The Bake Sfale

CityonSMASH

So, umm. I'm posting from my phone which makes it annoying for fancy bod colored text and pics but inna nutshell some students are putting together a bake sale where they charge according to race.

Ya:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/berkeley-college-bakesale-incites-debate-racism/story?id=14597584

By OLIVIA KATRANDJIAN

Sept. 24, 2011

An "Increase Diversity" bake sale planned by a group of students in Berkley, Calif., in which the price of baked goods will depend on the buyer's gender and race is drawing cries of racism, which is just what the organizers say they wanted.

The bake sale, run by the Berkeley College Republicans, was created in reaction to SB 185, a bill currently being considered by Gov. Jerry Brown, which would authorize California public universities to consider race, gender, ethnicity, and national/geographic origin in the admissions process.

"The Berkeley College Republicans firmly believe measuring any admit's merit based on race is intrinsically racist," reads the description of the event on its Facebook page. "Our bake sale will be at the same time and location of a phone bank which will be making calls to urge Gov. Brown to sign the bill…The pricing structure of the baked goods is meant to be satirical, while urging students to think more critically about the implications of this policy."

The price of a baked good is $2 for white people, $1.50 if you're Asian, $1 for Latinos, 75 cents for African-Americans and 25 cents for Native Americans, the original Facebook event read. Women of all races get a discount of 25 cents.

According to the original event page, the pricing structure was put in place "to ensure the fairest distribution, and make sure that there are a DIVERSE population of races of students getting BCR's delicious baked goods."

?

"Hope to see you all there! If you don't come, you're a racist!" the original event page read.

The page has since been taken down and replaced with less controversial text.

Shawn Lewis, the president of the Berkeley College Republicans, planned the bake sale.

"The pricing structure is there to bring attention, to cause people to get a little upset," Lewis told ABC station KGO-TV in San Francisco. "But it's really there to cause people to think more critically about what this kind of policy would do in university admissions."

Lewis said several members who created the event on Facebook have been threatened or received nasty comments.

"It certainly is stirring emotions, and that's what we want," Lewis told KGO-TV. "But we certainly don't want people to think that we're making fun of racial issues or laughing at them because that's not the message of the bake sale."

But Campus Democrats president Anais LaVoie has asked for an apology.

"The way they made the statement, the words that they used, the fact that they humorized and mocked the struggles of people of color on this campus is very disgusting to me," LaVoie said.

One student looked at the situation more humorously.

"Being black, this whole event is even irritating for me because now everyone wants me to buy them cupcakes at a discount," Raymond Stone wrote on the Facebook event page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buncha fuckin retards.

I think its priceless how they feel they have the ability to wave the "this isn't rascist this is to bring attention to the afirmative action situation here in the united states" get out of jail free flag all the while insulting and disrespecting everyone else around them not toting an oh so casually carefree meticulously self conciously no less tha 3 no more than 5 unbuttoned abercrombian fitch smedium flanel faggety fashion ficaud.

It screams idiognorance from top to bottom end to end. These people are supposed to be high caliber accademicly charged old money republicanisms that end up running companys, corporations, judicial systems and most imprtantly countries and clearly show how inapt they are to having any ability of lateral thinking or respect for the human race moving forward within a structure designed for a relativley short term basis within perameteres that don't entirely revolve around there own born and bread structure of self setup gluttony.

My whole issue is not of snuffing out any form of questioning a societys on paper guidlines, asking questions pertaining to the why's of why things are or need to be, or even opposition to such mandates.

Its how these proven leaders of a republican mindstate are so outdated and within themselves unquestioned.

Why not get clever with there expieriment, why not do something like market the fuck out of there bake sale in a typical broad fashion in order to gain a crowd and generate and even keeled interest to all races, creeds, sexualitys or whatever other demographic needed for such an acid test as a medium to population in america. Then upon having such a gathering turn away 1 in every 8 or 9 caucasions and tell them sorry we cannot sell any goods to you because we've exceeded our white sales cap and proceed to pull a black person out of the line further back and sell them on. Or an asian, or a woman and on and on.

Why not even do something like taking the same basic ingrediants like say the components that make up THE ALL AMERICAN APPLE PIE and for each ethnicity create a similar food product for sale with lower/higher price tags for one single serving and shit, go to town on your biggatry if you feel the need. If your white you get a "slice of the pie" at a higher price than say if your black to getting some sort of similar priduct cheaper or whatever.

Would I agree with that route? Hell no but I'd respect what it is there trying to display and the manor in which they are doing it. Clever, relevtivly "non" offensive but more importantly outside the box.

The world never was, is or will be in a hands across america state and nor should it be. But it should be of one in which disrespect is not handed out with a birth certificate.

Shit if I were black I'd set up my own bake sale over there and get some statistics in order. I'd figure out all the little iundifferances that someone of a darker skin tne endures from a negative standpoint and relay that to baking an apple pie. Ie: say taking the percentage of blacks that end up in colleges on scholorship with the same ammount of whites with the same grades and bake a percentage of pies on that. Like thered be 100 pies of white decent as oppsed to like 27 pies of black. Then take the average ammount of black peoples anual salaries to whites of the same position with the same expierience and charge accordingly with the pies.

Dunno republignorance is really strange to watch on so many levels, yet on the same hand can make so much sense to me on others. Bottom line, yall need some new blood runnin yer clique cause otherwise yer just lookin dumb.

/end.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I was able to read an article about this topic. Please allow me to share it here, California's SB 185 is a California Senate Bill that would allow non-academic cultural elements to be considered in the university admissions process. The goal of SB 185 is to improve schooling by increasing diversity. Some civil rights advocates worry that it will also increase discrimination. Source of article: California political debate spawns racist bake sale.