I don't know... some wooden thing.

IMG_4027.JPG

Look at these fucking stupid wheels...

IMG_4069.JPG

I've always liked De Rosa bikes.

IMG_4105.JPG

This wacky looking thing...

IMG_4141.JPG

Cancellara's bike... even SRAM changed their red details to yellow for this bike.

IMG_4310.JPG

I've been liking that wacky Noah frame shape lately... not sure why.

There's a ton of photos here - http://picasaweb.google.de/LukeNRG/EuroBike2009?authkey=Gv1sRgCNCAgKCf4u__iwE# - don't have time to sift through them all.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
I didn't spend more than $300 on my first road bike either. I'm glad I used that old bike for cruising around town and building some bike handling skills. Its still my bike of choice for locking up on the street. My Trek I use now feels light as a feather compared to my old bike and it has way too much sentimental value to ever risk getting it stolen (a gift from a former love).

My friends from out of town got me into riding bikes. It was their transportation method of choice and I had to immediately catch on to join them at the bars. Its kind of nice to see people in Los Angeles catching onto riding. Its a combination of the transplants/out-of-towners who brought their bikes with them, and young kids just following another fashion trend.

I loved going to cyclo-cross races in the Winter and crits in the Spring. Its been a breath of fresh air to learn about interests outside of art and graffiti.

It is good to see a stubborn car culture get into the bike thing.. It'd be nicer to see it stay cemented for a long time as well.. I'm hoping the next good job I get will allow me to bike to work.

It's funny, now I hate walking to places somewhat(unless looking for graffiti flicks) but now if I go to the liquor I'll hop on my bike and go to one some distance a way just to ride some..

No.

Compact geometry is a great way for bike companies to sell sizes to a wider range of people while producing less sizes. It also "stiffens" the rear end (not really where it counts though), and makes the advertised weight a few grams lighter (of which the longer seatpost you need to ride it will even things out). On mountain bikes it actually makes sense for the standover clearance... on road bikes not so much.

Joker, have you ridden any of the Fire Lanes off Leif Erikson? I'm curious to know which ones are good for a cross bike.

Rubbish...

I have ridden Firelane 5 about five times now, including once going up. It's really fun and all downhill but the last half of it is really technical which is good for cross. I have also ridden Firelane 3 or 1... not sure which one it is. It's the one that lets you out right where HWY 30 and St Helens road meet. It wasn't that great, don't recommend it. If it's wet out I would ride Maple Trail even though no bikes are allowed. That is an awesome trail. I've ridden it twice and only ran into walkers once who just smiled and let me by. But I've heard some people can be hostile about bikes on that trail.

I really like 5 though. Not sure if you've been down it before but if you stay on Lief Erickson and then where Saltzman and Erickson intersect, go left on Saltzman. I think the entrance is about half a mile up on your right. Or you can take Saltzman all the way up to the gate, and then go through the second gate on the right and take that trail... it runs right into 5. Seriously, fun.

This might make you laugh.....

You guys know about swooping magpies?? No? See

and

On this mornings ride, on 3 separate occasions I got hit about 12-15 times.

First one, I'm riding up this short hill and then suddenly BANG the bird flies into the back of my head, then again, again, again, again...

The other times I saw a shadow on the ground flying towards my head, still got hit a bunch of times, I had to sprint to get away from it.

from my knowledge most french bikes have swiss bottom bracket threading which is opposite of normal bbs and are a royal pain in the ass to fuck with and costly as well, most older and vintage peugot, motobecanes and gitanes have these swiss threaded bbs.

Close, but...French BBs were 35 mm x 1 mm (1.378" x 25.4 TPI), right-hand thread on both sides. Swiss were 35 mm x 1 mm (1.378" x 25.4 TPI), left-hand-threaded fixed cup (right side), right-hand-threaded adjustable cup (left side.) The diameter and thread pitch are the same as French, but the Swiss fixed (right side) cup has a left-hand thread.

If you want to really tear your hair out, try fucking around with French freewheels, Normandie track hubs and lockrings, Helicomatic hubs, or old Stronglight headsets. One trick I learned when taking old French bikes apart was to spread a bedsheet out under the stand so if anything fell I'd be able to see it, and to use Dixie cups for each part (one for BB, one for the headset, one per hub)...you only need to fuck up at this once or twice.

I mentioned this a while ago....has anyone here ever seen "The Data Book?" If you're interested in French bikes and line drawing it's worth every penny.

Sorry to jump in here with some amateur hour type shit, but I need some bike buying advice, and I couldn't possibly be less knowledgeable about the subject. (I started skateboarding at 14, and haven't really ridden a bike since.)

My wife wants a bike to ride around town with her friends. She's not trying to ride to work every morning or jet around Manhattan-- just something she can cruise out to Coney Island for the afternoon or take to the gym. I'm planning to find something on Craigslist, hopefully for under 200 bucks or so, that she can keep locked up outside and not have to worry about too much.

