Solo in Tokyo. Travel photo thread.

So I just got back from 2 weeks in Tokyo. Went over on my own to get away from work, see a different part of the world. Get lost, take a lot of photos. All that stuff. Work on a photo book...

This thread is just a load of touristy snaps, some food and Tokyo bombing snaps. A couple were Instagramed but most are just normal shots.

There's a few photos and they're not the smallest...

Waited for my flight

IMG_1399.jpg

Got some duty free

IMG_1400.jpg

Landed at Narita and took this into Tokyo

IMG_1402.jpg

Hotel room

IMG_1406.jpg

Hotel view

IMG_1405.jpg

It was late so I grabbed some convenience store sushi and vending machine beer. $6 dinner, can't complain

IMG_1408.jpg

Went to drop off a camera for repairs in Ginza and got mad lost in the rain for a few hours. Stumbled upon Freshness Burger. Not really Japanese but it was pretty good, and good to be inside

IMG_1421.jpg

Went and checked out Map Camera in Shinjuku, dudes here are real cool. If you like cameras at all…

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1441.jpg

Picked up a new lens for the trip

IMG_1428.jpg

Relaxed before heading out again

IMG_1433.jpg

Saw this guy

IMG_1436.jpg

Checked out the Place M gallery in Shinjuku, if you like photography check them out. A lot of dope Japanese photographers have work there. They have a 24hr darkroom too.

IMG_1437.jpg

Mad films, which actually isn't even that much cheaper then Aus now…

IMG_1440.jpg

Want

IMG_1443.jpg

No idea what this stuff was

IMG_1446.jpg

Heard it's common to take a hot bath in Japan before bed so I had a soak

IMG_1448.jpg

Ass washing heated toilet seat

IMG_1449.jpg

And every thread needs some of these right?

IMG_1450.jpg

Checked out the Sensō-ji temple in Asakusa

IMG_1452.jpg

• Like 5

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_1453.jpg

It was Golden Week which is a combination of a few public holidays, so a lot of places were crazy with people for the first week

IMG_1457.jpg

Throwing stars and swords

IMG_1460.jpg

The Sky Tree which isn't open yet

IMG_1463.jpg

And some rap letters under it

IMG_1464.jpg

Wandered around Asakusa some more then hopped on the subway

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

Got some foods, you can get such good meals for like $12. So stoked

IMG_1467.jpg

Walked around the Marunouchi area and it started to rain. That place sucks, it's just offices and streets with Cartier and Tiffany's. Kinda like Ginza. White tourist/business area. But there's some rap letters around

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1470.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

Picked up an umbrella and went to Shibuya, couldn't get the umbrella to work and met a girl who I went to dinner with a few days later. Some sneaky Utah/Ether bombing around Shibuya, and others

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

Shibuya crossing

IMG_1487.jpg

Street my hotel was on, in Ueno

IMG_1485.jpg

Outside the station/markets

IMG_1496.jpg

Moon came out

IMG_1511.jpg

Checked out Akihabara, electronics district and the place for real nerdy white guys who want to go to maid cafes

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

They've got female only train carriages, I think it's only at night but I guess there's some mad creeping going on

IMG_1506.jpg

JR Line from Ueno Park

IMG_1541.jpg

IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

Got some roast pork meal, so good

IMG_1544.jpg

These dogs everyone has are rad

IMG_1549.jpg

Shibuya bombing

IMG_1552.jpg

Went to this club near Roppongi I think, had our own little section and the staff were way too helpful, bringing over drinks and cleaning up vomit without a question

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

At some point I looked around and they were playing Style Wars projected on the wall, haha. No idea why

IMG_1565.jpg

Waited for the first service

IMG_1567.jpg

Next day before I went to take this girl to dinner I went to the Tokyo Metropolitan Museum, free and probably the best view of the city. Was up there as the tail end of the cyclone that hit Japan came through

IMG_1591.jpg

Went to check out Tokyo Tower, passed the Zojoji temple on the way

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1605.jpg

Some of the parks in the city are awesome, you walk in and forget you're even in Tokyo

IMG_1608.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_1614.jpg

Tokyo Tower is nothing special, went and got some ramen

IMG_1627.jpg

There was this little aquarium, and this fish seemed to like me

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

Blue jellyfish

IMG_1635.jpg

Went to meet a mate in Yoyogi park but got way too lost on the wrong train. Finally got to the park

IMG_1640.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

Harajuku bombing

IMG_1649.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

IMG_1651.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

Checked out the National Museum in Ueno

IMG_1655.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

Toilet instructions

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

More bombing, mostly in Ebisu

IMG_1667.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_1668.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

Went to check this out, Robert Doisneau - Retrospective show was great. Then got some eats

