The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

misteraven

48 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I'm still trying to position myself to where I can either work from home 100% of the time or make money doing whatever I want and maintain the lifestyle I have now.  If I can get a 100% remote position, i'm definitely going out into the wilderness to be a redneck.  As long as I have an internet connection that's all I need.  It's hard to find land in places where it's cheap AND there is also a local tech hub that I can work in...... so for me to get land like I want, I must move away from the tech hub, pay a bunch of money to live close to the tech hub, or figure out another way to make money.  That's the challenge right now that keeps me living in Austin, TX.

I have a friend that's been working on his business for years now w/ other mutual friends.  They said when they can pay me the required 150k/yr to make me jump ship then I will do so..... and then I can probably start doing whatever redneck shit I really want to do.  This city stuff is for the birds.

Hoping 5G solves the problem with remote access. The spec certainly looks promising as I understands it, its already in motion.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

There's a lot of noise surrounding 5g right now.  It will require base stations littered literally everywhere.  I also think that cities like Houston that are trialing the technology...... when you have base stations everywhere, you can effectively track every unique ID (phone) in the city.... and it's movement..... without GPS.  I really don't know what the "good" solution to this problem is other than better wireless technology.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:48 AM, One Man Banned said:

Did a great Chinese style eggs/corn omelet and then last night put poached eggs over a veggie hash of stuff I grabbed at that farmers market, damn good!

Was curious what the deal is about livestock and bears/wolves/predators?  Had done some research on bears and learned that in some states before you can shoot a bear for attacking your livestock you first must have anti-predator measures installed, mainly electric fencing I believe.  You obviously have multiple large predators around so surprised you haven't had anything sniffing around.

You've posted horses, chickens, ducks... I assume someone in your household is on shovel duty lol.

This is something you'll need to verify on your own. I'd call your local fish and game about it and make sure you have the rules in writing via an up to date guide or pamphlet since the consequences can be severe.

But yes, usually if you have a call or two into fish and game on record and then end up shooting a predator, you're covered if you can show that you were protecting livestock or yourself. We've had everything from bear traps to surveillance, to alarms and there's bear prints all over the place. I'd to have to shoot one, but nobody would fault me if I ended up with a dead bear on my lawn.

I don't worry about it here and believe the air horn I have will do in most cases, if ever needed.  We also have less rules to those things.  Was more curious about other areas as I had researched a bit and found the rules I mentioned.  I figured that since you have the bigger predators in mountain lions/wolves/bears that there might be some rules/regulations there to help preserve them and your rights at the same time.

I was checking out those ducks above and wondered how you came into yours (no pervo?).  Did you know about ducks or someone gave you or you got what's available?  I know there are certain types of ducks regarded more for eating and I assume others are kept more for eggs or as pets.  All your fowl have clipped wings?

40 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

I was checking out those ducks above and wondered how you came into yours (no pervo?).  Did you know about ducks or someone gave you or you got what's available?  I know there are certain types of ducks regarded more for eating and I assume others are kept more for eggs or as pets.  All your fowl have clipped wings?

I knew duck eggs were more desirable than chicken eggs in terms of taste and health. Local livestock place gets ducklings in along with their chicks so we bought them. They each have their pros / cons and yeah, there's a lot of differences between breeds. Obviously have meat birds and laying birds as a general category and there's a much different approach to both. I can recommend a book or two, but reality is you'll likely learn by just doing and googling shit you come up on.

None of my birds have clipped wings. Not generally needed, even on free range birds as we have.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LUGR said:

Anybody have binocular recommendations under $200? Been looking at Nikon and Vortex.

I got the Nikon at about $100, believe I got them from B&H and I think I had similar from them before.  Performs as expected for the price, fairly compact.  They've been decent for recon on a spot, some animal watching.....

Is there a special lady whose window you plan to spy through?

spying-with-binoculars-B0NECA.jpg.7ff5eee3a7a82a0a5bb19053522b577c.jpg

• LOL! 1

Not as cool as you guys do but last year there was a period where every spud in my cupboard seemed to start sprouting.

So each time I found one I buried in in my veggie patch.

last weekend lifted 12 pounds (5.5kg) of potatoes out of the garden. 

Not bad for a space about 4ft by 4ft and three other plants

IMG_8902.thumb.jpg.1312af0ed78ee7a134cf1e5e3a29cb7b.jpg

Not anything special basic Sebago potatoes but still 12 pounds worth.

I was told that supermarket potatoes are pretty sterile but these did the biz. my kids went mad for the little tiny ones I steamed up to eat that night.

Then went and bought some seed potatoes and planted them before reading label properly " do not plant where potatoes have been grown in previous 12 months".....

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...