((((( open mic/amateur stand-up )))))

MedicineCabinet

the advanced search function was used, & without surprise, the results still suck

stand-up comedy, amateur shit to be specific - open mics, small gigs, being heckled relentlessly, etc...

some of you are seemingly witty & i imagine could have, would have, or have pulled off a good night at some rat hole of an open mic gig

anyone here ever been on stage? share the stories of your people

i want to be an entertainer, mom

1955610187bobbyhill6573.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're shooting a high budget music video for Philly Moves this evening at the Dunbar Bridge. All laff heads are welcome to come through and clown during our set.

We start filming at 7pm tonight (oct 21 2011)

I know its last minute, but spread the word.

Word.

I got on stage for an open mic before

I was the opener actually.

I just went to go get some tacos and beer with this chick I was taking out for the first time. We didn't know it was open mic before we got there. The MC was asking people to go up but everyone was scurred. I went up there and did some shit. Got laughs. I'm comfortable talking in front of groups of people. I really just did it to impress the girl, show her I was spontaneous or whatever...

Anyways.... I ended up smashing that broad that night so I guess it worked.

I just told a bunch of those Pun Racoon meme jokes. This was a year or so ago when those shits were being posted in the nonsense thread everyday and were still fresh in my memory at the time.

"what do you call it when a rock climber leaves behind a message?

CLIFF NOTES"

P.S.-

LIKE A BOSS.

• Like 2

Definatly one of those things ive thought about doing before, like you watch a good bit of stand up or some short film about a wanna be comedian and get all coke dreamy about trying it.

I might just give it a shot sooner or later, most of my humor is inside joke kinda on the spot nonsense but hey what can giving it a try hurt.

Ain't ever done it, but there is a bar near my house that does/did have an amatuer comedy night and it fucking sucked. And for some reason I always forgot the night and would stroll in there and instantly want to drink myself to death.

That's all.

I come up with whole acts whenever I eat mushrooms.

I write them down.

Then the next day I read them and they are complete nonsense.

FAIL.

a good friend & i always forget to record our conversations

we are in creative need of those classic news reporter recorders using mini cassettes

Medicine I seriously been writing bits and jokes down prepping myself for a set. Never actually been up tho.

It's definitely something I'll go through and become a writer later on.[/color]

it has only been a few days since i have started putting jokes & bit ideas on paper, but said friend & i have been rattling this idea back & forth for probably about six months now

i too, have no idea when & if i would ever actually perform... relatively soon, hopefully. talking on a stage is not exactly my thing

Definatly one of those things ive thought about doing before, like you watch a good bit of stand up or some short film about a wanna be comedian and get all coke dreamy about trying it.

I might just give it a shot sooner or later, most of my humor is inside joke kinda on the spot nonsense but hey what can giving it a try hurt.

hah, exactly

i hope you do go through with it for the better

word to my br0z - i knew there would be aspiring stand-ups here; there is too much creative shit talking not to be. i am glad to have asked & hopefully this thread can serve those interested in whatever menial way

& realizing that being a real comic means decades of torture (fuck that dude married to katy perry who thinks he is funny), i understand i probably will not go through with all of that - i would be happy in having a good streak in making a few different rooms around the city laugh, as a side project in life or the like

i had a friend tell me like a week or two ago that i should. i dunno. i grew up on a metric shit ton of stand-up, but i'm the type of person that needs a muse or someone to feed me subject matter or whatever. i don't care about anything enough to want to talk about it. also, i don't like being in front of anyone. i went to catholic school, my shame is on 11.

i do have a few friends that do comedy. i'd post links but it'd get, like, totally criticized, and shit.

Most little mp3 players have a microphone recording option.

Gigs upon gigs of recording space.

my mp3 player is a single gig piece of shit without such a function

i appreciate the thought though

five pointer fingers? I better click that.

it was worth it; dude is apparently the lil b of stand-up

whether he is some kind of hipster inside joke or not, i maintain a level of respect for those willing to risk failing so hard on stage

i had a friend tell me like a week or two ago that i should. i dunno. i grew up on a metric shit ton of stand-up, but i'm the type of person that needs a muse or someone to feed me subject matter or whatever. i don't care about anything enough to want to talk about it. also, i don't like being in front of anyone. i went to catholic school, my shame is on 11.

i do have a few friends that do comedy. i'd post links but it'd get, like, totally criticized, and shit.

childhood trauma & repression in general is recipe for great comedy

on a related note for fans and the aspiring alike, which comedians have influenced you the most?

bill burr, bill hicks, & mitch hedberg

whos shit can you not stand?

dane cook, daniel tosh, & that british dude married to katy perry - fuck outta here with that unfunny & plastic, store-bought shit

it was worth it; dude is apparently the lil b of stand-up

whether he is some kind of hipster inside joke or not, i maintain a level of respect for those willing to risk failing so hard on stage

That's Tim From Tim & Eric.

I think he was trolling the audience.

It makes me laugh harder the more I watch it.

There are a few others on there that he did.

on a related note for fans and the aspiring alike, which comedians have influenced you the most?

bill burr, bill hicks, & mitch hedberg

whos shit can you not stand?

dane cook, daniel tosh, & that british dude married to katy perry - fuck outta here with that unfunny & plastic, store-bought shit

I love me some Doug Stanhope, Kevin Hart, Steve Martin, etc... All the classic guys. Shit, there re tons of great comedians that I can't even really begin to make a list. I loved MTV's Half Hour Comedy Hour when it was on in the 90's as well as HBO's One NIght Stand. So many funny people.

i was skimming through the comments during & assumed it was something along the lines of that

apart from what is obvious, i knew fuck all regarding stand-up until a year ago or so; a friend showed me clips of various legends & tuned me into the world of comedy podcasts

recently watched doug stanhopes hour in NYC via comedy central & it was great