12ozProphet Forum App - Beta Program, feedback etc.

misteraven

Okay, I received a lot of interest in people wanting to jump into our unofficial beta of the 12ozProphet Forum App for iOS.

Just a little heads up / explanation... I call this a sort of pseudo beta app. Reason is it's essentially, but not quite a Progressive Web App (PWA). PWA's are essentially highly optimized web applications that are just packaged into a JavaScript container.  What I did here was the same, except for now it's the actual forum being loaded, which is optimized for mobile, but not highly optimized to really be a PWA. As I stated in the 12oz Rebirth thread, there is a major forum upgrade expected March 2024 and that version will be pretty heavily optimized for mobile, as well as having a million UI improvements and a bunch of extra features. So in the meantime, you guys that want to get down have an opportunity to jump in extra early. So far, it seems to be completely functional and smooth. Essentially the same experience as navigating the forum on mobile in your browser, except its PWA that lives in your iPhone's Home Screen. Makes it way easier, in my opinion, and really cool to see the 12oz logo on a phone next to all the other apps. Again, this is super early and though I'd love feedback, since there's already a complete overhaul planned for next month, there's probably no reason to spend time fixing the current version. By the way, though PWA's seem like a bit of a cheat as opposed to fully programming a native app in something like Apple Swift, major companies like Twitter (X) and Uber apps are actually PWA's. The only cheat really is that instead of going through the steps to release as a developer, I'm giving you guys access via Apple Shortcuts, which in essence is a collection of snippets and PWA's that bypass all the rules and scrutiny required to be on the Apple App Store. This is why you need to install a self signed certificate that is not approved by Apple.

Once I get a bit further, it is my intention to submit to the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

So for now, here's how to install the (un)Official 12ozProphet Forum App for iOS...

TLDR: Hit the link > hit the button to download > open it up in Apple Shortcuts > Follow all the prompts.

-------------------

1. Hit the link to app to get started: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/db946114d16e4014b41ee764e902fdd2

2. You'll see the following... Hit the button to + Add Shortcut

IMG_3147.jpeg

3. The above should download and launch your Shortcuts App. The "Install 12ozProphet" shortcut should be at the top of the Shortcuts App Home Screen.

IMG_3148.jpeg

4. When you launch the "Install 12ozProphet" Shortcut, you'll be presented with the prompt below. Tap "Allow" at the top of the screen and then "Allow" again on the second prompt.

IMG_3149.jpeg

5. Tap "Allow" on the prompt below.

IMG_3150.jpeg

6. Tap "Close" on the prompt below.

IMG_3151.jpeg

5. Tap "OK" on the prompt below.

IMG_3152.jpeg

6. This is where you have to pay attention. It seems sketchy, but basically the sis the step to work around the fact that this isn't an App vetted by Apple and available on their App Store. In that case, they review everything and sign off, meaning it's got a security certificate that has been signed by Apple. In our case, we're sort of skipping the Apple Store so the app is being self signed. So at this point of the install, it drops you in the Settings > General > VPN & Device Management section and tap "12ozProphet".

IMG_3153.jpeg

7. You'll be asked to install the self signed certificate (Profile), which you do by tapping "Install" in the top, right.

IMG_3154.jpeg

8. Enter your iPhone's passcode to approve.

IMG_3155.jpeg

9. At this prompt, tap "Next" to continue.

IMG_3156.jpeg

10. At this prompt, tap "Install" to continue.

IMG_3158.jpeg

10. Finally, at this prompt, tap "Done" to finish.

IMG_3159.jpeg

SUCCESS! You should now see the 12ozProphet Forum App icon on your phone's Home Screen.

IMG_3160.jpeg

IMG_3157.jpeg

• Props 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

How to setup "Push" Notifications on the (un)Official 12ozProrphet Forum App:

So once you've followed the steps above to get the app installed, I highly recommend you setup push notifications. This is so you can have events on the forum push to your phone outside of the app itself.

This is how its done...

1. You need to login to your forum account.

IMG_3161.jpeg

2. Tap the icon for the menu in the top, right and click "Account".

IMG_3162.jpeg

2. From there, click on "Account Settings".

IMG_3163.jpeg

3. Scroll down to "Notification Settings".

IMG_3164.jpeg

3. Click on "Notification Settings".

IMG_3165.jpeg

4. Here's all the options for notifications on the forum. You can disable them and for most, select between Push, Email, Notification List or a combination of those options.