IMG_1672.jpg

IMG_1675.jpg

Some more Harajuku/Shibuya streets

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1678.jpg

IMG_1680.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

Decided to head to Kyoto for a couple of days. Took the Shinkansen (bullet train)

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1692.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

Checked out the Yasaka Shrine and Maruyama Park

IMG_1718.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

Stopped for some Sake

IMG_1742.jpg

Heaps of cats hanging around parks in Japan

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

• Like 2

IMG_1756.jpg

Not many rap words in Kyoto, but some sneaky names around

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Visited some more temples and parks, Kyoto is really nice in some parts but way too touristy in the main areas. It'd be awesome to visit if you could speak fluent Japanese and head outside the main city area

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1783.jpg

Headed back to Tokyo and got to see Mt Fuji from the train

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1822.jpg

Sunset going through Yokohama

IMG_1823.jpg

Went to pick up my camera from repairs

IMG_1827.jpg

Customer service in Japan is great. Where else could you turn up, say that your camera is broken and within 10 minutes you have an exact quote for the repair and a date to collect it, within 2 weeks. Mad respect for Ricoh. Working in camera sales and dealing with repair agents I've never had such a good experience.

IMG_1826.jpg

Took a look at the Imperial Palace

IMG_1834.jpg

Japan is great for eating solo, there's a bunch of stand-up noodle bars in small alleys, and joints like this where you pick your meal from a machine and get a ticket. Good to grab a quick meal, and well priced too. Maybe $5 for a meal with a side of miso soup.

IMG_1836.jpg

JR looks very different when it's empty

IMG_1838.jpg

Found this in a supermarket, they've got heaps of 'sake cups', I don't usually buy souvenirs or anything, but I got to drink some sake and now I've got a glass for home

IMG_1839.jpg

IMG_1840.jpg

Girl I met said cup noodle is what's up so I grabbed some, she was right. Cup noodle is legit.

IMG_1842.jpg

Heard a bunch of noise and saw this going on. They were preparing for some festival which happened the next day. Carrying these statue things in teams back to the shrine.

IMG_1848.jpg

Went through Shibuya again

IMG_1854.jpg

Went back to the Place M gallery to check out the latest exhibition they had, and went through the Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden

IMG_1882.jpg

Crows in Tokyo are awesome, they're huge and some are pretty down with humans. Although I saw one swoop on a picnic and everyone ran while the crow jacked all their crackers

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

More from Shinjuku/Shibuya

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

Rockabillies in Yoyogi park

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1918.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1980.jpg

Ended up in the sex district, Tokyo isn't laid out in a grid format so when you think you can take one street to get to the same place as another… Well, you can't. Had mad Nigerians hustling me to go watch Thai girls.

Probably the best one was some friendly little old lady who grabbed me and started leading me away, thought she must be selling some souvenirs until she started rubbing my arm and making wanking motions.

Wanted

IMG_1981.jpg

Wanto…

IMG_1985.jpg

Waited to get on the airport line

IMG_1986.jpg

Nice weather to fly out

IMG_1991.jpg

Hung out using the JAL lounge WiFi from here

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_1995.jpg

Got on this and spent 10 hours trying to sleep in the most uncomfortable positions, unable to put my seat back because the guy behind me was so fat he blocked everything.

IMG_1996.jpg

I've got to go back to work for the next 6 days but next Tuesday I'll be dropping off all of my colour rolls to get processed, and hopefully this week I can start to develop some of the black and white stuff I shot.

All of that will go in the Photography thread over in Untitled. There's a few more graff flicks on the rolls though so anything like that or just stupid photos I'll post in here.

• Like 5

The language barrier was pretty overwhelming at some points. When I got there, it was raining non-stop, I was lost and doing circles and asking for help got me nowhere.

The most important things I had to talk to people about like the camera repairs was pretty easy though, they spoke some English and we worked it out. After the first week I'd kind of settled in, I knew where I was mostly and picked up some basic stuff from listening to people in restaurants and shops.

Pointing helps though, pictures on menus is a big plus, haha. When catching the JR trains or the Shinkansen most staff speak pretty good English, and in larger tourist spots. On the subways though and in smaller areas it does get harder.

Set me back cost wise? I spent under $4k in total including flights, accommodation and subway fares, etc... I still have something like $400 in my wallet now. The subway system is great, you can get a Pasmo or Suica card which is 2000 Yen. 500 of that is a deposit you can get back when/if you return the card and the other 1500 is then credit for trains. You can also use it to shop in some convenience stores or vending machines.

I didn't really research cost but I'd saved more then enough. Could have done it cheaper if I went with other people, but for what I was doing I got by fine.

GOOD THREAD.

GOOD PICS.

GOOD COUNTRY.

BONER/10. WOULD BANG.

---------------------------------

My friends and I were also approached by waves Nigerians in Tokyo.

One actually convinced us to go to his strip club by giving us all we could drink for like $30 for an hour.

