I know you all love Banksy up in here...

HydrogenPeroxide

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, most people hate him for things like:

-re-using the same old boring, political cliches that we have all heard before.

-using stencils.

-having no respect and taking out things he shouldnt. this robbo thing wasnt the first and probably wont be the last.

and publishing what was essentially the same book 4 times!

• Like 1

I agree he shouldn't be taking out things but to be honest Robbo has hardly done bad out of this either, he may be well known in the UK (certainly within London) but now everyone knows his name, and I still stand by the fact that the Robbo piece was completely dissed before Banksy got there.

I don't care either way about the book publishing more power to him if people are dumb enough to buy the books then at least it means he doesnt have to work in some shitty call centre like half the UK population!! Wish I thought of it first!

T;7081983']Just look at the Amaze throwups that twist gets commissioned you think those were really done illegally. Come on Dog.

Are you sure TWIST gets the commission? AMAZE seems to have his own separate thing going on from what I can tell, but that wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

BTW, those fills are actually done with regular cans of Rusto. Someone who would know told me the really big ones take 8-10 hours to do.

T;7081983']What’s the most perfect non-traditional piece of art that you’ve seen that’s not currently hanging in a museum?

B: The most perfect piece of art I saw in recent times was during an anarchist demonstration in London a couple of years ago. Someone cut a strip of turf from the grass in front of Big Ben and put it on the head of the statue of Winston Churchill. Later, the demo turned into a riot, and photos of Winston with a grass Mohican were on the cover of every single British newspaper the next day. It was the most amazing bit of vandalism, because it was the perfect logo for this eco-punk movement that was trying to reclaim the streets, bring an end to global capitalism, and defend the right to sit in a park all day getting wasted on discount lager.

In case you haven't seen this, it's pretty funny-

3313680_6cbf20c73e.jpg

Once again, I respect this guy far more than 90% of the people on here talking shit about him. Especially when so-called "artists" don't know that busy artists have assistants...do you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too?

Then tell me more about how Banksy is a sellout fake ass nigga and how you're a graff writer that keeps it real while you listen to Lil Wayne and be a good little consumer. I have way more in common with Banksy than I do with most of you...I can relate to where he's coming from, whereas most of you seem to be faking it when it comes to having any idea to what vandalism is all about (hint- it's not about being cool).

But please, keep telling me that he's wrong and I'm wrong and how you're right so me and the people who know better can gladly shoot you down.

• Like 1

Banksy's doing it wrong...

10-year-old-female-banksy-20886-1234891745-2.jpg

P.S. Anyone that knocks Banksy for being one man or a team at this point, only cast the first stone if you've never owned a pair of Athletic shoes or clothing endorsed by a major athlete or some shit like Tommy Hilfinger or Polo back in the day.

I'm sure your boy Michael Jordan ain't sitting in a shop stitching up some J's right now with Ralph Lauren next to him talkin' 'bout "Looooong day making fresh gear by hand".

To reiterate and summarize. He's creating intellectual property at this point. He's grown to be the idea man, and the brand name, so be it.

Guest 50million
Are you sure TWIST gets the commission? AMAZE seems to have his own separate thing going on from what I can tell, but that wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

BTW, those fills are actually done with regular cans of Rusto. Someone who would know told me the really big ones take 8-10 hours to do.

In case you haven't seen this, it's pretty funny-

3313680_6cbf20c73e.jpg

Once again, I respect this guy far more than 90% of the people on here talking shit about him. Especially when so-called "artists" don't know that busy artists have assistants...do you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, too?

Then tell me more about how Banksy is a sellout fake ass nigga and how you're a graff writer that keeps it real while you listen to Lil Wayne and be a good little consumer. I have way more in common with Banksy than I do with most of you...I can relate to where he's coming from, whereas most of you seem to be faking it when it comes to having any idea to what vandalism is all about (hint- it's not about being cool).

But please, keep telling me that he's wrong and I'm wrong and how you're right so me and the people who know better can gladly shoot you down.

