bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Firstly, turn off where? There's anything from a two foot deep irigation ditch, a cliffside, or a cliff wall where you asking me to just "step off." All the turnoffs for cars are gravel, taking one of those would leave you with a man walking on the road at 2 miles per hour instead of a man on a bike, and there's no width difference between a bike and a man...

So lets leave the bike out of the equasion for a second and consider just the pileup behind the van which feels nervous about the road it's driving on; On Skyline or Redwood, when there's a car unfamiliar to the terrain (which includes cyclists), what do you expect them to do?

Edit: the brakes on the Trek 1000 can't hang. I wonder if the pads could be the problem, or if the entire brake kit's a piece and I should replace the whole thing.

well you dont really need to turn off. it isnt that the car isnt familiar with the road its that you never really know what bicyclists are going to do when you're in a car and hitting a bicyclist isnt something anyone is fond of, im sure. if you just stop and pull off to one side of the road for a second it would be more comfortable for the driver because the driver doesnt have someone tilting back and forth. im just saying, if you see people having trouble passing you you should be a decent person and step off to the side for a second so they can feel comfortable. im hoping what im saying is making sense. because i do understand your point of view, i just dont entirely agree with it.

Boxcars, you're not crazy, just ignorant!

In the history of everything ever, the smaller vehicle or vessle has the right of way. This assumes that the person operating the larger vehicle has some ability and a pair strapped on.

The contract of everything ever continues, pointing out that... no matter how 'not fond' you are of running into cyclists. It is infinitely less fun for a cyclist to hit you (from the cyclists standpoint).

So, now we know who has the right of way, and we assume overtaking is a normal operation and everyone is trying not to run into each other.

It's worked since the beginning of time and I continue to see it function smoothly everyday... HOWEVER, WHENEVER the process gets fucked up (in my case) it is ALWAYS the auto driver's error.

In fact, I've said it before but Ill say it again... OK, FINE! FUCKING PASS ME! I don't want you behind me acting like a dick and stacking traffic against me. If you go by at 1000mph then at least you will be past me and on your fucking way. Just GO! Bitch.

when it comes to mountain roads, especially during the day you never really know when a car is going to come around that next turn and fuck you up. i personally just go, but im just arguing for the people that arent comfortable with that. i dont really understand why the cyclist has the right of way. its "share the road" not "let cyclists do what they want" i mean, by not passing you the person is showing that he cares about your well-being as well as his own. well, maybe not all the time. but i know when i drive passed a cyclist when a turn is coming or on one of the really winding road i fear more for dudes life than my car because if there's an accident i doubt the cyclist will be able to get out of the way.

acouple times i've actually just driven behind a cyclist because i cant believe how fucking fast the person is going up hill.

and im sorry if the above paragraph isnt connected properly and doesnt flow right or whatever, im doing some other shit at the same time as responding in this thread.

If you're on a bike in the road then technically, by law, you can have the whole lane. It's only by courtesy that the majority of cyclists stay to the right. As for going upwards on a bike on some country road and having cars lined up behind you... whoop-dee-do. I'll agree and say the cyclists should be to the right of the lane, even when riding up a hill. However... stopping isn't in the cards. If you've ever ridden up hill on a bike, especially a decent length / gradient of a hill then you know that stopping is counter productive. It's like asking the motorist to throw it into reverse as they're driving uphill. Cyclists have as much right to be in the lane as cars do (at least where I live) so it makes sense for everyone to ride / drive with some sense. I know everyone I ride with stays to the right unless we're rolling along on fairly flat terrain they we ride two abreast but still stay to the right. And I'd say 99% of motorists are cool about waiting thirty seconds. It's that one asshole who thinks it's funny to fuck around and use his car as a means to harm someone. Around here... with just about every cyclists carrying a cell phone now... that shit is stupid. The cops out here don't play when idiots like that are on the road. Unless the cyclists were riding the yellow line, the cops will write you up a real nice ticket worth hundreds of dollars. Because when you think about it, who wins if a cyclist and motorist collide? No one. So why bother?

Drive like you got some sense and stay of the god damn phone!!!!!!! I fucking hate cell phones!!!!!!!

Fine. Next time I'm riding I'll just pull to the side and let all the cars go by, but because I can't pull off any more than I am when I'm just riding on the side, that is, without deliberately slashing my tires on a sharp rock. I'll just trackstand, giving the car the exact same ammount of clearance they had before I even stopped. Problem solved, for half a mile until we encroach upon TWO cyclists. What will the van do?

Cyclists are a permanent part of driving any backroad in the East Bay. You mind as well be pissed off at a mountain the road wraps around instead of going straight through.

