“A good manager is a bored manager” - what do you guys think of this?

KILZ FILLZ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Pretty much the only way a manager would survive in my industry is staying the fuck out of the way. Recruiters charge 15K now for NICET certified technicians, and the law grants us a monopoly in this trade. It's cheaper to get a new manager than it is to replace a technician or electrical engineer.

• Like 2

I see where you're coming from Kilz.  The way I think of a good manager knows how to allocate and manage their team very well, sees each individuals strengths and weaknesses.  So in my thought.  If you have a good team where each individual knows their strengths and weaknesses as well, and at that point knows what tasks to perform without being guided, then that's going to reflect the managers aptitude which should make the manager feel as their position is easy.  So with that being said due to desk work, and limited responsibilities pertaining to any responsibilities outside management.  Then I can see a good manager getting bored for multiple reason. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

I was a terrible manager.

I really tried to be good but it just didn't sit right with me.

but a lot of the time if my team didn't communicate I stupidly didn't ask.

and I wasn't good enough at delegating work.

Damn that's hella honest man. 

Being a young construction business owner, I've hired my share of guys that were 30 years my senior. My biggest problem with them was they would make moves to steer my work flow and protocols from the back seat because they "knew" better. Some times I would let them. I would eventually have to come in and correct the issue when productivity fell behind like we were still building in the 70s and every job site had a million mother fuckers on it to pull the slack. I don't really care for confrontation so inevitably I would come in to work, do a task by myself, knock it the fuck out and then start asking questions about why the same task was taking everyone else so long. It always came down to "Oh, that's the problem. You aren't doing it like I'm doing it. Start doing it like I do it." These old guys always found a reason to catch hurt feelings and pack their shit up and storm off. 

I have a problem managing a bunch of different personalities to make them work cohesively.

• Like 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1