bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

glucosamine chonodroitin complex

i get mine at costco. good shit

so, the thing w/ not wanting a bike from a mass manufacturer comes down to this for me. id rather have a bike that is not pumped out by a robot by the thousands in china. fuck that. i want soul in my bike and that comes from italy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

MSM is as good as if not better then Glocousamine. Yes, your pain will return when you stop taking it. No, this doesn't mean the problem is "masked". MSM, much like vitamin C, is deficient in the world's diet for some reason that it's not naturally found in plants as it once was I guess. Well one of the things you notice when you take MSM is no more muscle cramps, no joint pains, no aches in general. Your body uses it to convert it into glocousamine and other things.

I can't care less about make when it comes to frames. It's mostly all columbus or reynolds tubing, and saying you don't want it made in China because that's where everything's made is demeaning to the workers already on the butt end of free trade (not really, but Americans seem to think so). If the welds are quality, how can anyone justify a bike made in america has more soul than one made elsewhere?

/\/\cosigned.

a bike company might have a great history, but a bike frame has "soul" for what you put into it. i've had bikes i hated, because i ate shit or flatted too many times on them. and i've had bikes that put me in the hospital that i loved. yeah...

sooo. signing bonus bike thoughts: i'm going to get a SS mountain bike (and also finish building the one i've been projecting for the year). Gary Fisher Rig or complete custom build of the KONA A frame (soft tail SS, 26") is where i'm at.

You can buy soul from just about any builder who does so by hand. I will go to the grave defending Vanilla frames as some of the most beautiful handbuilt frames Ive ever seen. Not made in Italy.

i whole heartedly agree, i was just being poignent (sp?)....

ps:

after months of on again off again riding i went and got refitted to my bike and bought a new stem, saddle, and had everything adjusted just right for my injury riddled back and chubby belly. shit is awesome. everyone should get a proper professional fit done. absolutely worht the money for the experience and knowledge in the process.

anyone have any suggestions for a place i can get a female road frame to modify to a fixed gear?

aside from ebay

More and more companies are coming out with wome's specific geometry frames and I think it's about freakin' time. I'm sure you've done a Google search to see what you can come up with but I would also suggest talking with someone who does handbuilt frames. I think you'll find that once costs are done and over with... you're pretty much coming out the same. And the feeling you'll have riding a handbuilt frame to your specific needs and body geometrics compared to a facory frame is going to be unmatchable, if that's even a word.

I'm not sure where you currently reside but I can guarentee you can find at least one custom frame builder in your area... though I bet you can find more.

I've noticed a lot more women out racing in my area and a good handful of them are riding custom fitted frames. From Serotta & Seven to small time guys as well. From what I understand the comfort level is superior, for women, in regards to custom over factory built.

I have no idea what your budget is though!!

ANT makes some interesting custom bikes...

As for bike fitting... just about any decent shop is going to do fittings. Even a semi-decent shop will have a "fit-kit" which will handle all the basics and is way better than judging just stand over height. If you're looking for something more aggressive and more detailed then there's the Wobblenaught fitting and you can find a LBS that does it by going to their website. I've had it done before and it's pretty intensive. Laser measuring and cleat positioning and everything is taken into consideration from seat height to for and aft, handlebar width, stem length and height... everything. It's good but they tend to go with a more aggressive racing position.

There's snobbery in everything folks.

Yeah, I liked that band before they got all famous. Their demo was and still is the best.

Yeah, the new Mustangs are nice but nothing will ever beat the classic styling of the original.

Yeah, I was wearing skinny jeans back in the 80's before they were mainstream.

Yeah, Mac's are just plain better computers.

Smart makes a good point though about Giant. They do indeed make a lot of the frames for other well known companies around the world. However... I think the snobbery from certain riders pertains to vintage styling/ hard to find bikes rather than new. It seems like the ones whom I notice emitting the most snobbery are the ones riding the bikes you've never heard of or have only seen online or in books. Seems like the most of the cycling/ courier community is just stoked to see more folks on bikes.

That's my view on it anyway. I have no shame in wanting a Bianchi Pista Concept from 2003. They're black and sexy and just look damn good. Set up with the right components is a dream I've been riding for about two years now. I've gotten close twice and been denied both times. Damn ebay...

you should find the dude that stole mine 03 pista concept. i bet he would sell it to you dirty cheap. hopefully you fit a 57cm.

the newer celest color schemed versions pop up on ebay pretty often, but they dont look nearly as cool as the older color setup.

Tis the season for ebay frame shopping. Im not completly sold on buying a new Mark V for $250 so I started looking on ebay and fuck... there's some really fucking awesome frames going for pocket change. I need a goddamn city beater since I don't need to beat down any more bike jackers, but fuck each of these frames are going for under $400.

dc72_1.JPG

4603_1_b.JPG

4580_1.JPG

155e_1.JPG

68bb_1.JPG

This one really caught my eye.

6906_1.JPG

So do I build a fixie that I need and kinda want, or do I buy and build a roadbike that I HELLOF want, and if you picked B, would you buy a 2006 yellow/orange Trek 1000 for $400? I'll throw in the keo sprints for $50.

I am looking at buy a new fixed gear. possibly a old raleigh 10 speed and converting it, how much do you think it reaonably cost for a daily commuter?

P.S. Any tips on riding single speed? fixed or freewheel?

I ride a Raleigh fixed gear, lady I bought it from built it up with that frame. It's a solid bike and I haven't had to put any money into it that was out of necessity (repairs, broken parts), paid 250 for it. I donno if that helps you or not... but word of the wise, either the bottom bracket is a bit low for how the frame geometry is, or the crank arms are a bit long, because pedal strike is definitely a threat on really sharp turns (so I've modified the way I approach / execute turns).

Fixed gear is more enjoyable then freewheel single speed in my opinion. To be honest I don't really like single speed freewheels, I'd rather have it be a have-everything-on-it road bike or a stripped-to-the-essentials fixed gear. The nice thing about fixed gears over road bikes is the momentum your pedals generate makes getting up hills a little easier versus just freewheel singlespeed too, but then again on a single speed going down hills is easier (unless you run a fixie with a pretty high gear ratio).

Get whatever parts you want. I know I'm about to drop a third my bike cost on some Ti eggbeaters. Black and gold son. Black and gold. Where's those damn gold nitto bullhorns? haha.

It seems everyone on a fixed gear has their seat jacked up as high as the post will go. Is that the look? Do people buy track frames smaller than road bike frames on purpose?

I'm pretty sure the trend is to buy smaller and hike up the seat and run a 120 stem or longer. This is what I've seen with guys who are riding for the trend and not for the aesthetic. Aesthetic guys are riding bikes that fit like they should. Smaller bikes, even with the seats & bars in the right position is going to be hard on the back and neck after a while. You'd have to be young to get away with that for any length of time.

Hah. I'm overlooking a few things about fixed gear build I should probably ask you folks about as well.

Cranks and cogs, it seems something around 46/16 would be a regular ratio. Anyone ever used bmx parts? With the crank, is it better to have a single solid piece, or bolt on chainrings?

I must be fucking crazy to some of you to care this much about the looks of my bike. But cheggit.

050824-cinelli.jpg

High seat post, low spine breaking bullhorns... sweet as hell.