Japan..any questions?

serum

^^Exactly. I almost became a gaijin hater when I was there. It got so bad that if I was on the same train car as some loud/rude/weird foreigners I would change cars so I wouldn't be associated with them.

That's not to say all foreigners were bad, it's just that most guys who move there want a Japanese wife, and that makes them very creepy to me.

Edit: And yeah, you can find some really weird shit there, and 90% of all salarymen are perverts, but it's mostly very civilized.

Sadly, I never got to go to fuji speedway.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

a lot of foreigners hate on other foreigners in tokyo. dunno why. the over-saturation of the english teaching market, western guys really agressively hitting on japanese girls in any club anywhere in the city, the fact that seeing other gaijins ruins your "pure" experience of japanese culture, all of them I think are factors.

having said that, and not trying to be a hater myself, there are some grade-a arseholes in tokyo. one of whom I used to work with, here's a short story about him:

(tl;dr warning)

mr.a, as I'll call him here, was a 48 year old retired naval captain, now a stockbroker. he'd been married twice, once to a russian girl 20 years younger than him that had disappeared when she found out she couldn't get a green card for some reason, and a japanese woman nearer his age who left him because he didn't want kids.

so anyway, mr.a, invited me and a bunch of other co-workers to go out in shibuya. we meet him outside his house, he's already drunk. he tells us it's a short distance to where we're going. on the way there, he gets his dick out and starts pissing on the street, at like 10pm, but he's still walking whilst in mid-piss. so down the street you can see the arch of piss that's covering people's houses, shop fronts, etc.

so we get to the spot, it's gas panic, the shittiest possible place you can go in shibuya. but it doesn't have a cover charge so that's where he wants to take us. on the way up the stairs he vomits, which the staff see so they don't let him. so the rest of us are coralled into this horrible bar, the staff insist you have a drink in your hands at all times and have little torches to check you're just holding an empty bottle. classy.

about 30 minutes late mr. a walks in, appearing slightly more sober. at a table there's a some gaijin guy and his girl, who's probably about 20. mr. a walks up to her, gets his dick out again, and bear in mind this is like a 50 year old man, starts talking about how he can fuck her better than any other guy at the bar. her man picks up a chair and is about to throw it at mr.a when the bouncer brakes it up. I left at this point.

I think it also has to do with who you work with. I worked with mostly Japanese people, the few foreigners I worked with had either been there for a while and were there for work, or were only there for about a month and always traveled for work. I developed Japanese manners and Americans still make me cringe sometimes even though I've been here for two years now.

• 2 weeks later...
I walked in that bar, stayed long enough to order a drink and left to finish it on the street.

no shit, so bad, they give u a cup to poor your beer in before you leave.

in tokyo atm, been all around japan, def reccomend the khaosan chain hostels, they are dope!

besides plane ticket, $60-$100/night for hotel

$20-30 for transportation/day (within the city)

cultural things like temples are free to $6

food could be on average $10-40/meal

if you travel from tokyo to say osaka it would be from $80-$130 by bus/train one way.

from there factor in drinking, clubs, onsen, cool shit etc

so i'd say comfortably $100/day would be good but I always bring more just in case.

on your own you're more likely to get a bit overwhelmed with the language and

where to go so you might spend alot where as if you meet up with someone to show you

around or give you a place to stay it could be cheaper

I think it also has to do with who you work with. I worked with mostly Japanese people, the few foreigners I worked with had either been there for a while and were there for work, or were only there for about a month and always traveled for work. I developed Japanese manners and Americans still make me cringe sometimes even though I've been here for two years now.

:rolleyes:

besides plane ticket, $60-$100/night for hotel

$20-30 for transportation/day (within the city)

cultural things like temples are free to $6

food could be on average $10-40/meal

if you travel from tokyo to say osaka it would be from $80-$130 by bus/train one way.

from there factor in drinking, clubs, onsen, cool shit etc

so i'd say comfortably $100/day would be good but I always bring more just in case.

on your own you're more likely to get a bit overwhelmed with the language and

where to go so you might spend alot where as if you meet up with someone to show you

around or give you a place to stay it could be cheaper

Gotcha, sounds a bit pricey but im sure itd be worth it.

How could one go about finding someone to buddy up with, is there any type of travel forum or program that could assist me with this?

Is there any form of a Japanese Brothel?

I don't really think you'll need 20-30 for trans in the city daily as long as you don't take a taxi everywhere and use your legs. Most subway rides can be walked around downtown Tokyo.

If you're at a busy train station, I would accidentally press the child button so it's half the price. It is like a 500 dollar fine if you get caught, but I've been caught before and played the ignorant tourist card and just had to pay for a normal price ticket. One time I bought the wrong fare and had to use the adjustment machine, but it jammed in it so I had to go to the window, but the guy only charged me the difference still using the child price.