I know fixed gears are all the rage, and I'm actually a pretty big fan of them design wise, despite never having ridden one. But she's not the most co-ordinated person (despite being very athletic), so I'm wondering if she'd be safer on more of a cruiser bike or a stripped down 3 speed or something. She wants a hand-brake too.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks dudes.

Sounds like a craigslist single-speed or cruiser bike is in order for her. I think you're right on track. Something old, steel, and reliable. Figure out what size she needs, make a search for it on CL and keep the results bookmarked for the next week or two to scour a deal.

Since you say she's not that coordinated, I'd steer clear of a fixed gear unless you throw a couple of brakes on it.

• Like 1

im posting from the shenandoa 100 right now in virginia.

probly about 600 riders here

GaryFisher/Subaru team as well as the 29er Crew.

i rode up with the local team for moral support and to fuck around. im about to go out and see if i can con some gear out of some drunken idiots, theres quite a few mtb riders who think its a good idea to get hammered the night before a 100 mile endurance race.

the deal i had to get sram xx components fell through, he wanted to sell it as a complete group and i only had money to buy one part at a time so he sold it to a friend. so now i need some stuff, fuck a 32 pound rigid steel frame parkpre. love it to death, but my joints dont.

and i watched a guy fall and break his neck the other day at the trails. it was his first time ever mountain biking and he decided to attempt the foot wide wood bridge thats elevated 8 feet off the ground and snakes around a bunch of trees and over the trail. he fell off, landed head first. lost feeling in his legs, tried to get up (which probably just fucked his spine up even more) and then said he couldnt feel his arms. had to get him airlifted out, pretty crazy. i just hope his dumbass self doesnt sue and get the trails shut down.

Harvey Wallbanger, you can also find bikes around your neighborhood. Considering where you live, I bet you can find a decent used one at a bike shop. eBay has bikes too but the shipping charges are steep. I do not recommend a fixed gear for your wife. Gears are her friends. If she had to make sharp turn down a hill, she'll be flying (possibly onto and over a car!)

I think the most difficult part is finding a frame for her size, especially if she's a shorty. Good luck.

And saw that you did pretty damn well! 3rd overall, correct? I've never heard of a CX stage race but it sounded pretty interesting.

2nd overall... third in the actual CX race though.

The TT was surprising. I was just trying to keep the bike upright with the wet corners as my crappy stock Kenda knobbies do not corner well at all on pavement and I probably could have gone a little harder.

In the crit I flatted out on the 2nd lap, got a front wheel from a friend in the crowd who was standing exactly where I flatted, took my free lap at the pit and got back on the group for 1/2 lap then made a solo break on the third lap and stayed off for the rest of it. I didn't even really plan that or think about it, it just felt right at the time with no one really pushing the pace. Surprised myself because I can't pull that on the track, crits or PIR and get away with it by myself, that's for sure.

The CX race was brutal! I led the first lap, started getting blown up and losing coordination after that, and got passed by two guys. I dropped my chain about 4 times. I actually got my front wheel stuck in the middle of a narrow wood bridge too (two long planks with a gap in the center just wide enough for your tire to sink in), flew over my bars on that one and bent a shifter inward. My running fitness is really bad... there was a section with about 6 barriers just far enough that you couldn't ride between them but running them was a long pain, and my legs were shutting down on that one by lap 2. Also, the course opened with a very steep run up that took a good 45 seconds or so to get to the top and had even some B's and A's at "leisurely" walking pace on it by the end.

is the late great ray charles in charge of the design team at bianchi?

what is this garbage?

bianchisuperpista-thumb.jpg

welds are dirty, itegrated aluminum seat collar issue has not been resolved, and matte black, christ.

compare that to either of these.

3905053891_cba11820c3.jpg

one good part, it makes me happy bianchi sent me a D2

because i woulda been awful disappointed to pull that turd outta the box.

and why are they gonna have a D2 superpista and a US superpista?

apparently the D2 costs more. arent they like $800 bucks, while this is $750?

too much vino i guess.

agreed. still though, this aint 2004.

and they did change it a bit, the seat tube appears to be teardropped now.

nothing bianchi is doing right now is getting me jazzed.

i just figure bianchi has a jumpstart on the econo pista market and now its all gone stale.

painting the same steel frame four different colors?

so innovative.

but no you arent drunk, or maybe you are, but that doesnt invalidate your point.

Joker, you ride Tabor on your CX bike yet?

I went out there today. Looks like Ironclad has some informal team practice there on Thursdays... they were doing laps around the whole area. Also, my friend showed me his pretty sweet little technical cross course complete with sand, downhill U-turns and a 7 or so flight of stairs run up.