The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are gonna post liquor in the beer thread at least post real liquor, not that "surrender monkey swill"

250px-Makers_Mark.jpg

sounds like youve never tried calvados. its apple brandy not brandy, and the good stuff is awesome.

and any beer lover should be able to appreciate alcohol in most forms, shit the only difference between beer and whisky is distillation...basically.

Damn y'all posted some tasty looking brews. I turned 21 recently and have been overwhelmed when I go into liquor stores. I hope you guys can steer me in the right direction. I enjoy so far almost everything. New belgium trippel and new castle being my favorites. What can you coniseurs suggest I drink tonight?

• Like 1

Sure, not those.

jk jk.

Ummm, I would suggest learning about different styles of ales and lagers:

ales

pale

ipa

porter

stout

belgians (tripel, dubble, quad, lambic, gueze, farmhouse)

etc.

lagers

pilsners

rauch

kolsch

schwarz

etc.

honestly, just start trying different beers. pick up a new six pack, or if your local shop has a mix n match sixer, do that. try having all porters one night, or stouts, you get the idea.

some people find it helpful to keep notes. just as far as learning how to describe beers, and what can be good in them. what flavors, textures and viscosities exist, etc.

welcome to a fun world.

• Like 1

What can you coniseurs suggest I drink tonight?

Read labels and find something remotely local ( <3 hours' drive?) and in line with the season. Don't skimp thinking it's all about getting smashed. Mix-and-match wherever you can or get some friends to go in on a bunch of different 6-packs and trade. Everyone's got a different palate so we're all going to tell you different things. Good beer is like good food: it shouldn't be cheap and quick.

agreed. beer is a massive world.

when i first stepped away from slamming keystones to drinking real beer i tried everything. initially i loved belgian stuff and hated hops, after many months of hard drinking real beer i figured out that i really love hops, the more bitter the better. everybody's palate is different. being overwhelmed at a beer shop should be a great feeling--knowing that you've got a bad ass adventure to try all you can.

just keep in mind that when you have a variety to drink in a night, don't start with the bitter stuff.

have fun. welcome to beer.

LEFT-HAND-FADE-TO-BLACK.bmp

left hand fade to black volume 3

pepper porter

i think i'm coming to the conclusion that i just don't really like porters. i remember hating the anchor steam porter.

big fan of stouts which may be the reason that this just doesn't do it for me

usually they are sweet. this actually wasn't so i liked that fact but it just tasted like a gross version of the milk stout. which i like btw

dscf4278k.jpg

coney island freaktoberfest

blood red beer. cool. smell uh gross. like a carbonated version of a v8 vegetable drink.

guessing that its colored by beets or something else red.

tastes at first like rancid strawberry soda

then just has a gross aftertaste. avoid at all costs.

besides my gross beers i'm enjoying my founders breakfast stout and will most likely buy a case to keep happy through the winter

I'm about hopped out but have been eyeing that Tricerahops for a minute now. The school I teach at is literally surrounded by hop fields and it got to the point during the harvest where I wanted nothing to do with anything remotely hoppy. And now that it's cold I'm back on the dark stuff. Photos forthcoming.

Fist: seen a little of Walking Man here and there. Just checked them out on Beer Advocate and it looks like everything is as good as you say. Goodbye paycheck.

Also, in honor of the day, Misfits and Pumking. Go.