GIANT has a street team

the picture is NOT banksy buffing the robbo piece... the point is that the stencil is a man PUTTING UP the robbo piece. not going over it.

no, the point was he was taking out a piece of history.

it doesnt matter what his intentions were, at the end of the day he (or his bloody street team) plastered grey mulsh over a piece of london graffiti history.

whether he thought he was being intelligent in the way he did it or not doesnt matter

• Like 1

In that ilovegraffit.de interview, Robbo said about Banksy, "At first very angry that he had an ego big enough to wipe out a 25yr old piece of graffiti history."

Personally, I don't think that Robbo, or any of his supporters in this argument, really appreciates graffiti history as they seem to do. Am I the only one who realizes this?

At first, random toys painted over his piece, then Banksy cropped his piece, and finally, Robbo painted over whatever the shit was left of it. In the end, it was Robbo's big ego led to the piece's complete demise.

From my perspective, there's a really epic irony that comes with the 3 photo sequence image that's been floating around.

• Like 1

no, the point was he was taking out a piece of history.

it doesnt matter what his intentions were, at the end of the day he (or his bloody street team) plastered grey mulsh over a piece of london graffiti history.

whether he thought he was being intelligent in the way he did it or not doesnt matter

IT WAS ALREADY DISSED, CHRIST!

You people sure take illegal writing on someone else's property being written over pretty seriously :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Eh.

Personally, money has fuck all to with the whole Banksy phenomenon. The only thing that annoys me is being spoon fed the latest Banksy escapade every two minutes, seeing interviews in the papers every other day, celebrities raving about banksy and how cool his work is.. all that shit.

It's a solid truth that there's are plenty more writers, in London alone, putting in much more work, much better work, riskier work etc.. but getting nothing but prison sentences out of it.. (DPM etc..)

Now at the same time, you have some stencil artist, hanging onto the coat tails of graffiti when it's not even real graff, with middle class monkeys sat at breakfast fawning over how creative he is and what a rebel blah blah, when anyone who knows graff for real knows the majority of his work (when done by him even.. that team of minions shit is common knowledge) is mediocre. It's a mindfuck and after a while gets immensely annoying.

Yeah, make money. You'd be stupid not to, but to do it by turning your back on everything related to your alleged craft is a bit of a piss take no?

Over the pond you might not realise how much we get Banksy in the media here and how he's viewed, but after a point it's just some kind huge joke.

I bet the majority of you Banksy lovers in Yanksville hate on Shep Fairey right? Hypocritical to say the least.

Here.. this about sums it up.

http://hurtyoubad.com/?p=3980

Eh.

Personally, money has fuck all to with the whole Banksy phenomenon. The only thing that annoys me is being spoon fed the latest Banksy escapade every two minutes, seeing interviews in the papers every other day, celebrities raving about banksy and how cool his work is.. all that shit.

It's a solid truth that there's are plenty more writers, in London alone, putting in much more work, much better work, riskier work etc.. but getting nothing but prison sentences out of it.. (DPM etc..)

Now at the same time, you have some stencil artist, hanging onto the coat tails of graffiti when it's not even real graff, with middle class monkeys sat at breakfast fawning over how creative he is and what a rebel blah blah, when anyone who knows graff for real knows the majority of his work (when done by him even.. that team of minions shit is common knowledge) is mediocre. It's a mindfuck and after a while gets immensely annoying.

Yeah, make money. You'd be stupid not to, but to do it by turning your back on everything related to your alleged craft is a bit of a piss take no?

Over the pond you might not realise how much we get Banksy in the media here and how he's viewed, but after a point it's just some kind huge joke.

I bet the majority of you Banksy lovers in Yanksville hate on Shep Fairey right? Hypocritical to say the least.

Here.. this about sums it up.

http://hurtyoubad.com/?p=3980

Well said!

I am originally from Bristol (where Banksy started) and he does get a lot of love and has been supportive of the scene in the area, I know he is tight with local writers and put in a hell of a lot of work before he was so well known.

Of course the media is gonna jump on him, why wouldn't they it is the media, but I think people confuse the media portrayal with the real thing. Celebrities are always gonna jump on stuff like this so they come across as cool and in the know, hate on the celebrities being spoon fed these stories by their publicists don't hate the artist/s putting in work.

I don't think he has turned his back on graf, I think he has moved on from it, there is a difference, I highly doubt that anyone on here would turn down the chance to make major cash like he has.

