Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
misteraven

The Off Grid living thread (Dropping out the rat race)

This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So here's the downside to that off grid life... A female grizzly and two male cubs eating half your flock.

IMG_5375.JPEG.thumb.jpeg.9fb3776562c872d7c4d7a31c5fe59b2f.jpeg

• Props 1

Suckily awesome.

Had thought about this when you first posted fowl.  

Did you have any deterrents like electric fence, or plans to add something?

41 minutes ago, One Man Banned said:

Suckily awesome.

Had thought about this when you first posted fowl.  

Did you have any deterrents like electric fence, or plans to add something?

No electric fence. Worried my kids or dog will touch it. I do have an 8 ft game fence and my cool is built about as solid as a human house. 

495A08B0-7F75-4D28-B565-8D23463FDB12.thumb.jpeg.2465b1724c60c1afa21aeb1edd27d153.jpeg

• Props 1

You best be posting pics of your catch!!!

Re: bear meat, never had, but heard it's pretty gamey.  Funny the number of things I've heard taste like chicken.

On 5/24/2018 at 12:20 PM, misteraven said:

Good timing, someone just sent me this...

Woman fights off grizzly bear, then walks to safety

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44243418

'Ms Kornak was able to reach a canister of bear spray, but accidentally sprayed it on herself before she was able to use it to ward off the animal.'

LOL

• LOL! 1

7 hours ago, Kults said:

'Ms Kornak was able to reach a canister of bear spray, but accidentally sprayed it on herself before she was able to use it to ward off the animal.'

LOL

Believe it or not this is pretty common for people using mace or the equivalent.  It's something they throw in a bag or leave on a shelf, when the time comes when it's needed they have no idea of the can's positioning and no muscle memory to go with that.  Fear, adrenalin, they just grab and spray and a lot of people mace themselves.  

^^^ I've heard the same is fairly commonplace with human mace. For it to be an effective self defence tool you have to keep it in hand, and ready before a confrontation. Anything else you run the risk of either macing yourself, or just pissing off your attacker.

Hand in my pocket,  finger on the trigger....

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

^^^ I've heard the same is fairly commonplace with human mace. For it to be an effective self defence tool you have to keep it in hand, and ready before a confrontation. Anything else you run the risk of either macing yourself, or just pissing off your attacker.

Suspect that it’s more a matter of how well a person keeps their head. That and training. Despite the fact that it’s mace and not a firearm, a person should still train. Guessing most people buy mace and then throw it in a bag, not even trying it once to see what spraying it is like. Not surprised when people like that also end up lacing themselves. 

4 hours ago, Mercer said:

I once had a giant Russian speaking motherfucker flic his cigarette in my face and charge at me. I nailed him with some mace I had in the car.  Man that shit travels and it hit him dead on in the face. Took the fight right out of him and he sat there weeping like a defeated child. It works.

Its kind of a bitch move but fuck it, it was that or get my ass savagely beat. 10/10 would spray again.

• LOL! 1

Reminds me that the other things people are less aware of with using mace is wind direction and I guess what we could call overspray- they're expecting it's only going where they point it.  

Also for bears or humans, generally effective, but there are those who can take it with little to no  effect.

I've been maced several times. Sucks, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

Worst time was at the B-Boy Summit in San Diego. I was filming a couple cops arresting a kid and saw movement from my peripheral. Assumed it was a cop looking to snatch my camera and when I turned I caught a face full of mace. I know cops carry a type of mace that is more potent than what the rest of us can carry and it was indeed brutal. I didn't see it coming, but assume it was one of those big riot control jugs because it was a big face full. Anyhow, was hard to talk as your throat sort of gets restricted and you definitely can't see much for the first 10 minutes. Takes a solid hour or two for you to sort of go back to normal. As far as regular mace, its much less severe and more just something you don't want to deal with than being debilitating. Besides being a weaker formula, its a much smaller spray pattern and quantity. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother with it as a safety thing and have seen people get a face full of it and only get more pissed off than back off.

• Props 1

Well since we're talking mace stories...

First one was my homie Storm (R.I.P.) a car full of kids rolled up talking shit to him, so he pretended he didn't hear what they said and walked up to them real casual like he was trying to be helpful and give directions or something. Whipped out a can of pepperspray and lit the entire car up real good, got in a few punches through the window as well. None of those kids had any idea what to do, driver was blinded, kids were scared to step out of the car straight into a blind ass beating. It was like watching poetry in slow motion.

My own best mace incident was this time I was driving a cab in Denver. I used to get into altercations every day on that job so I always had a can of mace (amongst other things) ready. I get flagged down by an older couple in lodo, AKA lower downtown but they were across this street which was a one way, 3 or 4 lanes wide. I stopped across the street, waited for all the cars to go past so I could cut all the way over to them and scoop up the passengers.

As I'm stopped, the cars behind me understandably got mad, and honked/yelled shit as they went around me. When I pulled up to the older couple some dirtbag, who was king of brawny was walking down the sidewalk joined in with yelling shit at me, like the road rage I caused was contagious and he caught a sidewalk strain of it. The older dude (over 60 for sure) said something to him and dude went up to the old guy and shoved him, knocking him down on the sidewalk.

I grabbed my mace and jumped out, went around the car and dude was still standing there with a semi stunned look on his face like oh shit, I just fucked up a senior citizen . I blasted him in the grill with mace, and kicked him pretty hard in the chest knocking the wind out of him, and he went down to the ground. I was still on the clock so to speak, and the hustle in me just wanted to get this fare in the ride, so I was trying to help the old dude up and into the back of the car  before anyone showed up and police got involved. I get him up, and started getting him into the car, look back and the dudes wife was standing over the dirtbag dude stomping, and kicking him old lady style while yelling shit in Spanish, it was hilarious. 

Me and the old dude grab her, we all got into the taxi and drove off. The older couple was laughing like they loved it. They started saying they'd get their relatives to come back to find that guy and beat his ass some more once they got home. Then they started showing me they had gang tattoos on their hands, telling me stories, and we all eventually started clowning the dude we handled saying he got stomped out by an old lady. Good times.

On 10/2/2018 at 8:45 PM, Kults said:

Its kind of a bitch move but fuck it,

I can't agree with you on this.  I say if someone is going to fight then they're potentially trying to kill you and that's why there are no rules in a street fight.  Bricks, belt buckles, mace before you beat their ass, etc is all ok in a street fight.

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

Damn, this topic sure strayed. 

Anyone doing any hunting now that it’s Fall? Been also trying to decide if I should over winter my ducks or just eat them. 

• LOL! 1