bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

got new wheels for the old fixed a little bit ago. totally screwed up though.. non machined. did the bridge pedal with the front brake on anyway (because i was told they would inspect bikes to make sure safety requirements were met... lie.) and clipped in, worst experience on a ride ever. granola hippies are kinda like old drivers. anyway, when the roads are dry, i feel more comfortable without the front brake for some reason. totally wish i had a machined front though for this up coming fall weather. front brakes are legit. p.s. the podium seat with the chode hole sucks. bike shorts are a luxury none should be without.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Bike Thief Caught Red-Handed Gets His Ass Handed to Him.[/url]

That guy got off easy.

One time I kicked a tweaker in the ass as hard as I could (with bike shoes) when I saw him trying to pop a lock with a jack. He smacked his head against the parking meter and when he shook it off I was standing over him with the jack...a couple of my friends saw what was going on, grabbed the jack, then got some shots in on him. We were gonna toss him in a dumpster and lock it shut but we were across the street from the cop shop so we let it go.

Back in the 90s some messenger friends of mine heard about a bike thief/tweaker camp out near Third Street in SF, so they went out there one afternoon in a pickup with boltcutters and gasoline. They ran two dudes off, cut the chains off of all the stolen bikes and loaded the truck. Then they doused the camp with gas and torched it.

Another friend of mine- who's a pretty big black dude- saw a tweaker riding his recently stolen bike downtown. He ran straight at the guy, tackled him off the bike in the middle of Market Street, then proceeded to drag him out of traffic and beat the living shit out of him on the sidewalk.

SF is not a good city to get caught slipping if you're a bike thief.

• Like 1

I mentioned earlier in here that I was building a frame from the ground up. Well I finally finished so here's a little photo rundown of the project:

bikeo01.jpg

Basic geometry, measuring and putting the design down on paper - angles and all that. + the shop dog who's a handsome devil

biker02.jpg

Next was mitering all the tubes and checking the angles to the drawing, then putting the lugs on and correcting for the right angles.

biker03.jpg

Now comes the brazing, which wasn't really to hard to pick up on, but my initial work was a bit sloppy. Acetylene torch, glasses and a brass rod. All the goop and white shit on the joints is flux to keep things from oxidizing. Essentially you heat the tube and lug up till it's red hot, place some brass at the joint and then heat the lug so it sucks the molten brass through the joint to the other side by way of capillary action.

biker04.jpg

A lot more of the same, but you can see the bike taking shape, also getting the dropouts into place. As you can see the bike was made without a proper jig. The way everything was set correctly was by brazing a joint and then checking it on an alignment table and cold setting it as necessary, kind of a pain in the ass but you can make sure everything is where you want it each step of the way.

biker05.jpg

So i started this frame and of course a couple weeks in I get in a wreck, took me out for a while and I had to take time off the frame to deal with a lot of other shit. Finally about 3 weeks ago I got back on it and finished all the brazing. As you can see the frame has a little rust on the tubes from sitting around.

biker06.jpg

So that's the frame right before and after I dropped it off at the powder coater. All the rust gets sand blasted off before they paint it. It also takes a shit ton of cleanup work on the dropouts and lugs to get the frame nice and pretty before paint. Lots of filing and grinding and sanding to get things smooth - if you care to have them that way. I chose the color 'golden valentine' because it has gold flakes that really pop off in the sunlight, bright ass color.

biker07.jpg

I tried to be all slick by doing a fancy paint job on it. I made a few flourishes and graphics in Illustrator and got them printed as vinyl cut outs to make a stencil to paint over. Fucking difficult as shit to get them placed right with the amount of detail in them, it gave them all cause to stick to themselves and make my life a pain. Painted them with white 1shot and the result just made me more furious but what could I do. I named the bike GOAT JUGGERNAUT because it's a tuff ass name for a bike and shit like Allez and CXO-KARBON-239 are wack.

After applying the white accents the frame had to go back to the powder coater for a clear coat.

biker08.jpg

Frame back, the heat from the oven made the red bleed into the white so it tinted all the accents. I was worried they might turn bright pink but it's more of a tonal red. Fuck, I got super bummed the paint didn't turn out the way I wanted but a lot of shit this is hard to know how it's going to react in the oven, live and learn for next time. So then I built that dirty cocksucker up and got it down on the road. I ordered a lot of budget parts because my wallets been hurting, a lot of wholesale Soma shit, sugino cranks, nitto drops. Put my old ultra cool fashion deep-v wheel set on there and some new tires. Bike rides dope. Super comfortable, aligned correctly and tracks straight.

It feels good to set off to build something like this from scratch and finally see the end result and be able to use it every day. I'll ride it around for a while just to make sure it won't explode then it'll see some track time. Next frame is going to be built on a jig and tig welded - got the wheels turning on a more aggressive track design.

Hope some people enjoyed looking at this, maybe gives a little insight into how a custom frame it made.

goatjuggernaut01.jpg

• Like 5

Dedacciai tubes, Long Shen lugs/drop outs, pretty cheap basic stuff.

Yeah my Obama card is wild gay, just never bothered to take it out.

The whole frame + parts and paint came out to about $550, I had the wheels/headset/bottom bracket laying around so that's not included in the cost. All in all not too bad for a custom bike, lots of time was put into it though.

What are you talking about? A front brake is the most help you can get in a serious situation. If the aim is to stop fast, the front brake can't be beat.

If you are going fast and you hit your front brake super tough you are going to go over the handle bars and eat shit. This shit happened to me not too long ago. Riding your bike super high is still fun to do though..

If you are going fast and you hit your front brake super tough you are going to go over the handle bars and eat shit. This shit happened to me not too long ago. Riding your bike super high is still fun to do though..

That only happens to newbies for the most part. You have to learn to stiffen up your arms and brace them against the bars and you won't have any problems flying over anymore.