Rita Roars In

!@#$%

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rediculousness... I am at school in Massachussetts, but I am from Houston. All of my family and friends are

scrambling right now to figure out their shit. Half are splittin for San antonio or laredo, but some are goin to

Dallas, or staying in Houston. Its weird to not be able to get in contact with family and friends at home.

I remember telling seldoon good luck on his trip to NO to find out about his fam, and I remember thinking how

fucked up it would be for me in that situation, and here we are. This is gonna have such large implications. Fuck

whatcha heard bout gas price rise cus of Katrina. Houston is the largest source of knowledge and industry

in petroleum and oil imoprt into the US. Expect some crazy shit to happen.

This entire hurricane season has been so awesome in its scope of power. My mom and stepdad were in cancuun

on vacation when it was struck by a category four earlier in the season. As I was leaving for school, Katrina

was up and coming. Then this occurs. Crazy shit.

Mad fucked up and worried

yes, but bush most definitely knows he cannot fuck this one up too.

i don't care for texas either, but it sucks for the people that live there.

Intense hurricane cycle predicted

Scientists fear 'a catastrophe waiting to happen'

Friday, July 20, 2001

Although government scientists still predict a mild hurricane season in the Atlantic Ocean this summer, they said today a new intense hurricane cycle has started that is "a catastrophe waiting to happen."

Scientists are tracking a warming of North Atlantic sea surface temperatures and a decrease in vertical wind shear, a natural ocean cycle called the Atlantic Multidecadal Mode that helps cause atmospheric changes that influence the development of hurricanes.

"The data suggest that we are in the beginning of a warm Atlantic phase," said Alberto M. Mestas-Nunez, a physical oceanographer at the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration's marine institute at the University of Miami.

"And thus an active Atlantic hurricane era may be under way, similar to that last seen from the late 1920s to the late 1960s."

Stanley Goldenberg, a research meteorologist at oceanographic agency's Hurricane Research Division, put it in starker terms: "Every person should take every hurricane season seriously, but we're watching a catastrophe waiting to happen."

From the Houston Chronicle's blog on Rita. Read the article re: the "worst-case scenario:"

The current track for Rita is just about as bad as you could imagine for the Houston-Galveston area.

Unless the storm turns south or north in the next 24 to 48 hours we are set up for a truly horrific event. I am not going to sugar-coast this, my friends. If the storm comes ashore as forecast, it would essentially be the worst-case scenario described here.

As a Houston resident and property owner, I am truly mortified right now. If you are under a mandatory evacuation order, you should heed it.

This sucks. I lived in Houston for 22 years. While previously I've had to ditch my car on the median of Westheimer to wade through waist-deep water (2001), this will likely be much worse.

At least people are leaving:

306.jpg

That's I-10 at 1:30 a.m., central time. People are getting the f' out except for those three cars heading the wrong direction.

I just read that they re-routed all Houston freeways so they're only going outbound - both sides. Hopefully that'll clear some of the congestion. I heard last night that it took someone 10 hours to get from Houston to Austin, when that trip normally takes 2.5 hours.

This is fucked up.

I hope all you guys make it through this.

And that the fuel supply don't get any more fucked up.

Ya all should move to Australia 'the lucky country'.

We never have this sorta shit happen here (well not in Perth anyway).

Even though sometimes I wish it did so that then I would have coastal land.

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/cameras/ -- Houston-area traffic cameras.

Wifey just sent me this email:

theyre showing the traffic in houston on the national news.

one lady is talking about how she just turned around b/c she left her house 8 hours ago and had gone TEN MILES. she gave up and decided that she was just going to risk staying at home.

holy crap.

houstonhighway.jpg

downgraded to category four

Hurricane Rita, now a category 4 storm as the storm, has featured a slow rise in pressure. It continues to be a very dangerous storm, however.

Rita is forecast to continue on a west-northwestward track through the Gulf of Mexico over the next 8-12 hours. A turn toward the northwest is anticipated Friday.

If there is any good news at this point, it is the fact that the hurricane probably reached its peak intensity overnight. Rita may now be entraining some drier mid-level air from over the western Gulf of Mexico and Texas into its western side, causing the slight decrease in wind speed and increase in pressure.

Rita should still make landfall as a large, intense, major hurricane with impacts extending well away from the center. Hurricane force winds extend 75 miles away from the center and tropical storm force winds extend 160 miles from the center. Landfall is possible early Saturday along the Texas or southwest Louisiana coast.

map_spectrop06_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

map_spectrop04_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

I just wanna say good luck to all my family and friends at home in Houston. PMB, Fatalist, and from

what it seemed like Tease, good luck you guys. Ive lived in texas all my life, and mostly in our around

Houston. I am having a really hard time from being up here in the north and catching only snippets.

I to some extent wish i were home just to make sure my family is ok.

I think one of the brighter ideas is what I heard from my father this morning. He said they are headin

out southbond first then go in east and head north. It seems like that might be a faster way to get north

than taking 45 north or I10 east. Just thought Id put that out there for those that might be tryin to

figure how to get out. If one were to head to Laredo, they would probably only be facing a tropical

storm by the time it reaches there.

Stay safe everyone