Backpacking, Hiking, Camping, Hunting, Fishing, Off-Roading -•- all things nature lover thread

KILZ FILLZ

2 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

IMG_5070.jpeg

IMG_5071.jpeg

IMG_5072.jpeg

That’s a mess of fish. Recognize all the snappers. See a random triggerfish and I think some porgies. Not sure what some of those other outlier fish are? Some of them kind of look like blue runners? Do you know?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Nice dorado. Nice flicks too. Y’all say mahi mahi or dorado out there? @LUGRwhere my invite player ? I’ll sign out the keys to the 12oz private jet

I say all of the above including dolphin. It’s a mixed bag, but most people call them mahi.

I got the keys to the boat, come through. Just hope the weather stays calm for awhile.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beware the white fish...

"

The main issue with escolar is that it has a lot of oils within its flesh. Unfortunately we have been trained to believe that all fish oils are good for you, but not all fish oils are Omega-3 oils. Escolar is full of what is called wax-esters. These are a type of oil that are inedible and the human stomach will not absorb it, but instead attempt to flush the system. The result is the consumer of the fish may experience a mild to severe case of steatorrhea. 

In layman’s terms, you could have a very bad case of diarrhea. This onset could be so rapid that you could have symptoms within an hour of eating escolar fillet. The way the wax-esters get flushed through the body could result in anal leakage and accidental soiling of one self. The steatorrhea can last from 2-36 hours, depending on how much you ate and on each individual case. Most people will chock up a case of this to basic food poisoning, but if you have these symptoms every time you eat sushi, then you may know the answer to why it is happening to you."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fist 666 said:

Beware the white fish...

"

The main issue with escolar is that it has a lot of oils within its flesh. Unfortunately we have been trained to believe that all fish oils are good for you, but not all fish oils are Omega-3 oils. Escolar is full of what is called wax-esters. These are a type of oil that are inedible and the human stomach will not absorb it, but instead attempt to flush the system. The result is the consumer of the fish may experience a mild to severe case of steatorrhea. 

In layman’s terms, you could have a very bad case of diarrhea. This onset could be so rapid that you could have symptoms within an hour of eating escolar fillet. The way the wax-esters get flushed through the body could result in anal leakage and accidental soiling of one self. The steatorrhea can last from 2-36 hours, depending on how much you ate and on each individual case. Most people will chock up a case of this to basic food poisoning, but if you have these symptoms every time you eat sushi, then you may know the answer to why it is happening to you."

Escolar is so tasty though. I have read that article before and of course always joke about it. Usually get a few pieces when having sushi.

Some friends from work picked me up and took me for a lil hike/trail/walk the other day. 

I have been longing for some company and something else to look at besides these walls at home. Was a great lil venture 

IMG_3011.thumb.jpeg.ed590e70fe495329ee064ad36583af79.jpeg

IMG_3003.thumb.jpeg.42f64534be095dbd14802ac0e6fe32da.jpeg

IMG_3004.thumb.jpeg.2767eccbd398760994262d4219dc3e52.jpeg

just a lil bitty mushroom in the center 

IMG_3005.thumb.jpeg.8cbfdcdd11a8e31209f82e9143cb563f.jpeg

IMG_3008.thumb.jpeg.78fb5e84218b0044fce27ead591519f6.jpeg

IMG_3010.thumb.jpeg.280fcaf3c207d48e02ab6c4d85e0367a.jpeg

IMG_3013.thumb.jpeg.cafce3dd080caa1bef7a8393596a9b24.jpeg

IMG_3017.thumb.jpeg.4fc6fdd452578588eefe9a146426cbfc.jpeg

IMG_2999.thumb.jpeg.e10d4d0c30dfe4911a8f046ef6d067fa.jpeg

IMG_3001.thumb.jpeg.a3bfcf4153d0810443bd598377f230ba.jpeg

IMG_2991.thumb.jpeg.f49237d67dd0178589f98ff811bd0e43.jpeg

IMG_3018.thumb.jpeg.b2d8088dc571533eef2a1351bedb1ffa.jpeg

IMG_3019.thumb.jpeg.4b803252b0348d3bd9d098a1928408bf.jpeg

IMG_3020.thumb.jpeg.438d70c6cfe7391960c0140788947a9d.jpeg

IMG_3021.thumb.jpeg.6d9d52caa341e4cd008736fb6a029439.jpeg

IMG_3022.thumb.jpeg.9a07010c5b89952dd2e1d463fbae466c.jpeg

IMG_2993.thumb.jpeg.484416447776db0b72b4ecc4b7572e86.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 4

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Got ya, I bet that took to whole day real in.  I thought it was beached on its own. 

Not really. It’s pretty small and both the ones I caught swam straight to shore. They did a couple of decent runs.

