bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Rubbish... where are you practicing your CX stuff?

All I know about is Leif Erickson and firelane 5, which I'm already bored with. I need a place to practice dismounts/mounts at speed. Preferably a place that is not surrounded by condos... which is what I've been doing. And when I crash hard, it's a little embarrassing.

Definitely doing those clinics that Tonkin puts together.

Went to Laurelhurst Park and got two fun little courses set up: one longer loop for speed work, and one small figure-8 to do the fundamentals over and over. Got in some stair run ups, gravel, descents followed by barrriers to jump over, u-turns immediately following re-mounts... all that good stuff.

We used these for barriers:

7166-9_w.jpg

which ended up working pretty well. My friend just had them lying around in his garage.

I guess the real de facto cross practice course is at Tabor though. I know the Gentle Lovers run some laps on a circuit they have mapped out there... I'm gonna see about getting my friend from GL's to show me just exactly what. Either way I'll be heading there soon to practice cross skills.

I also hear Pier Park is a good stuff. Haven't been there. My plan is to pretty much stick with the park laps and maybe some SS MTB, and in a few weeks get some uphill intervals at Saltzman or Leif.

i had recently bought some vertical wall hooks to get a coupla my bikes off the ground at the apt. last night im chillin and hear a pretty big crash in the other room. my cats are known to knock bikes over so i go rushing in ready to give em hell and see that my paramount has just done a nose dive after the anchors failed in one of the hooks. definitely gonna need a rear der adjust and maybe a fork true. great way to end an evening.

I haven't had the internet in a minute because I moved. I got to take apart my bike and re-paint it since I got another week till I'm supposed to be able to ride it. I'll post pictures when it's all said and done. Anyone know how long I should let this clear coat sit for before I put it back together?

Can anyone recommend a decent trainer? It doesn't have to be top of the line. I don't race and my bike is pretty old (carbon fiber Trek from the 90s). It just sucks on days like this (where they are wildfires everywhere) I can't do any outdoor activity. I hate skipping too much time between rides or workouts.

Some images I thought were kinda cool from the Rocky Mountain bike show...

rmbs_generic_600.jpg

Apparently this is a budget-minded custom bike... for the budget-minded.

rmbs_black_sheep_snow_full_view_600.jpg

I don't really know why but I dig these big fat tire bikes lately. And I love that this has a front rack.

rmbs_moots_snow_full_view_600.jpg

Yeah, I would own one of these if money wasn't a big deal.

rmbs_victoria_green_full_view_600.jpg

Dig the retro feel to this one.

Looking at that Moots bike more closely... is it just my eyes or does the front wheel have a cassette on it? Can the wheels switch for different gearing options?

i see that. thats interesting....

im assuming it would need a custom fork.

and the rims are uggggglllllyyyy.

and i wouldnt be caught dead riding any of those bikes other then the last one, they just look ugly to me... i like straight lines, thin wheels and minimalistic components on my mtb's

So I'm probably going to end up using a powertap starting next month. There's a problem though... the wheel/hub will be a road wheel/hub and the bike I use in the winter is set up for disc brakes. So I'm trying to figure out a way to add a V-Brake to my winter bike and came across this...

bsdn-v-plate.jpg

Has anyone used one of these things before and could I use it for the purpose I need it for? I would also have to drill a hole in the cross beam between the seat stays... which is kinda freakin' me out.

Or is there another idea out there that I'm not thinking of? Beside buying another bike...

The frame is aluminum. And I can't afford to have someone braze on bosses. It's cheaper to use the plate. I'm still keeping the front brake set up with a disc because I'll need the stopping power of a disc brake. You're absolutely right... disc over V-brake is a no brainer. I just need to hook up an option to run a non-disc brake wheel on the back, and this is the only thing I could find online that seemed to be worthy.

why do you need that option?

and explain to me how that plate works.

does it hoseclamp onto the triangle?

Because I will be buying a powertap hub to use for training purposes. The hub I'm getting is set up like any other road hub. The bike I use for wet winter training days, of which there are many where I live, has disc brakes... which means the hub on the wheel I use for that bike has mounts for a disc. So if I put the powertap wheel on the winter bike I can record data but I only have a front brake. So I'm trying to figure out a way to add a rear V-brake or canteliver brake.

Yes, the hole at the top of the plate is where you screw the plate onto the cross bar of the two rear triangles... like a normal brake. The two slots on either side is where you would hose clamp the plate to the traingle.