Seasonal/migrant work in the US?

crackalackin

Hey 12oz, so I've got a question I think some of you may be able to help me with.

I'm looking to get the fuck out of the city I live in and move around the country for a little while. I figure my best option, because I'm dead broke right now, is to jump from different seasonal-type jobs that provide room and board. I've managed to line up a possible job in Yosemite, but nothing beyond that. Any of you have experience doing this? Know any websites or resources for finding work like that? Any tips or assistance would be appreciated.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go where the crops are...there's work out there, it generally sucks and doesn't pay shit unless you're union but if you're after mobility it's not hard to find. I have friends that work the beet harvest every year, they seem to enjoy it enough to continue doing it.

Another thing to look into is WWOOF. There's no money in it really but if you want to travel/live cheap and do some work woofing is a great way to make that happen.

Do not- I repeat, DO NOT- come to northern CA to work the weed harvest unless a ) you know what you're doing and b) have something solid lined up. Otherwise you will end up sitting in a shitty redneck town with a bunch of oogles trying to get work, and if and when you do find work your odds for getting screwed to some degree (if not totally) are around 100%.

• Like 1

I was gonna suggest wwoof but shai beat me to it. I also second the don't come to norther cali just looking for work not knowing anyone or what you are doing thing.

Not sure what your job is in yosemite, but that place is not very fun in the winter. Expect to get snowed in on a regular basis, also expect that if you are working at one of the mountains out there that when you get snowed in you are still expected at work that day. It is fucking awesome up there though. But beware of the cops out there.

Do not- I repeat, DO NOT- come to northern CA to work the weed harvest unless a ) you know what you're doing and b) have something solid lined up. Otherwise you will end up sitting in a shitty redneck town with a bunch of oogles trying to get work, and if and when you do find work your odds for getting screwed to some degree (if not totally) are around 100%.

man i had no idea how bad it really was. fuckin hippie shit heads everywhere. hahaha. locals got loose on some of them

Typical traveler in Oakland around August- "Dude, I'm gonna go up north and trim, make a bunch of money and smoke weed, then I'm gonna go to New Orleans for the winter, leave after Mardi Gras, it's gonna be sick!"

Same traveler in November, back in Oakland, looking rather discouraged- "Dude, I sat in Arcata/Garberville for a month with a bunch of douchebags, finally got picked up by some tweaker who only paid me for half my work and half of that was in weed...hey, do you want to buy some weed? I need to get rid of this shit before I go to NOLA and no one back home wants to wire me any cash."

• Like 1

Hey 12oz, so I've got a question I think some of you may be able to help me with.

I'm looking to get the fuck out of the city I live in and move around the country for a little while. I figure my best option, because I'm dead broke right now, is to jump from different seasonal-type jobs that provide room and board. I've managed to line up a possible job in Yosemite, but nothing beyond that. Any of you have experience doing this? Know any websites or resources for finding work like that? Any tips or assistance would be appreciated.

The only experience I've had with a job like that, they made damn sure they got their moneys worth out of us.

12 hour days and no days off.

We were basically stuck at the hotel or at work.

Wouldn't recommend it.