I hooked into a massive one offshore a couple of months back that was really tough to get to the surface. Had it almost to the surface and then it went straight back down when it saw the boat. Almost had it back up when the line broke and I was definitely over it at that point. I never intentionally try to catch sharks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LUGR said:

Not really. It’s pretty small and both the ones I caught swam straight to shore. They did a couple of decent runs.

I hooked into a massive one offshore a couple of months back that was really tough to get to the surface. Had it almost to the surface and then it went straight back down when it saw the boat. Almost had it back up when the line broke and I was definitely over it at that point. I never intentionally try to catch sharks.

Sounds about right.  I have to agree nobody internally trys to catch sharks.   

Last time I was fishing, my buddy and I show to the dock and this guy yelling shark!  He was walking up and down the dock trying to reel this sharks in for about 30mins that was about the same size but a little smaller than yours.   He was hoping the line would just break because he was getting tiered. 

2 hours ago, ndv said:

Sounds about right.  I have to agree nobody internally trys to catch sharks.   

Last time I was fishing, my buddy and I show to the dock and this guy yelling shark!  He was walking up and down the dock trying to reel this sharks in for about 30mins that was about the same size but a little smaller than yours.   He was hoping the line would just break because he was getting tiered. 

Oh man, there are so many absolute shark catching fanatics around my way. Pretty common for them to reel in massive tigers, hammers and bulls. Definitely not my thing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@LUGR

I know you'll appreciate this.

just a part of the photo thread to come.

Cape Zanpa Okinawa Japan.

we were up the lighthouse and look down on the steep lava shoreline leading out to very deep water spot some guys fishing. pretty treacherous spot you would not want to fall in.

IMG_7173.thumb.jpg.fae95b827b2340fa1f9edc31fcea91e0.jpg

one guy starts casting like mad over a patch of water and you can sort of see why (big fish patrolling just below the surface.)

IMG_7172.thumb.jpg.b86159e0edb9eaa707b18f65818fb65d.jpg

hooks one and then they spend about 10 minutes trying to keep the line off the rough lava rocks and get the gaff hook down on the line to bring the fish up. (reckon those cliffs were probably 15ft off the water

but finally they pull it outIMG_7174.thumb.PNG.49629d1543658e1516d3f63a1a6ddf9d.PNG

saw the guy at the bottom

pretty nice catch off the shore.IMG_7175.thumb.jpg.e9c5582c6c19874307f18a7a91c77bce.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 3

2 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

@LUGR

I know you'll appreciate this.

just a part of the photo thread to come.

Cape Zanpa Okinawa Japan.

we were up the lighthouse and look down on the steep lava shoreline leading out to very deep water spot some guys fishing. pretty treacherous spot you would not want to fall in.

IMG_7173.thumb.jpg.fae95b827b2340fa1f9edc31fcea91e0.jpg

one guy starts casting like mad over a patch of water and you can sort of see why (big fish patrolling just below the surface.)

IMG_7172.thumb.jpg.b86159e0edb9eaa707b18f65818fb65d.jpg

hooks one and then they spend about 10 minutes trying to keep the line off the rough lava rocks and get the gaff hook down on the line to bring the fish up. (reckon those cliffs were probably 15ft off the water

but finally they pull it outIMG_7174.thumb.PNG.49629d1543658e1516d3f63a1a6ddf9d.PNG

saw the guy at the bottom

pretty nice catch off the shore.IMG_7175.thumb.jpg.e9c5582c6c19874307f18a7a91c77bce.jpg

That’s amazing!  Nice dorado!

Good job capturing all that with pics.

I have never cliff fished, seems pretty sketch. Would definitely scope it out and give it a shot though if could catch fish like that.

Did you do any fishing out there (not necessarily off a cliff)?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LUGR said:

Did you do any fishing out there (not necessarily off a cliff)?

was going to book a charter with my son but logistics made it too hard sadly.

4 minutes ago, LUGR said:

I have never cliff fished, seems pretty sketch. Would definitely scope it out and give it a shot though if could catch fish like that.

I would be very scared in that spot and there is no way I'd let my kids do it.

One big fish hits your line and gets you off balance you'd fall into water and get swept under the cliff edge.

back behind the lighthouse was a US Armed forces notice warning all service personnel of the dangers of the water on that side.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

was going to book a charter with my son but logistics made it too hard sadly.

I would be very scared in that spot and there is no way I'd let my kids do it.

One big fish hits your line and gets you off balance you'd fall into water and get swept under the cliff edge.

back behind the lighthouse was a US Armed forces notice warning all service personnel of the dangers of the water on that side.

Yeah, after looking at the pic of them hoisting up the fish, I don’t know if I could hang with that with out having a safety harness on. I would not be too worried about the fish pulling me over as long as the drag is set properly. More worried about tripping over something and going over the edge. Was there any area on the cliffs you could get back up at? Or would have to climb?

Yo, @aimercheck this out.

• Like 2