Seasonal/migrant work in the US?

crackalackin

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have any experience with WWOOF they'd like to share?

There's a few places in the East Bay that can get you going...I don't know what the situation is out in SF but I think there's a couple permaculture spots out here that might be able to point you in the right direction.

I burn hot and cold on WWOOFers. Some are really cool, some rub me the wrong way. I've worked in the community off and on for years via EB Food Not Bombs (lots of overlap there) but never did it myself...one of these days I'll hear about something that sounds right and pursue it, but it hasn't happened yet.

I've been doing other stuff lately not FNB related but if I hear anything I'll get back to you. It's around the time of year when people start making plans to go work on various farms.

i would go to work in the oil/gas ind, or if you feel inclined to do that job different there are drillers in the geothermal/steam energy sector that are ex. oil/gas.

Ask brewster and a couple other nurglers here . . . people with good heads on their shoulders get good placements, pay and a career.

I think.

So you put in an application and go from there.. If you don't like an offer you can walk away.

Thing is, it's a lot easier to trade up when you're already working to begin with. I get that it is really difficult to start over when you haven't had a legal job in a decade, and getting a job cuts into EBT.

However, I was in a position similar to what you describe less than a year ago and I changed it, so I disagree.

You said "The only on the books job I can get right now requires me to dress nice, pays $8/hr and tops out at 20 hours a week."

I don't believe you. How often do you look for jobs and what kind of jobs are you looking for? Your thinking smacks of fatalism.

It all comes down to your motivations and what you are satisfied with I suppose.

You don't believe me? Well, fuck me standing, there goes all my credibility. Maybe I should just go lay down in a pile of dicks and die now.

When you said "Sell cocaine" it took me a minute to realize that it was great advice, but probably not in the way that you would think. Now I know that whenever you say something is a good idea, I should probably do the exact opposite.

FWIW, the job was doing food delivery on a bike in SF and the reason I passed was because they didn't even pay minimum wage. They said that tips would average out my take, I told them I'd rather have minimum wage than gamble on the kindness of the extremely idle rich. Thus, the impasse.

i can't think of a lot of options for room and board unless you're an all around handy man and find a work for free rent/basic expenses deal on CL

or you head to cali and work on a vineyard

or if by the completely odd chance your record is totally clean and you're gay or seem gay as fuck and don't look/act/talk sketch in any way...you could be a nanny

or oil rig

Fuckin' wish I could pay my staff that. On a public holiday, I have to pay underage's $27/hr to wash glasses in the restaurant. And that's Australian money, not US funny money.

WHAT

and usd is only .06 higher than australian dollar

and i'm smarter than like 75% of australians

time to move australia then i guess

Haha.

I have an American working for me at the moment, but he's in a pretty high position. The hardest part for me is not randomly talking in an American accent when he asks me a question. Top bloke though. Not me, him. I'm an arsehole.

One thing to remember is the cost of living here. A decent six pack costs $18.

Not that any of you fuckers care - but compared to Canada I thought Oz. was expensive when I lived there, but at that time there was a decent amount of job openings for skilled trade.

Here its $10 bucks a pack for smokes

10-15 for a cold 6 pack

$4.86 for a Gallon ($1.28 per liter)

Currently I live in San Francisco (minimum wage 10.24) and work a dead-end food service job.

This is your number one problem. Quit right now and don't ever look back. Food service is the fucking worst. But why not move to colorado or washington and start a weed store. 100% Legal in those states.

You might want to consider using some of your restaurant connections to buy some woman (just ask the mexican dudes who speak no english they know someone) and start a "massage" business. Or you could import some eastern european or asain woman. Figure your investment to buy them would pay off in no time and you would never have to worry about cooch.

You could also slice your finger off at work and just sit back and get workers comp for the rest of your life. You might need to make it a whole hand to that though.

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd update this, even though I'm sure no one really cares.

I managed to nab a job at a lodge in the Sierras right outside of Yosemite. It was the best thing I've ever done with my life and I find myself very happy. My job is extremely hard, bussing in their fancy restaurant, but it's far better than my last one. I'm leaving at the end of the season, either with an amazing girl I managed to find myself, or a car bought from my friend, to continue the adventure. Phase one went off without a hitch, and thanks for all the advice oontz! Really glad you warned me against WWOOF and the like.