While there, my friend and I sat with these fucking strippers who went on to regale us with their tales of human trafficking and sexual slavery.

I dont know what I have written on my face that makes these chix think I wanna hear these stories, but that wasn't the first time I've had a night at a bar become painfully uncomfortable due to sex crime stories.

^ I had a similar experience in Barcelona, but it was overshadowed by an American swinger couple; I felt the wife's t1tz for wasted fun and then she tried to make out with me while her husband leered and offered me cigarettes, which prompted me to leave immediately.

Excellent thread, da1ly...propped...I would like to do Asia but I'm scurred of the language barrier. I assume this was your first time there?

Haha, fuck. Thankfully I didn't experience anything that awkward. Some weird gay German dude in this club tried rubbing my leg with his foot under the table. In the end I just bailed, he had the fucking creepiest smile. Heaps suss guy.

Some of the Nigerians are real staunch, I almost got cornered by a fake Ed Hardy joint but slipped away.

One night there was this guy in a suit just flashing handfuls of cash in the Family Mart. Didn't even bother to ask what his hustle was.

Yeah, first time. I'll definitely go back, but probably try to learn the language properly first. It would be amazing being able to speak somewhat fluently there. I've been wanting to do Japan for a few years though, so it was well worth it.

• Like 1

Buuuump.

Looking forward to the film photos, since I'm sure you have like 30 rolls worth

20 ;)

Close, haha. I'll probably try to start on the B&W tonight after work. Sadly the colour will take longer, but there's a mix of C-41 and E-6.

I imagine you saw a lot of homeless people too, back in 2004 they were already a lot but now after 4 years of crisis there should be even more

Around Ueno where I stayed there's supposed to be the largest population of them, but I didn't see too many. More then in Sydney obviously, but they keep to themselves and some of them are pretty friendly. One guy was waving at me and trying to talk some broken English, just wanted to chat.

Solo traveling? Thatta boy! I admire shit like that.

couple questions...

Overall, were the Japanese friendly/welcoming?

How easy would it have been to get laid there?

That is all. /props.

Most welcoming culture I've experienced. You go to get on a train at the same time as someone else, and they'll bow and let you on. Same thing even walking into a toilet. If they do speak English then they're keen to ask about your trip and get pretty excited that you're visiting.

So much respect there as a general rule, it was amazing.

If you were hanging with Japanese people to help you out, then there would be no trouble.

Solo with no Japanese skill, quite a lot harder, but still probably fairly easy in the right places. Shibuya, Harajuku in a lot of the small clubs there.

Girl I met was too shy though, but I kept hanging with her cause she's cool and it was really good to be with someone from the city. And now I've got a hook up in Tokyo, and a chance to actually learn the language from a local. Maybe get married in a few years, who knows.

But if you wanna pay for it, then you'd find it in a second. Haha. Paying for sex is illegal in Japan but there's a lot of bath houses and massage places where you pay quite a bit 'for the massage' and once it's over if you 'fall in love' with the girl then anything goes for the next hour.

excellent thread!

you really did it up!

how did you get the beers? when I was in japan the only beer vending machine I found ( don't ask how I failed so hard) was by the shrine in Hiroshima and you needed an ID card to get the beers to prove your age.

The sake Cup looks dope as well would make a nice set!

would prop but can't

looks good all your wanderings through yoyogi park and stuff like that.

It's pretty nice to get on trains that don't have the windows scribed to fuck eh?

watch out for upskirting!!!

I would like to do Asia but I'm scurred of the language barrier.

Don't fear this.

If you go semi-prepared it will only be a minor inconvenience in most places in Asia.

Semi-prepared = having a map and/or all addresses and phone numbers written down to hand to cab drivers or for asking someone to point you in the right direction.

I've gotten around Korea, Japan, The Philippines, Thailand & Hong Kong like this.

You'd also be surprised at how many of those ricey bastards speak enough English to help you.

Plus, the worst thing that could happen is you get lost for a while before you find somebody that speaks enough English to help you.

You won't starve to death.

In Tokyo, my friends and I went to some hole in the wall bar that was punk themed.

The dudes spoke no English, but were happy we liked Japanese hardcore bands.

They told us (charades as fuck) about some place that had live music.

We tried to find it going by the name and vague directions a few days later.

Couldn't find it.

Went back to their bar to ask again.

They sent this girl that was chilling at the bar as our guide to this bar and when we got there she just hi-fived us and bowed and took off back to the bar.

Inside there was an all girl ska band dressed in kimonos.

Great night.

Cool story, br0.

TL; DR--------I am ignorant to Asian languages and Asians are usually helpful and/or speak more English than you'd expect.

Plus, even if you end up learning some of the language in any country as far as speaking it, your listening comprehension is going to be wack as fuck until you get used to how they speak, etc...just go.