<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
any good anti-virus out there im sure i have one ion my other computer it doesnt allow me to go online.

Sorry I didn't give you a solid answer/explanation earlier, I was busy doing real life computer repair.

Your going to have to get rid of the malware that's on the computer before installing any antivirus software. Antivirus software is designed to keep you from getting malware not remove it. This latest string of fake security scareware shit can be a bit difficult to remove but try this....

Download combofix.exe and tdsskiller on your working computer and copy it to a flash drive. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/combofix and just Google tdsskiller (I'm on my phone and I don't feel like looking it up.

Boot the fucked up computer to safemode with networking (smash F8 while its booting)

extract and run tdsskiller

Reboot into safe-mode

run combofix

If that works install Avg (http://free.avg.com) or Avast or my personal Favorite Microsoft Security Essentials. They all do the same shit about equally well. The only downside to MSE being it doesn't install well on cracked/bootleg operating systems.

If the the virus is still there let me know and we'll try something else.

• Like 1

so im running windows 7 64 bit and for some reason adobe premiere pro and photoshop will no longer open, when i go to task manager it will say they are running but a window wont pop up... what the shit is up with this? its happened before and i reinstalled software and everything was fine, im just tryin not to reinstall cs5.5 master again cause it takes forever.

any help would be greatly appreciated...

-PB

thanks.

i did that but i can only find the option to repair from an earlier version of windows which the options they give me are vista and dont work.

is there a way to open a running program from the task manager or some other back alley route?

i gotta spread rep.

***and before i tried this photoshop decided to open and after effects would open just fine as well???

• 3 weeks later...

received a free hp cpu last week, person who gave it to me said it had the blue

screen of death and never messed with it again.

i plugged it up and it was a tiny bit slow but ran fine after the initial boot up. i

did all the updates(it needed aloooot) and all seems well. i still went through

and deleted all programs that i wont use or if it looked odd. after cleaning out the

programs and running Ccleaner it seems to work just fine, and it's pretty quick too.

just ran a malwarebytes full scan on it now and it didn't find anything. i deleted the

norton antivirus completely because 1) it was not current 2) i like to run a different

antivirus, and i will put it on before i put it online.

where are some other places i can look for shit that needs to be wiped out? i don't really want to do a full hard drive wipe if i dont have to...

here are some quick specs:

500gb hard drive

intel core 2 duo processor

5gb of memory

home vista premium

not bad for a free cpu, but since i am on the computer/internet at work all day

i dont even have a comp/net at home. for now i am just going to use it to store

all my shit i have put on my work computer and if i get some internets at my apt

i will have a pretty decent cpu

What is your setup running? xp/vista/win7?

Do you know how much space is being used currently?

I think around 60GB should be average anything over 100GB you might have to dig deeper.

Start there, maybe its pretty clean as is.

Also, if you type "msconfig" in the command prompt you will go to "Sytem Configuration." Open the tab Startup and disable anything you find fishy or dont need. This might make your startup slightly faster depending on what you disable.

Does anyone here have any knowledge on unlocking/rooting phones? My sister gave me her Motorola Droid 2 Global (verizon) and I have T-Mobile. The D2 global is both a GSM and CDMA phone, so I know it will work, however reading some of the droid forums, it seems that techy languages they use are about 14 nerd levels above my understanding.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/96381-droid-2-global-root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial.html

cant help with andriod unlocking but the above link looks pretty easy to follow.

btw did more skimming, please read post # 370 on this thread

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/96381-droid-2-global-root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial-37.html#post1888683

looks like you need to do 2 unlocks to get it to work on Tmoblie and even then you are restricted to 2g edge data speeds and not 3g/4g that Verizon offers

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/96381-droid-2-global-root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial.html

cant help with andriod unlocking but the above link looks pretty easy to follow.

btw did more skimming, please read post # 370 on this thread

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global-hacks/96381-droid-2-global-root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial-37.html#post1888683

looks like you need to do 2 unlocks to get it to work on Tmoblie and even then you are restricted to 2g edge data speeds and not 3g/4g that Verizon offers

Must spread rep.. I'll get you props when I'm able to.

That is the same forum I found as well. I'm used to 2g with my jailbroken iphone. My main concern is bricking the phone.. and from what I gather from another forum, it very well could happen.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1345071

i just downloaded season 4-6 of the sopranos but the audio is slightly too fast. anyway to slow it down, its perfect quality otherwise

In VLC you can adjust the audio sync in the extended settings panel. It takes some trial and error but usually it works after a few attempts.

If you don't have VLC (and you should) it's over here.

• 2 weeks later...

http://support.lexmark.com/index?locale=en&page=product&productCode=LEXMARK_X5410&segment=SUPPORT&userlocale=EN_US&frompage=null#2

If that link doesn't work just search support.Lexmark.com for your printer. Doesn't look like they have a win7 driver but the xp64 driver will probably work.

I use devid.info for hard to find drivers....... just gotta copy and paste the hardware id.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to embark on a serious archive project in, I guess you'd say, a knee jerk reaction to megaupload being taken down. I have made 4.5 TB of physical backup of my files(external hard drives stacked in a closet. No RAID or anything remotely sophisticated) but would like a suggestion of where to store it online at a reasonable cost for the long haul. Maybe tomorrow, maybe in 3 years. Seedbox? Cloud? Burn to DVD? Suggestions?

I have been on this for a while but am now interested in redundancy. - computerilliterateoner

• 1 month later...