Edit: Hey Jokes, how much of your day is spent riding compared to painting?

im so fucking tired right now and ive kind of lost any motivation to continue this conversation, but my whole point has involved courtesy since the beginning.

just courtesy. and im not even saying that it is you people personally. from what i can tell the people that have responded are level headed people, im not attacking any of you.

its kinda like going 60 in the fast lane. even though the law says its perfectly alright to go 60 in any lane on the freeway, its still a complete assholish thing to do.

im going to go to bed, nice talking to you all, if there isnt 10000 responses to me tomorrow i'll answer.. but if there's just too many people responding i'm just going to let it go.

Edit: Hey Jokes, how much of your day is spent riding compared to painting?

Well... I don't really paint anymore. Mean to say, I've all but "retired" from the sport of Writing. I still work on canvas stuff but we all know that isn't writing. I ride about ten to twelve hours a week right now. Come spring that will go up to fifteen hours or more a week. I work on canvas stuff maybe three hours a month. Pretty sad.

only sad if it's not what you want to be doing with your time.

i just rode in the rain to work and it sucked.

almost got hit by someone on a celly the other day

and i did get sorta hit by a car last week.

nice fat tire rub on my shoe but luckily that was about it

i'm hoping that fulfilled my accident quota for the next ten years.

On the subject of the law stating that the bike can technically have the whole lane and the car people not wanting to share it...

It's a strange dynamic. If you think about it this country has been so all about the car and driver for so long. It's bred into people. The physical landscape of the country has been changed umpteen times, peoples lives uprooted, cities re-mapped just to put more roads for easier access and better driving. Every batch of new cars that has come out since the inception of cars has always boasted new features for the driver. Better, smoother, easier, faster.

Now, take the current up swing in bicycle usage. It's like taking a step backward to alot of people. They have been rasied to think their car is all important. They paid how ever many thousands of dollars for it, gas costs however much, and don't forget that most people view their cars as some sort of freedom device. Of course they are going to have issue with sharing the road with what is in their opinion some stupid, slow piece of metal. "Get a fucking car hippie!"

I AM NOT DEFENDING THIS SITUATION. I just think that its interesting to note the dynamic between autos and the people who drive them who obviously fell that any inconvenience to the speed at which they drive is unforgivable, and the bicyclist who uses a cheaper, more fuel efficient, less environmental harming, pro physical fitness device to get from point a to b. now these are all generalizations, but I can feel that tension when I ride and come into car/bike situations, and I bet others can too.

I wish there was a way to slow the whole fucking world down for a while.

i share the road at all times, but i also ride "aggressively" --between cars, through 4 ways etc... i've only had a couple close calls because of that.

i have probably 2 close calls a week because cars do not pay attention. i'm courteous--when on moutain roads i do "ride the white" if not the 8 inches of shoulder. i think a big part of the problem is the ability of American drivers--and a lack of understanding of they're car. i grew up driving trucks and tractors, riding 4 wheelers and mowers, etc... i can pretty much drive a car for 30 minutes and have a solid understanding of where each of the 4 corners are and how to put those corners exactly where i want them--i've done tons of offroading where i must put my vehicle literally through a space 3 inches wider than the machine. thats an advantage i would have as a driver--most drivers lack that ability. look at most parking jobs, how many people do you know have lost their mirrors in their own garage, etc etc... i don't like being on the road with those people, they don't know that they've got 2 feet on their left before they're even on the yellow, but are only 4 inches from me...

pedestrians and cyclists deserve the right of way and the right to ride pretty much where we'd like to. courteously. but most people cannot accept that.

This 9.5 outta 10 girl came into the store I work and I'm pissed at myself for not thinking of some way to keep her staying longer. Crystal blue eyes under sexy booksmart glasses. Fuck, man. The power play would've been to take my fifteen minute break right then and there but that might've been too strong.

That's not a bicycle story but it's far better than the above mentioned.

That's a rare thing, but she wasn't one of em. A girl doesn't make eyecontact with you for ten straight seconds and not be curious. She was just shopping with her two friends, and by the looks of them at least I know she has a sense of humor. I just wish I worked at a boutique, not some superstore with big brother over my shoulder. She'll be back tho. I know these things.

Anyway, where's the velospace flicks??? And why can't i find a cinelli dealer in the bay?

Racing_zoom_07.jpg

I got a 1990 cannondale recently that i love but dont know anything about the technical aspect of road bikes. Ima post a pic of it when the sun comes up, i just wanted to know whats a good site or something to look through to get me in a little bit more educated on this ? i ride and i ride but there are times when i have no idea whats goin on with my shit... I also need to do a lil bit of touching up and need to replace some specs on it... help an ignant mofocka out.. ?