I know you all love Banksy up in here...

HydrogenPeroxide

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

\ my understanding is that Robbo was a dick to Banksy, Banksy had beef, so he took it to the streets and painted over dude.

c'est nu, what do you know?

T;7072517']

I stop caring about most of your opinions when i learned your ages and understand that you actually are still trying to keep it real. Us older folk could give a fuck if banksy is keeping it real or not. I know he puts out more work than 90% of this board, so that being said i doubt any of you have a leg to stand on commenting on this shit.

you just got me psyched to paint even more with this comment. why should age be a factor? fuck that, im going to paint til i have as much hype as this guy and then; keep going.

////this post is drunk and irrelevent////

(this is not a jab at you poesia, i dig what ive seen you post)

T;7072584']

Fuck Robbo i didnt know who cat was before this diss banksy did, so tell him to thank dude. From What i have read, and what i myself have seen this guy is No legend. You guys need to watch how you throw that word around, Old school writer that has some good years and a Legend are night and day. So again is this your UK version of a Legend? Im not mad at dude but being old and painting for over 20 years ago being synonymous with being a legend is that really correct, cause shit i know alot of legends then. I dont even know this guy Robbo but you guys acting like he Dondi is annoying me, when he is more than likely just another random writer that happen to write in the 80's and early 90's but fell off and has no real significance on there scene. To me thats not a legend, just another writer in my book. I got hundreds of names for you that fit that category.

poesia, i gotta call you out on this shit.

i seem to remember you were talking the same stuff in that 10ft vs Artfags thread that got deleated a while back.

seriously, if your not from London and have no idea about our scene then what right do you have to chat shit about Robbo? Or anything that happens on this side of the pond?

Us guys are acting like he is Dondi? Well, news flash...he was (one of) our version of Dondi, or Iz or whoever.

Like others have said, dude was one of the first -if not the 1st- to go All City in London and to keep his status as king over the years.

whether you like his stuff or not, Robbo is one of those people that you simply do not go over. at all.

• Like 3

I have to agree with Poesia, I give props to Banksy for doing his thing and getting paid for it. I am originally from Bristol and I remember banksy stuff from before he was doing stencils and he did put in a lot of work and is respected by the vast majority of writers in the area. Personally I am not a huge fan of his newer stuff but it was nice growing up and catching new pieces around before all the hype blew it out of proportion.

While the council have said they wont remove his work, he is still painting illegally they just wont remove it once it is up however he will be arrested if caught in the act so to that is no different to people boming in my eyes.

He has put in a lot of work and while he may not be a graffiti artist he still deserves some respect for doign his thing and getting paid for it. I would rather be in his position than the other 99% of people that write graf/do street art.

I may have been out of the loop for a minute now. so what does this mean that REVS is not a writer anymore?

/hungover....

to call revs not a writer is to ignore the rollers and freedom tunnels. and that ain't right.

if ALL dude did was stickers, or posters, then thats a little more suspect. but he did far more. he also apoxy'd stuff to the sidewalk and welded shit and attached it to signs. he's more of that i think of when someone says "street art"

/equally hungover

I may have been out of the loop for a minute now. so what does this mean that REVS is not a writer anymore?

/hungover....

dude does mad rollers so he counts.whatever im not trying to start shit.i just dont think its in the same league...banksy definitely has some great stuff and lots of talent but i just get tired of seeing him constantly. but like whoever up their said, you cant deny the fact that the dude makes money.like lots of it.

I think people get too upset over shit OTHER people are doing. I'm not a huge Banksy fan either, but I can't hate the guy. I've seen some of his stuff before, and I've laughed. Some of his stuff I just find played out and stupid. He's pulled off some shit that most people wouldn't think of, and if they did, wouldn't be able to pull off.

The whole shit going over Robbo, probably fucked up. But on the other hand, not to take away from Robbo at all, but I had never heard of him beforehand.

I get tired of Banksy, and hearing all the new "Wacky, Crazy, Random Banksy Scheme!" but whatever, he's getting paid. Who gives a fuck? He's not taking money out of your pocket, and if you could sell some shitty played out canvases to "trendy" people who have money, you'd probably do the same.

to everyone that says Banksy isn't a writer he did plenty of freehand work and 'normal' graf at the beginning of his career he just moved on from it, he developed into his style he has now.

As for the Robbo thing, I know you shouldnt be going over something that was so old but come on it was a garbage piece, if it was done nowadays someone would have dissed it and called whoever wrote it a toy. Robbo is a proper writer he should expect things to get gone over it is what graf is. It is just temporary work, no one would have been so up in arms if the London borough council came along and buffed the wall.

Damn i was drunk last night to actually take time to respond in length and such anger. But im glad i did.

So he is the UK version of IZ which means he is a Legend although none of us have ever heard of him we will take your word for it.

Ill still stick to the point one old writer beefing with another older writer banksy that has painted long enough to be considered an old writer correct? I think Harvey said it earlier, isnt this just beef. So when 2 elders diss each other in paint why all the hate. Let them do there thing. I would compare this to Revs dissing iz out here, you think the whole world would start crying cause revs didnt do a piece over him but might have done some roller or something in his style. No i think most people would call it what it is, and thats beef or a diss. We might weigh in on it with our opinions like so and so did a better diss. But we wouldnt all cry about it like women that we cant believe he did that. I compare Banksy to a revs type of writer out in NY. I think we have seen banksy and revs do there thing but we have also seen them do what people consider graffiti back in the day.

And about the age thing im not trying to diss alot you younger writers, im just saying as you get old and been around you look at things alot differently. I would call alot o current writers sellouts before i would call Banksy one. But most of the younger writers jock these sellouts and diss banksy. I think you guys will learn on your own.

T;7073090']

So he is the UK version of IZ which means he is a Legend although none of us have ever heard of him we will take your word for it.

just gonna respond to this quickly nd have a go at the other stuff later.

I didn't expect many of you americans to have heard of Robbo. Why should you have? I mean London tends to keep itself to itself. London graffiti has only started promoting itself - we have only ever had 2 books come out and they both came out in 2009. As such a lot of our history is kept where it should be - in photo albums and shared between writers and passed down from generation to generation.

I probably havent heard of any of the legends poe speaks of, and again the same reasoning applies to me. Why should i be familiar with someone from a scene i have no links to or interest in?

The lesson is, just cos you dont know about it, and its not on the net doesnt mean it didnt happen!

• Like 1

sneak i agree. london is not a well represented city in books, online (aside from a few blogs) but is highly active. most of what i learnt was from other older folks telling me about robbo, drax, etc. and im no youngster myself.

i actualy met some old WRH member on holiday in italy. got some cool stories that i doubt made it into any book.

going over robbo is a nono. but its cool to see him make a comeback now.

i thought 10foot was doing a pretty good job of trashing all of banksys work.

i know theres more than a few fake banksy's sitting in some yuppies front room they got on ebay. :)

• Like 1

but come on it was a garbage piece, if it was done nowadays someone would have dissed it and called whoever wrote it a toy.

im all for poesia and everyone having their opinions but this is the dumbest shit ive ever heard. lots of shit that was super influential back in the day would be a "garbage piece" now. there is no logic in that statement.

• Like 1