Mexican Restaurant Poll

mr.yuck

The free chips and salsa Poll  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
10 hours ago, morton said:

How does miracle whip with milk and dried oregano sound tasty?

It is nasty, the true inspiration was gringo customers dipping chips in the nasty Sysco ranch dressing that was put out with their salad and tostitos, and then waiters just running with it.

Call it "tangy aioli" instead of miracle whip. I can see it working out; is it a new mother sauce or a new staple, nah, but on chips, I'm game. Yes homo or something. 

• LOL! 1

9 hours ago, morton said:

To add something that is actually tasty, Mexican and mayonnaise. 00052100371603_A1C1_master.png.f78d52ee3c85c61771533a314fd66583.png

9 hours ago, LUGR said:

^You might as well dip your chips right into that.

Any of you ever had Aguachile? I've only seen ONE place that had Mexican Mayo in each table and seen some people scoop out a spoon and use the salsa chips to eat it while given RED salsa.

Aguachile is basicly ceviche using shrimp and mayo slapped onto the tostada.

• Pause 1

3 hours ago, T4M* said:

Any of you ever had Aguachile? I've only seen ONE place that had Mexican Mayo in each table and seen some people scoop out a spoon and use the salsa chips to eat it while given RED salsa.

Naw, but I have had aguardiente and I make ceviche all the time. No mayo in that equation though.

I'm gonna call that foo collect. Make it cost him.

I read another article about this where homeboy was quoted saying if we show up to the Mexican joint and there's no white sauce, we turn around and leave. Lol. Fucking gross. My old lady loves this shit. That's good. More red salsa for me.

This thread has provided on every level. The last thing to do is to go make a video of me eating this crap for all of your enjoyment.

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

I'm gonna call that foo collect. Make it cost him.

I read another article about this where homeboy was quoted saying if we show up to the Mexican joint and there's no white sauce, we turn around and leave. Lol. Fucking gross. My old lady loves this shit. That's good. More red salsa for me.

This thread has provided on every level. The last thing to do is to go make a video of me eating this crap for all of your enjoyment.

You going to show back up in here pretending like you don’t get down on salsa de pinga once you saw the poll results.

Smooth move funny guy…

• Truth 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:49 AM, LUGR said:

Alright, so I decided to whip up a batch of salsa de pinga for breakfast this morning. Tastes alright fresh, now I will age the batch for two days as recommended by Mr. Korfhage.

8DCD0E6C-1ED6-4C54-9309-D30428193C67.jpeg
I think “hot plate amigo” will be the new name for my microwave.

Just did a 24 hour taste test and the dip is good. It’s is definitely not a Mexican food dip, just an all around dip. Versatile with crackers or tortilla chips.

• Props 1

On 10/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, T4M* said:

Traditional aguachile does not have mayo. It's basically fresh blue shrimp with lime juice, topped with slices of either jalapeño or serrano, and sometimes cucumber, radishes, avocado and cilantro.

PXL_20221002_020010959.thumb.jpg.5006d8bb7d50cc4ce3cac2e5bb58442f.jpg

Many Mexican restaurants that sell mariscos (seafood) do offer Mexican crema to accompany your meal, although it's mostly used on fried fish and shrimp in my experience.

Tostada's are optional.

Check out this article for a great read about aguachile:

https://www.eater.com/2019/3/13/18253272/aguachile-seafood-mexico-city-chef-luis-valle-don-vergas-los-mochis-sinaloa

As far as white sauce/salsa..... I've only ever encountered cilantro-lime salsa at Tex-Mex spots. There's a place here in Houston called Chuy's that offers Deluxe Tomatillo salsa that is pretty tasty 😋:

https://www.chuys.com/menu/saucetour

Edited by MarcoFromHouston
  • Like 3
  • Props 5

On 10/8/2022 at 6:42 PM, T4M* said:

Haven’t had with Mayo but believe it would be good

A66135C5-39F6-4A11-8A88-83EF1ECEFBCE.jpeg

619E7B50-4977-4A7C-AEA5-202DA0EE6F06.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr.yuck said:

Oh shit. We should have done some research. Seems like Matthew Korfhage doesnt write for the Virginia Backwater anymore. He's moved up to USA Todays Food and Culture writer.

I didn’t read the whole thing, but seems like an alright dude.

Would not surprise me if he was a member of this forum at some point.

https://www.wweek.com/culture/2017/04/18/i-tried-microdosing-with-four-different-psychedelic-drugs-heres-what-happened/

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, MarcoFromHouston said:

Traditional aguachile does not have mayo. It's basically fresh blue shrimp with lime juice, topped with slices of either jalapeño or serrano, and sometimes cucumber, radishes, avocado and cilantro.

PXL_20221002_020010959.thumb.jpg.5006d8bb7d50cc4ce3cac2e5bb58442f.jpg

Many Mexican restaurants that sell mariscos (seafood) do offer Mexican crema to accompany your meal, although it's mostly used on fried fish and shrimp in my experience.

Tostada's are optional.

Check out this article for a great read about aguachile:

https://www.eater.com/2019/3/13/18253272/aguachile-seafood-mexico-city-chef-luis-valle-don-vergas-los-mochis-sinaloa

As far as white sauce/salsa..... I've only ever encountered cilantro-lime salsa at Tex-Mex spots. There's a place here in Houston called Chuy's that offers Deluxe Tomatillo salsa that is pretty tasty 😋:

https://www.chuys.com/menu/saucetour

Not a big Chuys fan. Not sure why.  

Have you tried La Tapatia Mexican Cafe off Richmond, near montrose?  Pretty good spot. 

1 minute ago, ndv said:

Not a big Chuys fan. Not sure why.  

Have you tried La Tapatia Mexican Cafe off Richmond, near montrose?  Pretty good spot. 

I don't eat at Chuy's very often. Probably twice in the last 10 years. My brother-in-law and younger brother love that place.

Yeah man, La Tapatia is dope, although it used to be so much better before they changed their menu to a more be more Anglo friendly. I distinctly remember eating there once, asking for a menudo and they told me they no longer serve it. I went to University of Saint Thomas down the street and would eat there all the time! The $5 margaritas were awesome too! I might have been there late night once or twice in the last 5 years. Pretty good, maybe a bit above average, but definitely not amazing. Prices are pretty decent though. 

I recently began writing a taco column called Tacos y Más for Chron.com. Check it out here:

https://www.chron.com/author/marco-torres/

I also wrote a list of my favorite taco spots for Eater Houston earlier this year:

https://houston.eater.com/maps/houston-best-tacos-taquerias-essential

-MARCO FROM EL NORTHSIDE, HOUSTON TEXAS

• Like 2
  • Props 4

If I tried writing a taco blog in Asheville it would be this, and then never another entry.

"Godfuckingdamnit this town continues to be a let down. What the fuck. I see Hispanic people of all flavors on jobsites every day. Where are your family members that know how to actually cook? Seriously, this is offensive."

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • LOL! 3