Wack wickitty wack.

i think you summed it up pretty well.

man, fuck ya'll whiny vaginas. only pussies who spend their entire career in a black book give a shit about bullshit like this. 'video games are gonna make kids write their name on their backpacks and blah blah'! fuck off faggot. is a toy with a marker really fucking with your fame? if so, YOU SUCK. all so fucking worried about how graff is getting ripped off by video games and donald trump and being made all safe for housewives and tea parties.... wwaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh. apparently you homos must not bomb, cause if you did you'd realize that shit is getting MORE hectic in the streets, not less. the more graff gets in the media, the more shit gets hot, the higher the stakes, and the less faggots mafuckers like me got to compete with. as far as i'm concerned, bring that shit. let mark eckos never was a writer bitch ass put out his fucking game. hell just hire some fucking haggard beast like pink to promote that shit anyway. HOOOMOOOOOOOOOO. remember how everyone was all worried about jetset radio?! yeah that really ruined the fucking scene didn't it! fuck off. fuck ecko, fuck playstation and fuck ernie. i would say fuck pink but i wouldnt fuck her with eckos dick an ernie pushing.

oh yeah, anyone remember back when ecko was spelled ECHO an then he had to change it cause he's a bitch?! cause the streets dooooooooooooooooooooo. udd homo! get off the dickkkkkkkkk.

in defense of the writers..you have to realize they werent able to sit down and sketch a wall ahead of time..they had to do it off the visions of people who never even realized what graffiti or making a mural was.Pink and crash were bombing trains when most of us were in diapers shitting our pants.paving the way for what we do now. And you cant hate on the fact that they did it.If any of us were in there shoes we would of done it.Money is money.If you would of gave them a few days to plan what they want to do off there own vision.You would of seen two amazing walls.

im down to bring back the 80's!!!!

shit, i already have the mullett and

my WINGER, NELSON and RATT t-shirts!!!!

id sell out in a minute, just so i could 15 minutes

of fame and bang that skank paris hilton...

everybody else got to... i mean why not me?

i always wanted the clap anyway....

That shit was wack any which way you cut it. Cool that writers made a few bucks on got 30 seconds of fame, but that doesnt mean it was any better. Just cause they used real writers dont mean it's got substance, it just means that the check was big enough to get them to sellout. I'm not saying that big corporations can't do shit with writers thats credibal (sp?). All the dunks that futura2000 did are crazy fresh and nobody is calling him a sellout for doing it. The Calvin Klein purfume bottles with Futura, Espo were really fresh and Calvin Klein doesnt know shit about graff. (wonder why they didnt pick Kaws since he did all the Calvin Klein posters?) Fact is companies respect the art and when they get with writers and let writers do their thing, it can be fresh. It just has to be done proper, and not dictated by some idiot agency or retard designer so that basically they just steal the look and put out some bullshit. To me it's a matter of paying respects, and when it's done, the respect shows. When it's just some company trying to make a fast buck off the look, shit is obvious whether they use real writers or not. Case in point: the Apprentice show, and also recently, the Cope2 Converse shoe.

steph3ca.jpg

"I would choose Stephony."

graffiti2ro.jpg

"I'm not thrilled with graffiti, I don't like graffiti, but some of it is truely amazing"

graffiti25kk.jpg

"What you are going to be doing is building a billboard, USING GRAFFITI, for play station's newest product!"

george2ak.jpg

"Hello, I am George."

graphics4yf.jpg

"This game has very good graphics."

metafore7sz.jpg

"The city [Harlem] is like a metafore for the game!"

city5zj.jpg

"The transition from the mean streets to like a more revitilized city!"

videogame9wo.jpg

"Hey! This is a VIDEO GAME we are talkin about here!"

jungle2vy.jpg

"I don't think a jungle is very hip hop."

meanstreets4nn.jpg

"The game didn't have no mean streets in it!"

niggas2ez.jpg

"I just decided to ask people in the street what they like...how's it goin?"

money5hb.jpg

"(White Guy Not Pictured) - What says to you urban - what could we put in here to make this game speak to you?

-(This Guy) - Like money fallin from the sky!"

eforeveryone6ci.jpg

"I would definitely buy this game for my son because it says e for everyone and doesn't have curses."

nicemural3mu.jpg

"If I was drivin by I would just think 'nice mural' and wouldn't even know it was a game."

i saw the show too. The murals were hella wack. However, keep in mind these people had a day and some to do it up, and had a bunch of stupid rich folk always changing their goddamn minds and coming up with dumb ideas. That one chick who wanted to make it "urban" was sooo stupid, i felt like smacking her in the face. She tried way too hard to market a damn product. As for the Lady Pink side, that white boy who talked to all the hood kids to ask them how to make the mural connect with them more was so dumb. The people he talked to were stupid too "yeh man add some bling bling in there." "like money falling from the sky" "it needs some like money" FUCK Y'ALL! DRAW A GODDAMN CAR and write Granturismo4 for fucks sake. The most important element of the fucking game(the sick cars) werent even done up proper. The cars in the murals look soo fucking wack its sad. They both failed in my eyes. Choosing Lady Pink to do this shit was stupid too...way to get a hella oldschool art fag writer to do a new school AD. Good job! Passing on SUB was the second biggest mistake these people made. Sub would've torn it up. I could've won this task and done a better job. None of these apprentice kids know shit. Fire all of them!

subleinw.jpg

newgen.jpg

Originally posted by why write?@Feb 25 2005, 01:36 AM

i know....RE-LIVE the 80's!! im gonna bring that shit back

everybody is only doing shit for money now a days, nobody does shit that they want to do for fun/themselves....cmoon bring back the times of actually having a 'hobby' that doesnt have to do with your job....

When graffiti got big for a bit in the 80s, little kids were making money at gallery showings and such for their work. Basically, mainstream media has always tried to make graffiti a commodity, and the only way to avoid that is if every writer on earth said no to jobs. Not happening.

Basically, I see it like this: underground culture (Graffiti, raves, industrial, etc., etc.) is really underground only for a limited time. It always takes a couple of years and gets watered down and stretched out (think kitsch) and becomes a mainstream trend for about 6 months. I remember going to raves and being really into that culture, my (non-rave going) friends would hear some of the music I listen to and be like "wow, thats awesome, blah blah" and I would say, give it 2 years and this shit will be on KTU. Low and behold, samples and trends from jungle/dnb, discohouse, breaks, etc. are all over commericials and TV two years later. Its life, its annoyin when youre part of the culture and shit gets all messed up due to popularity, but that only gives incentive for you to try to be progressive and start new underground trends.

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by 2BLAZZED@Feb 27 2005, 03:24 PM

in defense of the writers..you have to realize they werent able to sit down and sketch a wall ahead of time..they had to do it off the visions of people who never even realized what graffiti or making a mural was.Pink and crash were bombing trains when most of us were in diapers shitting our pants.paving the way for what we do now. And you cant hate on the fact that they did it.If any of us were in there shoes we would of done it.Money is money.If you would of gave them a few days to plan what they want to do off there own vision.You would of seen two amazing walls.

Had to quote this cause it makes good sense!

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Feb 22 2005, 09:39 PM

THE APPRENTICE #306

AIR DATE: 02-24-2005 9:00PM

"The Writing on the Wall" - The candidates compete in a corporate graffiti advertising task for a new video game. One team paints themselves into a corner while the other does their market research. The winners are treated like supermodels while the losers get off track in the boardroom when the 7th candidate is fired

queued for download.... and yeah those murals... :cough: which one was the shitty one? I know it's the bottom one obviously. whatever.

Archived