The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only drama with DFH/Stones is their new freighting policy, everything has to be guaranteed cold freight from the time it is despatched - so that's cold truck, cold loading, cold container, then the reverse, the individual distribution has to be cold as well. Makes it so immense from a cost point of view, pretty much the only places that have it are people who have made the journey to see meet with them - or people going the sneak and getting a parallel.

* not sure how 'new' this policy really is, but most people have told me it's put a stop to them exporting to Aus.

first up thanks for the input so far guys. dfh, stones, anchor, sierra nevada and rogue will all be part of it (subject to the shipping problems). i realise that those are the mass production micro-brewers (we see the same irony in "craft" brewers over here too).

unfortunately if there is no distribution in australia im fucked so what ill try and do is find out which ones i have decent access to, not parrallel trading through some faggot with no scruples, and then find out what your picks would be.

also protester if you aren't a fan of witbier, then you need to try st bernardus wit, too fucking good. i wasnt that into them until i found this one. heavy hops with a gruit twist, solid beer.

i'd be willing to send beer to Australia. let me know

i had to drink japanese piss beer for 7 years so i know what its like not to have choices

drinking a $3 small can of guinness was considered gold to me

i readily have access to bells, founders, 3 floyds, dfh, stone, north coast, stiegl, coney island, rogue, goose island, etc

also i'd like to try something from terrapin so for those that have access to their beers

and want something from the midwest let me know. i'll buy it or trade.

I'm gonna go with a negative on the hoptimum. Had it on tap in Berkeley next to a pliny the elder. No thanks.

IP was on point with the notion that it was too sweet and abrasive with the hops. That's exactly what it was, coated the mouth and had no other hop profile other than annoying.

Fuck BA and everyone with there standard lacing and mouth bullshit. Tell me what the beer is and what it means to you, not what you think will get you points on a beer message board.

BA is great for getting general sense of a beer, but I suggest looking at the way a review is worded for a shitty beer with a good rating compared to a rare or fine beer with a good rating. The language alone suggests the validity of the review.

PRODUCT OF THE BLOCK WE RUNNIN THIZ SHIT OUT HERE N THE SIC SIDE SAN JO FUCK THOSE TOYZ DAT WRITE OFF JDOG HITS LIKE A GIRL U LIL FAGGITS HAD TO HAVE UR HOMIEZ WIT U WEN U JUMPED ME N WIT ALL THOSE PUNCHES THROWN I ONLY GOT 1 SCRATCH SORRY ASS BABYHANDZ NIGGAZ I AINT EVEN TRIPPIN I NO WERE UR MOMMA LIVEZ NOW FUCKBOI

:scrambled:

On another note, I had a fantastic time at Beer Revolution and the Trappist in Oakland.

Tentative list of tastings from California trip till now as follows:

Mikkeller Rauch Geek Breakfast

Linden St. Black Lager

I SPENT OVER 140 on beer between Ledger's Liqours and WF.

Tripel Karmeliet on tap

Houblon Chouffe on tap

Moonlight Toast on tap

Moonlight Death and Taxes on tap

Russian River Consecration on tap

Russian River Pliny the Elder on tap

Nogne Batch 100

Panil Barriquée

Cuvee de Ranke

Brooklyn Black Ops

Jester King Black Metal Stout

Bryggeriet Gudeløs on tap

Struise Black Albert Batch 0

Struise Tsjeeses

Struise Black Albert Batch 14

Port Older Viscosity

Mikkeller Red and White 2010

Deschutes Abyss 2010

Deschutes Abyss 2009

Deschutes Jubel Ale 2010 (Jan release)

Drakes Robusto on tap

and a few more I can't remember.

Blegh. I was drunk a lot of the time in CA.

• Like 1

Sierra Nevada Hoptimum got an A- from 258 reviews on beeradvocate.com. They are pretty spot on with the reviews. I'd say give it another go, especially with what, 10.6 abv or something??? That said, I'm rather partial to strong hops and high ABV lately.

Ehh, I am aware of Beer Advocate and I despise it.

That being said, I am a member of Ratebeer and actively rate beers there, mainly so I can keep a catalogue of what I have had and whether I enjoyed it or not.

The only problem I see with sites like that is that a lot of the time people will rate a beer based on what they think it should be, or what others have told them it should be, rather than just giving their own opinions on the beer. It seems like once something starts getting good reviews no one wants to go against the grain and be the naysayer. I don't have a problem with it.

tsjeeses is awesome. struise is rugged as fuck.

there are more, i just can't remember them.

It's a shame we couldn't catch up at the Trappist, or Beer Revolution. It was awesome, Rebecca remembered us from us being there the first three days they were open, nine months later. Fucking Awesome!

sorry for the bad quality (iphone) and for the fact that there is only one beer.

drunk a lot of good beer lately but dont keep the bottles like i do with spirits so this is all i can be bothered flicking.

ill gained tequila, not bad though

5420412605_7ede69433f.jpg

one of the best whiskies ive ever had, ridiculously good

5420410551_f7608f8ba1.jpg

agricole is like rum but distilled from pressed sugar canes, only real difference is a slightly more industrial taste, hard to explain.

5420409953_8b9b4db766.jpg

some pretty serious whisky, one of the peatiest in the world and cask strength at 54 percent, got to be in a certain mood to enjoy it.

5421017414_ec9551ca42.jpg

one of the best whiskys in the world by popular consensus and one of my favourites

5420408613_7b46e0831f.jpg

nice and soft with a hint of peak, good for bitch drinkers...and me.

5421016070_6eaf285fea.jpg

might post some beer photos next time in the beer thread.