bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

On a scale from 1 to 10?... I'm going to go with 10. Rear derailers are pretty difficult unless you know how to fine tune them. It would cost you very minimal cash at your LBS to have a mechanic do it for you.

Second option... go to your local library and rent a book about bicycle maintenance and give it a shot on your own. If you can get it half way and then take it to your LBS to fine tune you stand the chance to save even more cash.

So, last night I'm out for a ride to the store... get almost there and the front tire fails... so I just kept riding, dropped the seat and hung off the back for the last 1/4 mile or so..

Got to the store, bought a new tube and a bunch of other stuff and then went to a gas station and fixed the tire, which was a supreme pain in the ass because I didn't have a spoon so I had to use my pen knife... took like 10 minutes.

So, I bought a quart to get change for the compressor and then a small bonus, as I only put in a quarter and the air pump started... So, things were looking up!

So, beers gone, brand new headphones hooked up, roll out! Down the hill, maybe a 1/4 mile and FULLY ran over a nail and popped the back tire about 250yards from where the last one gave out... so, I walked to the next gas station and couldn't get any change because they were closed... I had also bought these self adhesive patches, never tried them so I was ready too but, this place wanted 75cents for air and I had a quarter... so I walked another 2 miles to the next gas station but that was closed too, I knew it would be... it's only about 2 miles from my house so I just kept walking...

Also last night I bought some rubber cement so today I patched 7 tubes, I think there's one more left... I hope I don't need them at all but, stock runs deep at this point.

Fucking fates.

San Rensho was such a weirdo, too bad most of his designs were weird for no good reason or super uncomfortable looking. very pretty though, ive seen a couple up close that were really nicely detailed, things like scalloped chainstay bridges and shit you always sort of forget about and cut out bottom brackets and stuff.

Here's two questions:

I've noticed that a lot if not all of the track bikes I've seen have a small portion of tape wrapped arount the crossbar, about a third of the way back towards the seat from the handlebars. At first I thought it was just for steez, but upon seeing it so many times, I've came to the conclusion it must have some function. Which is......what?

And another: I've seen a ton of fixies on the street running those Deep V wheels that come in all sorts of rad colors. Are they meant for track specifically? Do they offer some huge benefit, or do all the bike hipsters rock them just coz they look cool (which they do)? Is it not smart to run one of those wheels in the front if you have an emergency brake?

Fixed gears and track bikes are so ubiquitous in my city I cant help but be curious about some of this stuff. Plus my bike got licked, so I've been spending way too much time at work looking at flics of bikes online--plotting the construction of my new whip.

As far as wrapping your tube in that spot, thats the place where the handle bars, if turned as far as they can go in either direction, will hit the top tube. Wrapping it with some tire tube rubber, and or enough elecrtical tape can prevent dents ins the top tube. Whan you lock your bike up, sometimes it gets bumped or slides and then the handlebars whip around and fuck your tubes up. Also if you have a crash or something.

The deep v rims are nice, with some high felange hubs they can give you a real stiff wheel, they are pretty damn strong, and sure, they look great. Its not a must, you can find plaenty of decent wheels that dont have the deep v-ness to them, but theres no issue with the brakes. They would grab the wheel in the same place that they do on anyother wheel.