12ozProphet Forum App - Beta Program, feedback etc.

misteraven

Have been getting this little message kicked to me on multiple threads when trying to like content. Generally it's only one react that backfires. The rest work fine. I can go back to the original react after cycling through different ones several times.

Oh shit. Like @fat ralphysaid, I'm also having trouble uploading this PNG screen shot.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I believe it’s actually latency issues but unsure. Could be a slow connection or server issues. Very likely also amplified by how true apps handle that as well as caching so that all remains smooth. 

Anyhow, looking like the big forum update is pushed to April so will be a little longer before I can get too much deeper into it. Hopefully it remains usable and fun in the meantime. 

• Like 1
  • Props 1

Tried out the beta, here's my initial feedback.

Platform: Android, Google Pixel, Firefox - All updated with the latest.

- FF install was smooth. open the UI menu, tap install, add to homescreen. Boing boing.

- I was already logged in through FF, that carries through. Boing.

- Opens full screen with phone UI buttons visible.

- I tried to write feedback here within the PWA but couldn't get the keyboard to stay active, it kept disappearing. Had to go back to browser tab version to do this.

- Surfing around has a 4-5 second delay from tap to execute when tapping links. All links, not just the odd one.

- Scrolling performance is pretty laggy. A little choppy, jumps around sometimes, and 50% of the time the initial swipe-to-scroll doesn't register, requiring multiple swipe attempts to continue down the screen. With longer photo threads it's pretty annoying.

Some JS performance benchmarking and testing is in order for sure, but probably not worth it with this version as the new one is launching soon?

Definitely need to keep on top of memory leaks, and some flame chart audits are good.

I have a love/hate relationship with offloading everything into the front end, and much prefer native server, and nowadays SSR. Overall baseline performance is just better with SSR and progressive enhancement.

I really like the caching opportunities and installation aspects of the PWA, but the caching can be a bit of a maintenance hair pulling lol.

Solid first beta, but for now will have to stick to the browser tab version as it's much more performant.

Boing Boing.

• Like 2
  • Props 2

48 minutes ago, bigpoppa.k said:

Tried out the beta, here's my initial feedback.

Platform: Android, Google Pixel, Firefox - All updated with the latest.

- FF install was smooth. open the UI menu, tap install, add to homescreen. Boing boing.

- I was already logged in through FF, that carries through. Boing.

- Opens full screen with phone UI buttons visible.

- I tried to write feedback here within the PWA but couldn't get the keyboard to stay active, it kept disappearing. Had to go back to browser tab version to do this.

- Surfing around has a 4-5 second delay from tap to execute when tapping links. All links, not just the odd one.

- Scrolling performance is pretty laggy. A little choppy, jumps around sometimes, and 50% of the time the initial swipe-to-scroll doesn't register, requiring multiple swipe attempts to continue down the screen. With longer photo threads it's pretty annoying.

Some JS performance benchmarking and testing is in order for sure, but probably not worth it with this version as the new one is launching soon?

Definitely need to keep on top of memory leaks, and some flame chart audits are good.

I have a love/hate relationship with offloading everything into the front end, and much prefer native server, and nowadays SSR. Overall baseline performance is just better with SSR and progressive enhancement.

I really like the caching opportunities and installation aspects of the PWA, but the caching can be a bit of a maintenance hair pulling lol.

Solid first beta, but for now will have to stick to the browser tab version as it's much more performant.

Boing Boing.

Thank you for the details feedback and again, great to see you on here - Welcome back!

Indeed, everything you mentioned makes sense and I've seen the same. As a PWA, the content being loaded isn't truly optimized to function this way. Needs more visual feedback and a lot more optimization. Sounds to me like you might be involved int his or something similar as a profession? Wondering what your experience is? Feel free to message me if you don't want to post on the board. Regardless, appreciate it and indeed, the next update will remedy a lot of this.

• Like 2

If you did it in swift IIRC it would just need to send out WebRPC or Ajax or whatever requests to the site to get a bunch of json formatted database info that you'd need to display in webkit containers to make the HTML in posts work right, I wouldn't even bother.  It's barely better on Android since the main language everyone uses is Java (fragmented into a bunch of stupid languages nobody has heard of that run on the Dalvik JVM like Groovy, Kotlin, etc) even though you can just write the whole program in C or C++ if you feel like it.  The only advantage android has for stuff like this are things like the F-Droid repositories that let you distribute your stuff without getting it signed. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tag1 2: Electric Boogaloo said:

If you did it in swift IIRC it would just need to send out WebRPC or Ajax or whatever requests to the site to get a bunch of json formatted database info that you'd need to display in webkit containers to make the HTML in posts work right, I wouldn't even bother.  It's barely better on Android since the main language everyone uses is Java (fragmented into a bunch of stupid languages nobody has heard of that run on the Dalvik JVM like Groovy, Kotlin, etc) even though you can just write the whole program in C or C++ if you feel like it.  The only advantage android has for stuff like this are things like the F-Droid repositories that let you distribute your stuff without getting it signed. 

Seems like you know a lot about this. Do you work on app development?

• Truth 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, fat ralphy said:

Got this earlier:

Now it seems like my ooontz is on steroids!!!

Did the overhaul update run? 

Super fast response between page loads etc

IMG_5603.png

I noticed an improvement on images loads from yesterday. I couldn’t get my bench page to load most of the times, images would be question marks and not load. You could click on them and the image would open, but it was really annoying and prevented me from posting when I wanted to. Seems to load fine now.

• Truth 1

I have been having top notch uploading speed and can literally close out of the Internet tab and make a phone call then reopen the tab on my phone and it's still uploading, soo far all my glitches have been worked out other then trying to watch video uploads from Androids on iPhones or iPhone vid uploads from Androids all being said great job keeping an awesome forum running very professionally @misteravenhats off to you OG

• Like 1
  • Truth 1