• 4 months later...
So I hate to interupt and burst all you wanksy lovin fans bubbles, but all of you who think this clown is a one man show / genius / painter /street mystical character.... you are all sadly mistaken. Just so everyone can finally get up on the same page, and I REALLY DONT CARE that much but it sickens me to see this kind of talk i read about him to the point I cannot take it anymore.

Wanksy - began as a witty and crafty artist, and actually came from graffiti, interestingly within the last few years all photos of his earlier actual "banksy" pieces that where on the web( there was about 5 or 6 on some UK graff sites) have all mysteriously dissapeared from any google research, why? possibly to seperate his ties to actual graffiti for good? I dunno, anyway Wanksy had at one point been approached by a gallery who remains anonymous still today to create this "persona" of the all mighty wizard who sneaks into museums and single handedly revamps an entire museum in one night while no one noticed ( bullshit ) In the past 4 years Wanksy has been financially backed with a TEAM of artists all sitting in a room brain storming ideas like a company to come up with these witty new ideas and the art they all crank out , be it a painting, or a stencil, or a sculpture or a installation, interestingly are all witty, but lack any style that could possibly give away the fact that more then one person is doing all this work. There are videos on youtube with acters protraying news broadcasters happening onto the scene of apparent wanksy shinannigans where they walk up to "regular people" (actors)and ask for an opinion, they deliver their "line" and shoo off stage right. I only say this shit cuz once youre aware of all this horse shit, the more youll be disgusted that its all backed by the mighty dollar to put a false name up on a pedistal to sell artwork to some wealthy fucks. Once you see through the bulshit you realize it's just another David blane with a p.r. firm behind him getting him newspaper coverage whenever he (they) come out with something new.

Some of you may remeber last summer's nyc visit where he (they ) painted giant sketched rats on sides of 4 story buildings and the like, I believe there was 4 in total buildings that they acted as if they popped up overnight. BULLSHIT, these where done by an advertisement firm in the daytime took 3 days to complete and a month later where completely buffed off the buildings. Why you might ask? Ill tell you, MONEY. Any writer in nyc knows you cannot just get permission to do a 4 story building ( four of them in a week) unless youre ready to throw some money at the owners to advertise with the promise of completely buffing the face of the building a month later. Reality time, the oohs and ahhs get very ghey after a while and the sooner you realize there is no such thing as Santa the tooth fairey and Banksy, the better off you'll be when looking at real art in a museum. For all of you who want to continue to like the banksy guy( company) by all means do what you like, just be a bit more aware next time to look for the flaws.

Here's the proof. [/size]

3627766477_310be86d7f_o.png the mystical wanksy appearing to do final touches to a full blown oil painted MURAL he did in a museum in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT ( BULLSHIT ) with only himself and his marketing team *COUGH* I mean camera friend. please note, LEFT handed and NO other materials anywhere about, could even be painted SOMEWHERE ELSE?

3628578252_ea882b5a2f_o.png This time apearing to be chizzeling with his right hand, a left handed person would chizzel with his left had attempting any kind of detail work. This lighting even looks like natural sunlight as apposed to museum lighting.

and no one seen a thing? riiiiiiiight.

3628578242_bae6460c19_o.png again, the left handed wanksy using his right hand.

3628578258_5b727a3a67_o.pngthe left handed wanksy again using a right hand and doing more mysterious art in the wee hours of the night. interestingly work that a hired special effects team would do for an Indiana Jones movie set. Again styleless art, more based on a concept then a style. something a team would be able to accomplish where any artist who works this much would develop a style at some point of his career.

3628578244_e6dbff65e9_o.png

more right handed chizzeling, this time with a glove, possibly because the camera is close enough to destinguise characteristics to give away the secret?

3628578240_8f24388f25_o.pnganother close up of the left handed wanksy executing the mural with only a small pointed brush. L O L

the best part of all of this is just when his identity seems to be coming out by accident, he comes out with a film for festivals of him blatently showing his ( actors ) face like its no big deal doing some over the top avant guard behavior. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it's not even him but some art fag portraying an image to throw you sheep off. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jesus christ, if i didn't know any better, the size of your font and the amount of times you said Wanksy would make me thin you were trying harder to be heard and recognized than the actual Banksy himself.

you're a fool, and a good one at that.