The Skateboard Thread

SPORTO

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have a question for those of you that are decent at skateboarding. I used to skate pretty well back in my day, and 360 flips were my favorite shit. i was never super consistent with them, but when i did a good one i was stoked.

Anyways, I was wondering if there was some special trick to doing the super smooth looking ones, where the dude doesn't even look like they're trying and catch it all smooth on their front foot. I always used to have to really put some scooping effort into them, and all the flicks I have of me doing them my feet are like way the fuck kicked out. I could never kick them real smooth and have the board flip around correctly. I understand that it's mostly in the back foot, but I have a hard time getting the full 360 without using my front foot, too.

I can teach impossibles in exchange. I'd been rocking those since like 1992.

its all in the scoop.

i also learned to lean into/swing into the way the board is turning.

like if youre regular footed.

throw your left shoulder into the rotation.

it will help make you jump sorta diagnal, the same direction the board is spinning/fipping.

make sense?

here's janoski's way. its all in the scoop.

http://www.skateboarding.com/skate/video/0,23430,1125203-965150,00.html

Yeah, when I did them down stairs and whatnot, I'd hardly do much at all with my feet. It just kinda floated and were probably easier to land for me. I don't get how people do them stationary and shit. My 360 flips always seemed to ride about a foot to the side and looked mad gay from a frontwards filming angle. I always felt like i had to put way too much effort into them. Pros make shit look so easy.

I just want to relearn them and have them look sweet. I'd just skate and do 360 flips all day long.

there are a few tricks that in my opnion make a "[real] good skater"

360 flips

fs flips

a good switch flip

bs tails

blunt slides

basically,

if i had to choose the tricks i can always do, and not care about anything else.

it would be those tricks.

cause all those tricks i have the worst time doing...

meaning, a good skater is someone who can do those

tricks with ease, cause i cant.

for 360 flips, i find that a good pop is needed... if ur scooping too much, it's gonna become a pressure

flip. in the videos also, all the ppl seem to have their foot in the middle or even more up when doing them. now, i'm not 6 feet tall or anything, but for me to get a good rotation going, my foot is in the lower half of the board... it helps me at least

i would like if some1 could teach me inward heels. for the love of me, i can not figure that shit out. i got the leg motion is more of a "criss cross" then spread motion, but sheezes, the board just keeps slapping my front foot/leg w/ absolute no correct motion in sight...

there are a few tricks that in my opnion make a "[real] good skater"

360 flips

fs flips

a good switch flip

bs tails

blunt slides

basically,

if i had to choose the tricks i can always do, and not care about anything else.

it would be those tricks.

cause all those tricks i have the worst time doing...

meaning, a good skater is someone who can do those

tricks with ease, cause i cant.

I think bs flips are so underrated. bs flips look so much better / such a sicker trick than fs. Check Gino Iannucis' out.

i agree.

i love bs flips.

since spinning and kicking go in opposite directions,

its an easier trick to learn.

fs flips are harder cause your feet get in the way.

doing them properly like mike carroll,

takes a lot of effort.

when i do them, i end up kickflipping, catching,

then pivoting the rest of the way on the ground...ugly most of the time.

i would like if some1 could teach me inward heels. for the love of me, i can not figure that shit out. i got the leg motion is more of a "criss cross" then spread motion, but sheezes, the board just keeps slapping my front foot/leg w/ absolute no correct motion in sight...

I do them off my nose ... for some reason they pop and flip way better. Kind of a fucked up trick.

As for the 360 flip talk .... I scoop them more up things (euro gaps, etc) and pop them more down things(stairs, blocks, etc) You have to adapt all tricks to the obstacle you are approaching. Flat ground practice will only get you so far. :D

the only people i've seen that can do them with (relative) ease are pretty gangly. if you're more of a stocky build you're going to have a prick of a time trying to get them to work. you need those spaghetti legs.

my suggestion is to learn backside heelflips first. at least then you'll have some idea of how to make the board flip in that direction

I was always pretty good at inward heelflips/hardflips, any of those flip tricks where the board just kinda flops into the spin. Nollie is a different story, but that's another subject.

If i do any kind of 180 varial business, like a varial flip, hardflip, pressure flip, inward heel, shovit, etc, I always do them off the nose. If the board spins 360, it's off the tail. I don't know why.

I used to always do inward heels with my front foot hanging off really far, so the edge of the board was just between the arch of my foot and my heel, and my back foot in basically ollie position. The whole trick is all in the front foot. You kinda have to kick out and almost backwards, allowing space for the board to flip all gay-like. No matter how consistent you are with them, they always feel awkward. Sometimes I'd try putting my back foot in the "pocket", but it felt too much like a pressure flip. Plus, I ride my trucks real loose, the bolt is only a 1/4 turn holding the shit together, and putting my weight on one side of the board makes me ride in circles.

Coincidentally, the flip and spin rotation for an inward heel is identical to a pressure flip.

Wow. I'm not sure, but my immediate impression was "that's a little bit ugly". It's kinda like something Pharrel would wear. i try to stay about 500 miles away from anything he'd rock.

Progress update: I went out and skated a little today in the parking lot, and 360 flip is coming along slowly. I tried to just do them all lazy-like, how that dude just kinda barely hopped in the trick tip video. I can't get it to spin around that way. The only way i can make it do the full rotation is to put way too much effort into it. I landed one hella sketchy that way and had to tic-tac the last 45deg. I just called it a day after that.

Another thing is that I had my camera set up to film, so i could see what my tricks are looking like. 360 flip is so ugly. My kickflips are clean and sweet, but why is it that I can drop them like a foot and a half on flat with moderate effort, but when I set up a backpack to kickflip over, I can't make it? I've always had that problem. I should be able to blast right over it.

Its funny the first few times you want to go over something and you try going off to the side. It looks like there is no way you are going to make it ... but when you nut up and try it, and make it you look back like why was I struggling.

I think back to the first few fire hydrants I popped and feel that way.