Home Made Food Flex Off

Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
5 hours ago, morton said:

Using hyper processed industrial meat substitute strikes me as going against the spirit of healthful eating.

To be fair 99% of the "real" bacon out there is probably made from animals pumped full of meds in factory farming and a ton of flavours and preservatives etc. added afterwards, one could argue this goes against the spirit of healthful eating as well 💁🏼

• Like 1
  • Truth 3

Corporate farm pig and cows are so fucked. That said, so is every other thing on a grocery store shelf unless you shop at some fucking hippy co-op and pay 12 dollars for a chapstick at the check out register. Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s are no exception. I love those places but it’s so ridiculously over priced I rarely go. 

IMHO Trader Joes and Whole Foods are almost total shit wrapped in a very thin veil of being "health food" stores.  And as I've said before on here, that salad/hot bar Whole Foods has is a public disease bath- yech!

Hog farms create a literal shit ton of pollution that permeates the surrounding land and threatens to spill into waterways.

Where/when I can I do try to go to local farms for meats/dairy, places where you can see the process, the numbers, the treatment, etc.  It does cost a little more, but you get fresh product that's a bit more humane, healthy, and environmentally friendly.  

Support your local farmers!

• Like 1
  • Truth 3

I never really rate by who owns the store or brand name, more or less how locally sourced each item is itself. I fucks with Costco heavy.

Food Value Tiers:

1. Grown & raised yourself
  2. Shook hands with producer
  3. Local cash only & no sales tax
  4. Corporate premium organic/local
  5. Diabetus juices & industrially processed
  • Like 1

I think I've said it before, I harbor unusual levels of hatred for whoever invented modern organic peanut butter. All that oil and shit separates from the concrete mix. Bread gets all torn the fuck up & greasy. I'd rather have Jiff or Skippy and take my chances with salmonella. Fuck organic peanut butter.

• LOL! 2

Trader Joe's was like that in NYC. Especially for snacks, and pre made foods. Students loved it because it was affordable. Doesn't work like that here. In non-affluent places in Colorado Trader Joe's doesn't even exist. It's all King Supers & Safeways ghetto shit, and shit like Sprouts that is over-priced organic shit. The higher end shit doesn't have everything you need there so you still ens up in King Supers anyway. It also doesn't help that prices here are near double for many grocery store staples compared to port cities like NYC & SF.

Mexicans here have the come ups on healthy affordable food here on lock. Semi-legal produce stands, and other types of street vendors that pop up here for everything. The only other come up is just growing the shit yourself, or copping in bulk straight to the source like a 1/4 cow or some shit. We have grass roots style co-ops, and CSA's (community subscription agriculture) where you pay in advance and get what you get. That still costs much more than street, or corporate grocers pound for pound though. Also starting to envy people that hunt, and pull in hundreds of pounds of meat for the cost of some cheap tags and a couple bullets.

• Like 1

Yea, they do market research. There has to be a certain number of people earning above X amount of dollars, or a major college campus within shopping distance for them to open one. We'll never get one where I live, but Boulder which has far less people than here has one.

7 hours ago, Mercer said:

Trader Joe's was like that in NYC. Especially for snacks, and pre made foods. Students loved it because it was affordable. Doesn't work like that here. In non-affluent places in Colorado Trader Joe's doesn't even exist. It's all King Supers & Safeways ghetto shit, and shit like Sprouts that is over-priced organic shit. The higher end shit doesn't have everything you need there so you still ens up in King Supers anyway. It also doesn't help that prices here are near double for many grocery store staples compared to port cities like NYC & SF.

Mexicans here have the come ups on healthy affordable food here on lock. Semi-legal produce stands, and other types of street vendors that pop up here for everything. The only other come up is just growing the shit yourself, or copping in bulk straight to the source like a 1/4 cow or some shit. We have grass roots style co-ops, and CSA's (community subscription agriculture) where you pay in advance and get what you get. That still costs much more than street, or corporate grocers pound for pound though. Also starting to envy people that hunt, and pull in hundreds of pounds of meat for the cost of some cheap tags and a couple bullets.

I like them sprouts!

• Truth 1

Lugr's plate needs some veg and carbs.

The thing about a CSA is that you have a shipment of produce coming, better new ready to deal with it or you run the risk of spoilage. My wife is good about starting with ingredients and developing a meal plan from there so it works out, if left to my own devices I usually develop a metal plan and shop from there so it would be a challenge.

Trader Joe's is good for frozen food and cheese, maybe some cookies.

• Truth 1

IMG_20221206_223840090.thumb.jpg.0f0307f1831ce6ce928d39907e8c60f8.jpg

Made some gingersnap cookies. The big ones came out burned and fucked up. The little ones are perfect. I did fuck up and used 1 tbs of salt instead of half. It's crazy how half a tablespoon of salt will fuck up and entire cookie doughs flavor profile. If I had more butter on deck I'd make them again tonight.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when I'll try my hand at making focaccia bread.

• Like 4
  • Props 1

@Magnum OPissThose skillets are probably the biggest flex in here for a long time, especially used Japanese style. that's some. If I looked down and saw that on the table I'd think $500-$800 tab just never saw that.

Just guessing, but it looks like uni broiled skillet, then topped with salmon roe, purple radish micro-greens, and green onion. I'm wondering if it's all uni is touching the skillet, or is there another ingredient in there with the uni?

• Truth 1