Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

17 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Do the fans that aren't spinning have wires that are plugged into the motherboard/powersupply somewhere?

Thanks for taking the time to respond! The idea of working things out a little is appealing, to a point.

No, I was surprised to find that they are unplugged, must be that they have always been unplugged.

To be honest I have forgotten what little I knew about the parts of a computer, in order to attempt a conversation I first need to make sure I have the basic vocabulary.

The box in the top left which ports out to the power cord is the power center yes?, it has a fan that spins.

The motherboard is the vertically mounted board in the back and connected to that is the graphics card at the bottom that says geoforce.

Also mounted to the motherboard is the wireless card, which I haven't used in years. 

The CPU is connected to the motherboard and has connected to it the "Coolermaster" which is a heatsink.

The hard drives are on shelves to the right, at the front of the machine.

IMG_20200530_090155.jpg.0c389225a0abbfefad804be4fc049a13.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Yep, nailed it..... the thing on the upper left is a "power supply".... but you knew what it was.

My suggestion is to try to find out if something failed.  Sometimes a failed memory stick will cause problems like no booting or a failed hard drive.  I've seen a lot of weird shit happen in the past.  If you have tried all the combinations you can think of (it helps to write it on a piece of paper and check off what you've tried already) then I would start trying to boot the computer by unplugging things one by one.

What I mean by this is:

• Power off the computer.
  • Unplug a device (hard drive, stick of ram (remove it), or PCI card (your wifi/geforce cards, etc).
  • Try to boot the computer w/ the device unplugged.
  • If it doesn't work, plug that device back in and try a different one.
  • only do ONE at a time so that you can properly track what change fixed the issue.

@morton

Well, I gave it a bit of a go but left some things alone.

I cycled out and back the wireless card, the four memory cards, the two hard drives and the graphics card. I did not try turning it on with the graphics card out because how would I know if it was booting with no monitor. 

I did not bother with unplugging random cables at the motherboard or messing with the CPU/cooler thing, if I recall there was some fancy seating bit with the install and lithium grease or whatever so I did not want to break the connections.

I can feel that one of the hard drives is humming so I know it is at least doing something. 

No luck, the monitor continues to show nothing, if I unplug the monitor from the computer then it displays a message that it has been unplugged but that is all, when plugged in it says no signal.

That sounds like a toasted video card to me.

You can plug your monitor into the motherboard directly.  There should be a blue 15-pin (3xrows of 5) connector, that's your VGA connector.  Your monitor and your motherboard should both have these.  What you've described sounds like your video card gave up the ghost.

Also, in the testing I outlined above, I didn't mean for you to mess w/ the cpu cooler.  That's not a device that would really keep the computer from booting.

So.... does it seem like your computer is booting up then, and you just cannot get a display on the monitor?

• Props 1

I think that sounds like a good bet.

Yea, not sure why I outlined my skipping the CPU, I do not know much about computers but know enough to not pull that out and expect it to work.

I will look at plugging directly into the motherboard a little later and update after.

Thanks again, this is fun with some guidance.

My motherboard does not have a VGA port. 

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A99FX_PRO_R20/specifications/

IMG_20200531_120308.jpg.bb621ca3a369acd228a3da280d00bd35.jpg

My table looked filthy in the last picture so I wiped it down, now my computer looks filthy.

I do not have another computer to test the graphics card on nor another graphics card to test the computer with... are there options I am over looking or have I reached the point where it is most practical to bring it to a shop for them to do further investigation?

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, CLICKCLACKONER said:

I switched over to a MacBook Pro... Do I need anti-virus, anti malware, etc. software?  Very n00b question but I've had it for a 1.5 years and it's still running very smoothly without one.

3DFB1B59-3F18-4F16-B9F7-209D29F360A0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Someone please explain the easiest way to get around this shit. Happens all the time when im trying to post photos from my phone

via my MacBook. Fuckin HEIC photo files. Bullshit ass google doesn't really work with my brain on how to fix it. Hoping someone can make

it easier lol. Shit really disrupts my content contribution. 

1316068976_ScreenShot2020-09-05at11_31_42AM.thumb.png.f19d97fcbe5c052d7419e64c4aae54d4.png

6 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

You can either move them out of the folder all at once using a command from "terminal" or you can turn the option off on your iphone that is causing it to store images in that format.  It's in the image or camera settings or some shit.  I can get more detailed than that if that doesn't get you pointed in the right direction.

• Like 1

Haha, what do you mean? @NightmareOnElmStreet

Did you get it fixed?  Here are the two options I described before.  Recognize that the effect of the two things are different and understand which you'd rather use..... or use both.  Whatever.

On your Mac's "Terminal" application.

1.  cd ~/where/ever/your/images/are/

2. mkdir HEIC_IMAGES

3. mv *.HEIC HEIC_IMAGES

-- OR --

On your iPhone

Settings app -> Camera -> Formats -> Most Compatible

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, NightmareOnElmStreet said:

Nerds…….! 
W

T

F

just happened to my MacBook lolol?!?

Have started and re-started. Going out on a limb and saying my 2 year old caused this somehow within the last couple hrs cause the mf was workin fine earlier today. 

Take it back to the Nigerian prince you bought it from for refund.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 2

I'm a pretty big nerd and have been essentially attached to computers since I was 10 - went to school for electronics, take everything I can apart, etc. - Miss Casek as I used to talk to him when my account was still Crackteeth or whatever the fuck it was before life got crazy and I didn't have time for the forum. I can usually help with most electronics/computer questions. 

Also the Geek Squad is fucking awful - most of them just go on a bullet pointed list of 'what it might be'. At best you get an A+ tech managing the entire crew.

Edited by Corpseinarug
  • Props 2

38 minutes ago, Corpseinarug said:

I'm a pretty big nerd and have been essentially attached to computers since I was 10 - went to school for electronics, take everything I can apart, etc. - Miss Casek as I used to talk to him when my account was still Crackteeth or whatever the fuck it was before life got crazy and I didn't have time for the forum. I can usually help with most electronics/computer questions. 

Also the Geek Squad is fucking awful - most of them just go on a bullet pointed list of 'what it might be'. At best you get an A+ tech managing the entire crew.

Coollll so what do you make of the situation?? Same thing Mercer is saying or what??

Absolutely agree.

Tearing it apart and putting the case back together properly is step 2 though. Have fun with that shit, that's why I don't buy laptops anymore. Those motherfuckers are throwaway devices these days. All my art shit I do on my desktop and use an Ipad as a 4th (touchscreen) monitor so I don't need a lappy. After TSA ripped mine open during a fucking business trip last year and ripped the hinges out (motherfucking Syracuse...I asked the TSA agent 'you fucking feel good, Captain America? You just fucking broke my laptop, GOOD JOB GUMSHOE' ) I don't really plan on having one around as Ipads these days are a cunthair away power-wise.

Find a schematic for that model and it should take you 10 seconds to locate where the plug is once you open the case.

Edited by Corpseinarug
  • Like 3