What book are you reading? Part 20

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 4 weeks later...

If you like, southern gothic, (I had to look that up), then you'll like, Kind Nepenthe. Bad actors, victims, ghosts, drugs, ultra violence. It's similar to Alex Garland's, The Beach, but actually good. To be fair, The Tesseract, also by Alex Garland is good. And like that book Kind Nepenthe is three stories that collide eventually and violently.

I'm going to look up, William Gay books

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 5:23 PM, Ko SprueOne said:

Finished, Kind Nepenthe. A contemporary horror story set in the wooded mountains of rainy Humboldt County. 

Started, The Cabanatuan Prison Raid

Kind-Nepenthe_Cabanatua-Prison-Raid.jpg

Finished, The Cabanatuan Prison Raid

This book defines details of the activities more accurately than the movie, The Great Raid. Of course, it's a Hollywood movie, right

Next will be, The Eighth* Day

I think this is a teen book or something like that. Whatever, I'll get through it. The title interested me because there are eight days in a Burmese culture week

book_The-Eighth-Day.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/29/2023 at 6:56 PM, Ko SprueOne said:

Next will be, The Eighth* Day

I think this is a teen book or something like that. Whatever, I'll get through it. The title interested me because there are eight days in a Burmese culture week

book_The-Eighth-Day.jpg

Finished, The Eighth Day, Dianne K. Salerni. It is YA Fiction and I almost put it down but it was D&D enough to keep me interested. Also, interesting is that the author made an eighth day between Wednesday and Thursday which is also where Burma puts their eighth day. Actually they have two Wednesdays. The Wednesday after the regular Wednesday is a ‘dark’ Wednesday similar to how this story describes the eighth day as well 

Now starting a non fiction, Lexicon Devil, The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and The Germs. By Brendan Mullen with Don Bolles and Adam Parfrey.

Lexicon-Devil.thumb.jpg.ba5655ae88f876efc13516f0b263fb03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 5/5/2023 at 10:15 PM, fat ralphy said:

Met the author last month - dude is old as fuck.

I need to read more, make it a nightly ritual. 

image.jpg

Nightly may be good if it works in your schedule. I rarely* read at night after supper or before bed. Reading time for me is break time at work and waiting rooms/time.

*unless there is a few pages left in the book then I'll make the exception and just finish it.