What book are you reading? Part 20

1 hour ago, metronome said:

Finished reading it last night.  I read her book The Goldfinch years ago without really knowing who she was, and then a little while ago I listened to a podcast series about Bennington College and a bunch of the young writers that came out of that graduating class so I decided to give this one a shot.  Really good, like, really really good.  One of those things where she wrote a 10/10 on her first go and was never able to recapture it in her later stuff.  A lot of the characters are loosely based around people she went to school with and I found that interesting.  @Dark_Knight

Goldfinch was pretty good but secret history is incredible. It brought me down a dark academia rabbit hole for awhile, but nothing compared to it. I’m still hoping she comes out with a new book that will put me in a similar world. But she only releases a book every decade or so.

• Truth 1

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 9/8/2023 at 6:47 PM, KILZ FILLZ said:

Finished // Starting 

IMG_3505.jpeg

Celestine Prophecy is written like it’s for young adults. I’m still gonna finish this garbage tho. Worst part: i also have the sequel “the tenth prophecy” on my shelf. Why, oh why, did one of my mentors suggest these to me? Western spiritualism bullshit. My synopsis? “It’s like totally alllllll about the vibesssss mannnnnnn”

• LOL! 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also reading…

IMG_2666.jpeg

Looking like I have too much on my plate to actually start raising cattle in the spring, but still doing my best to learn and plan. Goal is probably three the first year and as many as five heads when it’s all dialed in. 

• Like 2
  • Props 2

2 hours ago, misteraven said:

Also reading…

IMG_2666.jpeg

Looking like I have too much on my plate to actually start raising cattle in the spring, but still doing my best to learn and plan. Goal is probably three the first year and as many as five heads when it’s all dialed in. 

If you are into books about raising and milking cattle, I highly recommend reading this one next.

00A6F335-6705-4C86-95A5-DD78E715CDFC.thumb.jpeg.e4a703bc4e03372098a97a4494fc8271.jpeg

Violet is a typical, down-on-her-luck millennial: mid-twenties, over-educated and drowning in debt, on the verge of moving into her parent’s basement. When a lifeline appears in the form of a very unconventional job in neighboring Cambric Creek, she has no choice but to grab at it with both hands. 

Morning Glory Milking Farm offers full-time hours, full benefits, and generous pay with no experience needed . . . there’s only one catch. The clientele is Grade A certified prime beef, with the manly, meaty endowments to match. Milking minotaurs isn’t something Violet ever considered as a career option, but she’s determined to turn the opportunity into a reversal of fortune.

When a stern, deep-voiced client begins to specially request her for his milking sessions, maintaining her professionalism and keeping him out of her dreams is easier said than done. Violet is resolved to make a dent in her student loans and afford name-brand orange juice, and a one-sided crush on an out-of-her-league minotaur is not a part of her plan—unless her feelings aren’t so one-sided after all.

Morning Glory Milking Farm is a short human/monster romance novel, featuring a high heat slow burn with a lot of heart, and a guaranteed HEA. CWs include: cock milking, non-human anatomy, size difference, and a lot of fluid. It is the first book in the Cambric Creek monster romance series, and can be read as a standalone.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/123852869-morning-glory-milking-farm

• LOL! 7

8 hours ago, misteraven said:

Also reading…

IMG_2666.jpeg

Are you going to put your beef on the Zuckerberg beer diet? 

1 hour ago, metronome said:

Are you going to put your beef on the Zuckerberg beer diet? 

Ha! There's more to it than that. Though grass fed is touted as healthier, it's largely because the grain fed shift is all big ag garbage. Sprayed with pesticides, little nutritional value etc. But reality is grain finished generally results in better tasting beef as grass fed cattle tends to be more lean and flavor is in the fat, which is why well marbled beef is generally classified Prime. 

This being said, a cheat to quality grain fed is to feed the cows the mash left over from brewing beer. I know someone that does that out here. Cows love it, it's generally free since breweries have to pay to get that stuff hauled away. 

But to answer your questions, I'm looking at the best solution available while taking into consideration everything from investment (time and money) to the happiness and health of the livestock and ultimately the best quality (taste) beef.

I'm also a fan of function stacking, which is a permaculture principle along the lines of one stone, two birds. Example is that I'd love to have a fair cow but I simply can't drink that much milk (as much as 5 gallons a day). So you can convert the milk to whey and feed them to pigs. Whey fed pigs are considered the tastiest on earth (coupled with the right breed), so if you have a fair cow, the option is to also raise a calf and build the herd or replace a beef cow in your rotation or raise a bunch of pigs and diversify the livestock, as well as pulling in a ton of raw milk. (could also use some for cheese).

• Like 1
  • Props 3

@misteraventhat is rad - moving toward self sufficiency in that production model.

I have a friend that raises grass fed in Sonoma and I agree with you regarding the finished product - grass fed always tends to be less flavorful and fatty.  

I have purchased cow shares a couple times and ultimately think its not as tasty as corn/grain fed. You are really on to something with that brewery waste grain - 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kavanagh begins his life patrolling the Wall. If he's lucky, if nothing goes wrong, he only has two years of this, 729 more nights. The best thing that can happen is that he survives and gets off the Wall and never has to spend another day of his life anywhere near it. He longs for this to be over; longs to be somewhere else. He will soon find out what Defenders do and who the Others are. Along with the rest of his squad, he will endure cold and fear day after day, night after night. But somewhere, in the dark cave of his mind, he thinks: wouldn't it be interesting if something did happen, if they came, if you had to fight for your life? John Lanchester's thrilling, hypnotic new novel is about why the young are right to hate the old. It's about a broken world you will recognise as your own--and about what might be found when all is lost.

image.png.47b53202b817e753e3122173c0497d9f.png 

https://issuu.com/faberandfaber/docs/the_wall_sampler

if you want to try it.

really liking it.

• Like 4

australian book we did in high school.

The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith is set in 19th century New South Wales and tells the ultimately tragic story of Jimmie, an Aboriginal man caught between his family and culture and white settler colonialism.

The story is written from the perspective of Jimmie Blacksmith, an Indigenous Australian man on a mission of revenge. The story is a fictionalised retelling of the life of the infamous Indigenous bushranger Jimmy Governor.

Keneally has said that were he to write the novel today he would not write 'from within a black consciousness'.[4]IMG_1035.jpg.ecc5d06c43bc1386454000bf2111b9ea.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...