Rita Roars In

!@#$%

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by ARCEL@Sep 22 2005, 09:55 PM

hey villain, how much gas do dirt bikes use compared to modern motorcycles? in any case, i wouldn't want to ride that bike on the freeway

Well I'm not really sure. I haven't ridden a bike in a good many years now.... And back then I wasn't necessarily concerned about gas prices either. I'm pretty sure that even a harley gets better miles to the gallon than say a Prius. They are economical vehicles.

Originally posted by fermentor666+Sep 22 2005, 08:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fermentor666 - Sep 22 2005, 08:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I was talking to my father today and told him how I can't remember anything on this scale ever happening, and he told me he can't either. He's got a good few decades on me. Something is seriously wrong with our environment and I think this is just the beginning.

<!--QuoteBegin-saraday@Sep 22 2005, 10:35 PM

well, it's official.. the storm is supposed to hit about 90 miles W of me (putting where i live in the most dangerous quadrant of the storm).. i'm evacuating around midnight tonight. i hope i'm not in the car for 17 hours.

wish me and my family luck.

Good luck, baby, be safe.

[/b]

OTAY SCHMOOPY!!!!

lollercopter

LOL INTERNETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE INTERNETS WILL SAYVE ME FROM TEH EEEERIE STORM AND ALL OF IT'S SPAWNING TORNADOES AND WIND AND PINECONES SLAMMING THROUGH MY WINDOWS..

hopefully one of the 15 pine trees around my house won't fall on us.

that'd be greeeeeeeeeatttttttttttttttttttt.

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) -- A bus caught fire and exploded early Friday on a crowded Texas interstate, killing as many as 20 people who were fleeing ahead of Hurricane Rita.

The bus, carrying about 45 elderly evacuees, burst into flames on Interstate 45 south of Dallas. It pulled over and people were getting off when a series of explosions ripped through the bus.

Dallas County Sheriff's Sgt. Don Peritz said 14 or 15 people got off the bus and said as many as 20 people may have died.

Peritz said the fire was believed to have started in the bus's brake system and may have caused oxygen canisters on the bus to explode.

Authorities blocked all lanes of the interstate, complicating the already grueling exodus from the Texas coast.........

At 8 a.m. ET, Rita was centered about 260 miles (418 kilometers) southeast of Galveston, Texas, and 220 miles (354 kilometers) south-southeast of Cameron, Louisiana. It was moving to the northwest at 9 mph (14 kph).

The storm had maximum sustained winds of 140 mph (225 kph).

If motorists are still stuck in their cars when the storm hits, they could be in a dangerous situation, Ed Rappaport, the hurricane center's deputy director, said Friday.

"The hope, of course, is that this storm is off to the right as far as they're concerned," said of Houston drivers. But "that just moves the problem to another community."

Gas stations along some of the major roads out of Houston and Beaumont, to the east, were running low on gas, said Steven McCraw, director of the governor's division of emergency management.

The two National Guard tanker trucks, each carrying 5,000 gallons of gas, were sent at daybreak Friday to help thousands of people who had run low on gas while trying to evacuate, said Chief Master Sgt. Gonda Moncada, spokeswoman for the national guard.

Because nozzles on the military vehicles were too large to provide fuel to civilian vehicles, 1-inch nozzles had to be flown in, she said.

Moncada said that 10,000 gallons of gas might not be enough to help everyone who needs it.

Some Houston residents tried variousroutes out of the city only to become so flustered they returned home and thought about riding out the storm. Other Texans on gridlocked roads pushed their cars to help conserve fuel.

Officials said traffic would be allowed to drive north for 100 miles in the southbound lanes of Interstate 45, the major route to Dallas.

With the hurricane generating winds of tropical storm force extending 205 miles (335 kilometers) from the center, some areas in Louisiana already were feeling Rita's outer bands. (Watch a report on the science behind monster storms -- 3:50)

New flood fears for New Orleans

Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco urged residents in the state's coastal parishes to immediately evacuate northward.

"As you know, Rita took a turn to the east last night and southwest Louisiana is now in danger," she said Thursday. "I'm urging everyone to evacuate now."

In New Orleans, which was recently pronounced "basically dry" by the Army Corps of Engineers, there were fears of impending heavy rain.

"There is going to be rainfall potential of 3 to 5 inches [7.6 to 12.7 centimeters] over the next 12 to 24 hours," Rappaport said Thursday afternoon.

The corps was working to shore up the city's fragile series of earthen levees and concrete flood walls. Brig. Gen. Bruce A. Berwick said he expected the repairs to hold and anticipated flooding of between 2 and 4 feet (0.7 and 1.3 meters).

Several refineries, which process about 3 million barrels of oil each day, could be threatened by Rita. Some energy analysts predict that disruption from the storm could trigger a surge in gas prices. (Watch Rita's threat to refineries -- 2:43)

Oil prices dropped to below $66 a barrel on Friday after Rita lost some of its intensity -- at its peak, it was a Category 5 storm with 175 mph winds.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WEATHER/09/23/rita/index.html

Dammit man this hurricane is fucking fuastrating. Everyone is scambling for their damn lives, knowing that there is nowhere to go. So practically we're just waiting for God knows whats going to happen. Waiting and waiting and fucking waiting, YEAH I'M FRUSTRATED!

well on the brightside at least it gives the evacuees time to get out of here!