Grown ass men playing with LEGO

Fist 666

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been one of my big return of hobbies during pandemic.

I've done a few interesting ones lately, but only got a picture of a few:

• At-St from Mandolorian
  • Y-Wing bomber
  • Cameron Poe Black X-wing
  • A few other Star Wars sets

Moving into some other series of sets:

• Aston Martin from No Time to Die
  • Half Dome mini set from Yosemite
  • Smal Scale Grave Digger

CC9524C8-D1BB-40FC-8BF2-9CE278D22B3B.jpg

DAA11B19-92CE-429E-AD73-861AE4CB4A13.jpg

Image from iOS.jpg

• Like 4

RE: UCS Millenium Falcon: Fuck Yes.

ETA: I built that Imperial Probe Droid two days ago. Not a hard build, but a little frustrating on the construction of the legs. Legit have thought about putting a lil glue in a few connections.

Edited by the.crooked
Noticed something else in a photo.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe @Fist 666will make this his one appearance for 2022 otherwise don't know who could answer- @Schnitzelor @the.crooked or possibly @Ko SprueOne?

I keep seeing stuff that says your old Lego are worth money and that people want them but I'm really lost as to why unless they mean out of print, complete sets like a specific model plane?  Otherwise the design of the blocks hasn't changed and they're not dated to differentiate old from new?

On 3/8/2022 at 2:30 PM, One Man Banned said:

Maybe @Fist 666will make this his one appearance for 2022 otherwise don't know who could answer- @Schnitzelor @the.crooked or possibly @Ko SprueOne?

I keep seeing stuff that says your old Lego are worth money and that people want them but I'm really lost as to why unless they mean out of print, complete sets like a specific model plane?  Otherwise the design of the blocks hasn't changed and they're not dated to differentiate old from new?

It's most certainly sets in box. Lego rarely goes on sale, and even more rarely allows for retailers to put items on sale. So their prospective value in the market doesn't really dip.

Some sets more than others will fetch more. Whether they are vintage or not. However, some collectors (myself included when not exactly sober) will pay for vintage sets out of box but with instructions. I have one set that I haven't put together yet that's from the mid century when they were being manufactured for Lego by Samsonite, of all companies.

More recent sets that before they started doing second runs of them that were going pretty high in secondary markets were the Bonsai set, the Tree House, and from a few years ago the Architecture Studio. Three years ago you could still get that for under 200, I bought it last year at $399 unopened. Lego has stated they will never release that set again, hence the market spike.

Ultimately it's like any other collectable. However, I think the pandemic had an impact on millenials and gen x that had time and cash to spare from not going out. A flood of demand and a lack of supply has jacked prices in the secondary market. I don't think there's a scalper/scammer effect yet, but after news articles like the one that got linked I wouldn't be surprised.

• Like 3
  • Props 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 5:30 PM, One Man Banned said:

I'll give a fuller response later, Crooked hits some key points, but I can make pages about this conversation. 

I'll be back more regularly. I've missed this place and am going to put in some effort to revitalize it. 

• Like 3
  • Props 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...