bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
So I'm probably going to end up using a powertap starting next month. There's a problem though... the wheel/hub will be a road wheel/hub and the bike I use in the winter is set up for disc brakes. So I'm trying to figure out a way to add a V-Brake to my winter bike and came across this...

bsdn-v-plate.jpg

Has anyone used one of these things before and could I use it for the purpose I need it for? I would also have to drill a hole in the cross beam between the seat stays... which is kinda freakin' me out.

Or is there another idea out there that I'm not thinking of? Beside buying another bike...

I used one of those on an older MTB frame. It did not have the hole in the cross beam so I just used more hose clamps to keep it in place. I had no problems with it.

Thats your best bet...

I am looking into building one,

spending like 200$ for the Kilo TT frame, and hubs tires chain etc etc

prolly will cost at least 500$ in the end.

In fact once I get my frame I was thinking of taking pics of the build and letting other people contribute ideas and shit.

Im going to get a Kilo TT white frame, and then go with green for the majority of components.

Oh shit I'm about to get balls deep in this shit right here

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Campagnolo-Record-Bottom-Bracket-French-Thread_W0QQitemZ220475322235QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item33555a6f7b&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

And most of these single speed conversion kits are for shimano hubs? I dont have that. Would I need to build a new wheel? But a shimano hubbed back wheel?

Weren't you going to buy a prebuilt bike? It's great you want to do this and everything, but take it from someone who knows bikes...you couldn't have picked a worse first project.

When I was working at this one shop in SF, some hipster brought in a really nice Peugeot road bike...

1986PX10.jpg

...in near mint condition and wanted us to make it into a fixed gear. We tried to explain that a) there was absolutely nothing wrong with the bike and b) hassling with the parts and getting everything to work together would have cost more than a brand new basic track bike. He was pretty adamant about wanting THIS bike done a certain way, so we pretty much had to refuse to help him.

Apparently he went to a couple other shops in town that did conversions and complained that we wouldn't do what he wanted, and they all backed us up...not because we were all in cahoots with each other, but because we told him the truth.

What's going to happen with building this bike is that you're going to sink a bunch of money into buying parts, you'll get stuck at some trivial point and need a part or some advice and no one's going to be able to help you.

I'm being very straight with you about this. It's a nice frame, I agree with you there...but unless you have access to a ton of French parts and tools and have someone to walk you through the build, it's going to be a very expensive, frustrating waste of time.

• Like 1

Do you have a Record crankset? There's another eighty bucks.

To get that bike built, expect to pay no less than $400-500 for parts and tools and be prepared to lose about a third of the value of the BB alone if you get stuck.

Another reason I'm saying all this is to preempt me from dealing with your headaches, because I KNOW I'm probably one of the three or four people on here who actually knows how to work on French bikes, specifically Gitanes. I've owned several, they are extremely fussy.

Unless you've got a few years of experience working on bikes and some side experience with vintage road bikes you're trying to piss up a rope here.

In all honesty, a lot of people get caught up in what's a nice bike and what's cool for right now. If you're cruising around the town or just using it to go to the bar cause you don't want to drive, anything with two wheels and brakes will work. Sure the Schwinn Cutter isn't the best basic bike out there but for dowmagik, it gets him around and he seems happy with it. If you want to put an asston of money into a bike because other people tell you its a nice frame and it's vintage and you want that prestige then sure do it I guess. If I were you, I'd find the first bike at a garage sale that fit me and just ride it. It's exactly what I did with my first bike and I still ride it as a daily commuter. Granted I now have a nice road bike for long rides, but I love being out on my bike for hours on end.

Speaking of, my fucking collar bone is taking decades to heal, I went for x-rays yesterday and he told me it should be ANOTHER 3 weeks to heal. Shit is mad lame.

C-Walk has some real good advice.. I didn't spend more than $300 for both my bikes put together and they both do exactly what I need them to do.. Which is make life easier until I get my license back and get some exercise.. Better to start cheap and figure out what you want and then work your way up. Mind you when I get more together I would like to have one real nice bike, so I keep in better shape..

If you want to put an asston of money into a bike because other people tell you its a nice frame and it's vintage and you want that prestige then sure do it I guess.\.

Don't do it, 90% of the people you'll talk to about bikes don't know shit from shinola. Just get the best bike you can afford right now and put the project aside.

I agree with Shai.

Honestly, it's pretty sad to see a beautiful vintage road frame that's been converted to a fixed gear by some college kid. Especially when you know damn well it's not a cheap conversion and they could have easily spent less money on a bike that does the exact same thing. I have yet to figure out the reason behind converting really nice vintage road frames to fixed gear bikes. Especially when they're more impressive with all their gears.

I agree with Shai.

Honestly, it's pretty sad to see a beautiful vintage road frame that's been converted to a fixed gear by some college kid. Especially when you know damn well it's not a cheap conversion and they could have easily spent less money on a bike that does the exact same thing. I have yet to figure out the reason behind converting really nice vintage road frames to fixed gear bikes. Especially when they're more impressive with all their gears.

"Shit bro, check out this sweet ass bike I found in my dad's basement!"

"Yeah man, Beyon-chee? Sounds awesome."

"We should totally convert this."

I didn't spend more than $300 on my first road bike either. I'm glad I used that old bike for cruising around town and building some bike handling skills. Its still my bike of choice for locking up on the street. My Trek I use now feels light as a feather compared to my old bike and it has way too much sentimental value to ever risk getting it stolen (a gift from a former love).

My friends from out of town got me into riding bikes. It was their transportation method of choice and I had to immediately catch on to join them at the bars. Its kind of nice to see people in Los Angeles catching onto riding. Its a combination of the transplants/out-of-towners who brought their bikes with them, and young kids just following another fashion trend.

I loved going to cyclo-cross races in the Winter and crits in the Spring. Its been a breath of fresh air to learn about interests outside of art and graffiti.