What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 3 weeks later...

@Dark_Knight a lot of first time readers find it daunting because of how big the world is already built in the first chapter of the first book and the author plunks you smack dab into the intrigue and fills it in for you as you read on.  It also has a lot of characters like GoT.

Malazan has 2 authors (Eriksen and Esselmont) and from what I understand they came up with all of it gaming it out with DnD.  The main series is all written by Eriksen (10 books) and it’s completed, so no risk of catching up to the author like with GRRM and GoT.  As far as epic fantasy is concerned it’s up there with the best.  

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 4:29 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Been grinding this book for a while. Just found out who did all the underlining and notes in the margins… and how long ago they did it. 

FC7C0FDD-7612-4CF1-8C9D-A4DA9D73D947.jpeg

guys I’m Really not enjoying this one. Been a grind and I’m only at like page 220.

Have any of you finished it and Does it get better?

13 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

@KILZ FILLZi haven’t read it personally but I’ve only read negative reviews. Seems like it’s one of those books you’re told to like

Seems like you’re right. I took a look at GoodReads and came across this 

C4C580C5-A2C1-407D-A0C6-570E1FEE8E3C.thumb.jpeg.2597cd132eacbb8aff5268bfa9c31ac7.jpeg

Seems like a lot of people get to about the same point as me and ask the same questions lol

• 2 weeks later...

image.png.76a2ec2968df75abce620a3472b3f859.png

pretty good

That's when I stood up, told the best mate to sit down, shut up or f**k off. That the man in the coffin had a few things to say.'

Imagine you are dying with a secret. Something you've never had the courage to tell your friends and family. Or a last wish - a task you need carried out before you can rest in peace. Now imagine there's a man who can take care of all that, who has no respect for the living, who will do anything for the dead.

Bill Edgar is the Coffin Confessor - a one-of-a-kind professional, a man on a mission to make good on these last requests on behalf of his soon-to-be-deceased clients. And this is the extraordinary story of how he became that man.
Bill has been many things in this life- son of one of Australia's most notorious gangsters, homeless street-kid, maximum-security prisoner, hard man, family man, car thief, professional punching bag, philosopher, inventor, private investigator, victim of horrific childhood sexual abuse and an activist fighting to bring down the institutions that let it happen. A survivor.

As a little boy, he learned the hard way that society is full of people who fall through the cracks - who die without their stories being told. Now his life's work is to make sure his clients' voices are heard, and their last wishes delivered- the small-town grandfather who needs his tastefully decorated sex dungeon destroyed before the kids find it. The woman who endured an abusive marriage for decades before finding freedom. The outlaw biker who is afraid of nothing . . . except telling the world he is in love with another man. The dad who desperately needs to track down his estranged daughter so he can find a way to say he's sorry, with one final gift.

Confronting and confounding, heartwarming and heartbreaking, The Coffin Confessor is a compelling story of survival and redemption, of a life lived on the fringes of society, on both sides of the law - and what that can teach you about living your best life . . . and death.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 10:05 PM, Schnitzel said:

image.png.76a2ec2968df75abce620a3472b3f859.png

pretty good

That's when I stood up, told the best mate to sit down, shut up or f**k off. That the man in the coffin had a few things to say.'

Imagine you are dying with a secret. Something you've never had the courage to tell your friends and family. Or a last wish - a task you need carried out before you can rest in peace. Now imagine there's a man who can take care of all that, who has no respect for the living, who will do anything for the dead.

Bill Edgar is the Coffin Confessor - a one-of-a-kind professional, a man on a mission to make good on these last requests on behalf of his soon-to-be-deceased clients. And this is the extraordinary story of how he became that man.
Bill has been many things in this life- son of one of Australia's most notorious gangsters, homeless street-kid, maximum-security prisoner, hard man, family man, car thief, professional punching bag, philosopher, inventor, private investigator, victim of horrific childhood sexual abuse and an activist fighting to bring down the institutions that let it happen. A survivor.

As a little boy, he learned the hard way that society is full of people who fall through the cracks - who die without their stories being told. Now his life's work is to make sure his clients' voices are heard, and their last wishes delivered- the small-town grandfather who needs his tastefully decorated sex dungeon destroyed before the kids find it. The woman who endured an abusive marriage for decades before finding freedom. The outlaw biker who is afraid of nothing . . . except telling the world he is in love with another man. The dad who desperately needs to track down his estranged daughter so he can find a way to say he's sorry, with one final gift.

Confronting and confounding, heartwarming and heartbreaking, The Coffin Confessor is a compelling story of survival and redemption, of a life lived on the fringes of society, on both sides of the law - and what that can teach you about living your best life . . . and death.

Sounds good, fast paced, violent, page turner

On 4/17/2022 at 6:20 PM, Ko SprueOne said:

How to Be a Chicana Role Model

Good read. Stories written like a memoir. Full of smart humor. Many of you with creative careers or skill trade careers would relate. She describes the BS when people think that just because it's art, they must like doing it and so will do it for free or cheap.

A lot of typos. I guess that's the publisher's fault.

• Props 1

@metronome

Two books at the same time, wow, I've never tried that with exception to text books and 'own time' reading but even that's been a long time ago. I try to escape into and absorb the story I'm reading and I don't think I can do that with multiple books. Building scale models however, that's different. I'll have a few on the bench at the same time, LOL.

Never kindled yet but read an on-line only story just recently on FB. Also by Peter Sexton. I follow him on FB and he has a link to the story there only.

Edited by Ko SprueOne

• 3 weeks later...