The Babble

Al Green

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not really a car guy, but I like looking at cars... if that makes sense. Like, if you were to ask what is my dream car if money were no object I'd still probably choose a mid-size coupe that gets good gas mileage. Even if money were no object I still couldn't bring myself to spend over $75k on a car. 

That said, I freakin' love looking at concept cars. From design drawings and sketches to models to full-size cars... love 'em. It's mostly the details in the design that grab my attention.

67ab252cf2763230ea029ebb3e6d4100.jpg

505827433070b6721197e6af0eb5e408.jpg

cad744c3d00fd22251d0f7c3b20fe549.jpg

06eb2a298b91f4f75b07af1f584c8380.jpg

499402ed39fb96f917e8c0c96f2569e3.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

@Joker- why don't you consider doing design work for a car manufacturer?  I don't know how you could get your foot in the door at doing that but you definitely have the skill necessary to do that kind of work, no questions asked.

Whoa... thank you for saying that. I've definitely thought about it when I was younger but I never did more than think about it. After high school I went to school to learn Graphic Design (in 1988) but eventually dropped out due to lack of funds for supplies. For a hot minute I tried my hand at Industrial Design, which I quickly realized I just loved the process, not so much the design. And I think that's where I lie with concept car design. I absolutely love the process, the sketches, the clay models, the problem solving, but I think to be really good at it you have to have a passion for the cars that aren't concepts. I like cars, but not like someone who has spent their whole life knowing everything there is to know about certain cars, with posters on their walls, car magazines, etc. Like, when I last bought a car my friends who are really into cars were asking me all kinds of questions about the model of car I bought, and all I could answer was "I don't know... I bought the black one". So while I love concept cars, I don't think I would have the same passion to design them as someone who lives and breathes car design. 

That said, if I did design a car, it would probably end up looking something like...

RemDKoolhaas-UnitedNude-7.jpg

kwlg147epg041.jpg

• Like 2

@JokerEven more reason you'd be good at this IMO, not a lot of lasting value in slightly updating a current/familiar design. My own personal shift from disgust, into reluctant admiration a few days later with the Tesla truck was pretty eye opening. I think sometimes you need to take that risk, and work completely outside of the box. It's like working with no safety net, completely discarding the comfort of familiarity. Honestly, that has to be the most difficult, and probably most important objective to pull off in any genre. Out of curiosity how'd you feel about that Truck design?

• Props 1

@Mercer- for sure. There's plenty of evidence out there to suggest that knowing nothing about the subject can be a great disrupter, Elon Musk for example, but I still don't think my heart would be in it. 

I was super impressed with the Cybertruck. I appreciated the straight lines and continuous angles, but overall I was underwhelmed. Personally, I think some of the Cybertruck mods that have been making the rounds look and feel more impressive to me in overall design. Not sure if it's because it feels/looks more truck-like but I definitely like the kitted-out versions more than the production model. 

654047.jpg

tesla-cybertruck-mods.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 3:25 PM, poes said:

https://www.patrickethen.com/

https://www.instagram.com/patrickethen/

I've been a fan of this guys installations for a while. I'm half-inspired to create one myself but don't know where to start.

Check out his instagram...

Check out hackaday.com.  You should be able to easily find and learn everything you need to know to create one of these there.  You're going to have to learn how to do some software programming if you want to do anything animated/color fading/blinking with the LEDs..... but it's not too difficult in comparison to actually being a full time software developer.  Feel free to DM me if you have any questions and I can probably help you directly with what you're stuck on.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...