Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MedicineCabinet

((((( open mic/amateur stand-up )))))

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
cuuunt, how did your set go?

Havent done it yet.

I was set up for late November but due to some bullshit it didnt pull through.

To be honest its been on my mind and ive been working on my routine.

It will happen, and hopefully there will be audio, maby even video.

Thanks for re-vamping my interest in this, definatly something I dont want to let go.

That's awesome man hope you pull thru with it.

Just found a lil bar that does open mic night on sundays. I'm trying to setup my material with a good intro, small joke, story joke and out...

Are any of you practicing your jokes with other people? Like I'll randomly throw in my bits with coworkers without them realizing I'm testing my material out. Small crowds are a different story but I can manage speaking to a good amount of people while teling a story at a party.

Havent done it yet.

I was set up for late November but due to some bullshit it didnt pull through.

To be honest its been on my mind and ive been working on my routine.

It will happen, and hopefully there will be audio, maby even video.

Thanks for re-vamping my interest in this, definatly something I dont want to let go.

no problem/pressure

let us know how it goes, when it does

That's awesome man hope you pull thru with it.

Just found a lil bar that does open mic night on sundays. I'm trying to setup my material with a good intro, small joke, story joke and out...

Are any of you practicing your jokes with other people? Like I'll randomly throw in my bits with coworkers without them realizing I'm testing my material out. Small crowds are a different story but I can manage speaking to a good amount of people while teling a story at a party.[/color]

good shit!

hah - i too, looked for a small place on a quiet night; it was a crowd of no more than 15

My bar does it every Monday. It's gotten to the point where the bar is packed.

Stand-up is going through a resurgence in Chicago. Some people that suck have no focus,

or direction, just a bunch of non-conected rants with lame punchlines.

The storytellers do the best. If you can manage to keep everything somehow tied together,

or part of the flow, they seem to do the best.

This past Monday this Jewish dood (who was called to go up), came in late, in a suit, sweating

profusely(coke) and smoked through 10 minutes of material in barely 3 minutes. He then

grabbed his jacket and stormed out the door, just like he came in. It was so strange that

it was pretty funny.

try it out br0?

tonight was my second time, same venue

told a joke, followed by a related story... definitely got some laughs, but i think i would be better understood at a place that is not full of vegan tpwfs, feminist types, & middle-aged bluegrass enthusiasts; my joke about burn victims & satan did not go over as well as i had thought

next time

Been working on the routine, this week is hell week but next week im just going for it.

Hole in the wall here I come, wish me luck nurgas.

Ill try to tape it, and if its any good at all ill post.

Haha thatd be a good way to open it up really.

Ill probably, actually definatly be drunk so I dont really care its just stand up.

Ive been watching alot of Louie and its reinvigorated my interest to do this.

Hope all you guys who have been doing it love it, who knows maby one of us will be the next big thing.

I HIGHLY recommend watching "Talking Funny" on HBO, I'm sure it's online if you don't have the channel.

Louis C.K., Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Chris Rock sit around talk comedy.

Completely interesting, 'inspiring' as far as comedic careers and that fields go. They even mention their first jokes and standup early years..

I HIGHLY recommend watching "Talking Funny" on HBO, I'm sure it's online if you don't have the channel.

Louis C.K., Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Chris Rock sit around talk comedy.

Completely interesting, 'inspiring' as far as comedic careers and that fields go. They even mention their first jokes and standup early years..[/color]

sounds awesome

thanks, i will definitely check it out

Jan. 25th im booked at a place doing its first ever comedy night.

Its game time, been working on a routine for a few weeks and im ready.

Wish me luck fools.

Last night it went down fellas.

First gig, hole in the wall but still atleast 30 people came out.

Only 5 people did a gig, I was up about 10 minutes.

It was amazing, not me but the experience.

Alot of homies/girlies came out to support me and I had people dap me up

after my routine, and they actually ask me to do and encore, so I did about

another 5minutes.

Im stoked, hopefully I can make it a weekly thing

• Like 2

That's awesome man! You were good enough to be asked for an encore. Were you prepped for that or you just winged the extra 5 min? And I heard 5-10min actually lasts alot longer than it sounds.

I just emailed to be put down for an open mic this sunday, still waiting on a reply.

Yeah man it was quite the experience. I was prepped for my first 10 with shit ive been writing down all week, the 5min encore was a few things I forgot in my first set and then I pulled 3 or 4 jokes and a quick story out of my ass.

Thats awsome dude, exactly how I got my gig. Get your fella/ladies to come out, drink but not too much before and it should be a good ass time.

Good luck big homie, im sure youll bring the heat

word the fuck up cunt, congrats! the first experience itself was like lifting weight off your chest, was it not br0?

i did my third one on tuesday, at a place with less dreads (they werenice, though) - same jokes as the week before. they were understood a little more to say at the least at this place. the people were generally cool to me, so i will hopefully try to go back next week

there is no way i can say "good luck" on this page again without sounding like a total fagg0t, but good luck also, words

if either of you ever stop by toronto, i am totally down to go eat shit on some random open mic with yall

• Like 1

I how some girls up in montreal area ive been meaning to visit.

If im out that way which is quite possible this summer well try to link up and do a set itd be fun as shit if nothing else.

Congrats to everyone doing this, im already looking for my second place to go but the first lace I went was almost begging me to come back next week so I might make that my training camp till I get my routine polished.

How do you guys rehearse/write your stuff?

I just have a piece of paper I carry on me and when I get an idea I write it down then on some side time(shower/driving) whatever i try to say it out loud or think how I can tie it in.

Stories are the best though, even shit that youre use to in life can be lolz to other people.