Basically, if you have a good sense of direction and like walking, I'd avoid taxis and subways as much as possible.

100 per day per person is definitely a good idea.

Edit:

http://www.gaijinpot.com/

I never really used this site, but it's pretty popular

a lot of foreigners hate on other foreigners in tokyo. dunno why. the over-saturation of the english teaching market, western guys really agressively hitting on japanese girls in any club anywhere in the city, the fact that seeing other gaijins ruins your "pure" experience of japanese culture, all of them I think are factors.

having said that, and not trying to be a hater myself, there are some grade-a arseholes in tokyo. one of whom I used to work with, here's a short story about him:

(tl;dr warning)

mr.a, as I'll call him here, was a 48 year old retired naval captain, now a stockbroker. he'd been married twice, once to a russian girl 20 years younger than him that had disappeared when she found out she couldn't get a green card for some reason, and a japanese woman nearer his age who left him because he didn't want kids.

so anyway, mr.a, invited me and a bunch of other co-workers to go out in shibuya. we meet him outside his house, he's already drunk. he tells us it's a short distance to where we're going. on the way there, he gets his dick out and starts pissing on the street, at like 10pm, but he's still walking whilst in mid-piss. so down the street you can see the arch of piss that's covering people's houses, shop fronts, etc.

so we get to the spot, it's gas panic, the shittiest possible place you can go in shibuya. but it doesn't have a cover charge so that's where he wants to take us. on the way up the stairs he vomits, which the staff see so they don't let him. so the rest of us are coralled into this horrible bar, the staff insist you have a drink in your hands at all times and have little torches to check you're just holding an empty bottle. classy.

about 30 minutes late mr. a walks in, appearing slightly more sober. at a table there's a some gaijin guy and his girl, who's probably about 20. mr. a walks up to her, gets his dick out again, and bear in mind this is like a 50 year old man, starts talking about how he can fuck her better than any other guy at the bar. her man picks up a chair and is about to throw it at mr.a when the bouncer brakes it up. I left at this point.

There are people like this in Korea as well.

Like anywhere, it is all about who you surround yourself with.

But sometimes you just end up in a bad situation with a drunk lunatic.

As for the hating on other foreigners.

That shit is pure elitist cornball shit.

It reflects nothing but a weak hipster attitude like "Oh yeah, I was in Japan before it went mainstream, guy. I have Japan on vinyl, bro"

People try to do it in Korea too.

Manners and effort to participate in culture are one thing.

Being a dickhead about it is another.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm not dead if you were referring to me.

fukushima is basically the middle of nowhere and sendai is the most populated area

it has clubs and graffiti it was a nice place to visit from what i remember

i lived in iwaki city in fukushima prefecture drawing anime its like 20 minutes south of sendai

the coast was beautiful but i hated the people there. they didnt like foreigners all that much

japanese rednecks/country bumpkins. i was happy to get out of the area.

I made a thread where I was going to write about my experiences but idiots just posted photos of chicks with hairy chests. I am fine but a lot of shit is fucked up around town. One of the buildings that I work at got hit pretty bad and my staff saved some kids. I got drunk until the trains started and then helped out people who were stranded at my station with pillows and blankets from my house. These aftershocks are pretty strong.

the cost of living is really subject to the person.

but the current rate of full time english teacher is $2500/month

this used to be a high amount in the 1980's like an equivalent exchange rate of say $5,000/month

the middlemen (recruiters) have been trying to lower this rate for awhile now.

irregardless, you will see lower or higher rates all over the place and you should be able to make due with this salary.

where you live is up to you. most choose tokyo. alot of opportunities, a greater chance at a job paying 3,000- 5,000/ month,

alot english speaking japanese, art culture is at its prime here. but you will have to pay for it.

atleast until you can gather knowledge, network and find those spots close to the city yet are a steal interms of rent.

rent can be $500-$3500 for a studio/1 bedroom. again you have to network meet people at bars, look in gaijin papers,

people that are returning home can sell you all their shit with a car and a house if you are at the right place at the right time.

school year begins in April and ends in Februaury

so now in march is the time to be hired so the best time to go to japan for a job would be February,

get your resume out there and be able to survive until April. private schools, conversation schools etc hire

through out the year but again March would be the best month to increase your pick of the litter.

i'll cover osaka later

• Like 1

http://www.gaijinpot.com/

here is a site that has apartments and job ads

i suggest you subscribe to their weekly job mailer which will keep you up to date with who is advertising

what the wages are and where. but remember to get a decent job you will have to go to japan first

then apply. most places will not hire you from overseas. a few will but they usually arent the best places

to work in the first place. also your salary tends to go towards their recruitment

http://www.us.emb-japan.go.jp/JET/

jet program

this is a govt sponsored exchange. its the safest way to get a job from usa. they find you a home but tend to put you wherever they need a teacher which could very well be in the middle of nowhere

but the pay is good and there are alot of benefits.