The main two that I suggest changing to "Push" Notification is "Mentions & My Content" and "Messenger". But there's a bunch others so setup it how its best for you.

Enjoy!

IMG_3166.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

The tiktok embedded are not playing for me - but the youtube embedded are playing fine.

Anyone else using the beta with same issue?

Check the 80s and 90s memories thread - a couple tiktok links posted in the last day but not working for me on beta. They run fine for me when I use Brave.

iOS 17.3.1 

IPhone 15 Pro

17 minutes ago, fat ralphy said:

The tiktok embedded are not playing for me - but the youtube embedded are playing fine.

Anyone else using the beta with same issue?

Check the 80s and 90s memories thread - a couple tiktok links posted in the last day but not working for me on beta. They run fine for me when I use Brave.

iOS 17.3.1 

IPhone 15 Pro

The JavaScript package this PWA is built off is rendering using WebKit, which is the rendering engine for Safari as well. I believe Brave uses Blink like all the Chromium browsers out there. Assume that's what's affecting this maybe?

Dope. The web page just auto suggested for me to dl the 12oz app. I did so and am automatically logged in. 

That's dope because I probably don't remember my password. I'll get it on the 5th or 6th try, but who wants to fuck with all that. 

Bet.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

9 minutes ago, mr.yuck said:

Dope. The web page just auto suggested for me to dl the 12oz app. I did so and am automatically logged in. 

That's dope because I probably don't remember my password. I'll get it on the 5th or 6th try, but who wants to fuck with all that. 

Bet.

Just had the same thing happen to me. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm working on this stuff so you might see new things pop up. Trying to create an intro animation for when you launch the app.

Also, there's now a solution for Android. For now it's a web clip, but should work in a. similar way after the changes I just made.

Android Instructions:

1. Open Chrome.
  2. Navigate to the website or web page you want to pin to your home screen.
  3. Tap the menu icon (3 dots in upper right-hand corner) and tap Add to home screen.
  4. Choose a name for the website shortcut, then Chrome will add it to your home screen.

Or watch the video... (Again I'm not an Android user so support is currently limited).

Weird.  So, while using the app (S23 Ultra Andriod 6.0) overrides my built in home button.

I can't see it, only when I start to type something.  This is what it looks like with and with out typing.Screenshot_20240223_174106_Brave.thumb.jpg.77b0e95b697fc4622e35dd5de035f664.jpg

Screenshot_20240223_174203_Brave.jpg

16 minutes ago, misteraven said:

@ndvsorry, I don't understands your comment.

@misteraven

My bad, I wasn't sure if I was explaining it correctly as I really didn't know how to explain it. 

You see where I circled in 'blue' ?  The phones home button and other soft buttons do not appear.  It's as if the beta app has gone full screen mode and nothing happens when I tap the screen to draw up the home button bar.

Screenshot_20240223_180439.jpg

Edited by ndv

1 hour ago, misteraven said:

Actually @ndv delete it and redo. I made an adjustment. Hopefully the code isn’t cached. If not, should work now. If it is cached, I’ll need to sort out later how to purge cache in the sever. 

Looks like that took care of the problem.  I also just discovered if I slide my thumb up from the bottom of my phone screen, the soft buttons show up.  I guess it was always there, I just wasn't familiar with the feature.

• Like 1

If I install the beta I have two questions.

1. Will I regain the ability to upload things to the forum as My quota is maxxed at present.

2. Will My powerball ticket I bought for the $12M jackpot let Me win as the sole winner if I take the risk of installing a profile on My iPhone after the Apple security expert I spoke to about My Databases being augmented berated Me for installing an Olympus one to use My OMD EM1 camera in 2016-17 whilst he told Me to never do it again?

• LOL! 2

16 minutes ago, Mauler5150 said:

If I install the beta I have two questions.

1. Will I regain the ability to upload things to the forum as My quota is maxxed at present.

2. Will My powerball ticket I bought for the $12M jackpot let Me win as the sole winner if I take the risk of installing a profile on My iPhone after the Apple security expert I spoke to about My Databases being augmented berated Me for installing an Olympus one to use My OMD EM1 camera in 2016-17 whilst he told Me to never do it again?

I need to figure setting up additional tweaks including the rebuilding of VIP. Once I do that, I’ll hit you up so you have more storage space for uploads. Can’t really help much on the other question. 

• Like 2