spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I consider Sonik choice of desk reference to be elementary at best, no matter how much that diploma cost. Heads know, and stand beside:

A Dictionary of Modern English Usage by H.W. Fowler

often refered to simply as 'Fowler's' he's the Hoyle of the english language

Originally posted by Sonik3000

I'll concur with you about the science english / english english difference in standards.

One of my Nepali brothers hit me off with a copy of his doctoral dissertation in theoretical physics. I literally could not make out a single sentence.

My boy's wicked smart.

Ask him for the English version.

Secret,

There are a few conventions here, but really the key is just to be consistent. The convention of underlining book titles arose from the days of handwritten manuscripts, where the underlining was a cue to the printer to use italics, since it's pretty hard to handwrite italics. Films, books, album names, and other kinds of compilation titles are underlined when handwritten and italicized when typed. Essay titles, song titles, poem titles, web site URLs, article titles, and other generally smaller bits are in quotations.

Examples:

I wrote an article in Twelve Ounce Prophet Magazine called "My Surf Board."

Bob Dylan's song "Things Have Changed" appears in the movie Wonder Boys.

Another note on the passive voice: fools use it in papers to take up space.

A must read is George Orwell's essay "Politics and the English Language".

Among other things, he clowns the modern tendency to take up more space while having less to say.

"It becomes routine - even easier, once you have the habit - to say 'In my opinion it is not an unjustifiable assumption that' than to say 'I think".

Egnog was just casually browsing through this thread and a few topics sprung to his English mind:

1) When would anyone actually say 'an humor'? Humor is not something tangible and thus cannot really be used in a conversation e.g. "I'm going to the cornershop to buy an humor dear",

To Egnog that just doesn't sound right.

2)Egnog has perceived that Americans have the audacity to call their language 'English'. There are so many fundamental differences between English 'English' and American 'English' that American would seem more appropriate a name.

Also, Egnog cannot understand all the strange abbreviations and pronunciations that have been filtering into his fair country from the bad grammar melting pot that is more widely known as America. For instance:

Xmas - What? Do you mean Christmas? Well why not just write it or are your obese fingers unable to hold a pen for too long?

Tonite - It's tonight, with g-h-t. Can your miniscule brains not understand the most basic pronunciations?

Route - Pronounced 'root' not 'raout'

Leicester - 'Lester' not bloody 'ly-sester'

These are just a few of the linguistic faux pas that Egnog has been able to remember due to his brain being clouded by grammatical rage.

More will come soon.

P.S. THE LAW - I'm looking forward to your reply.

Love,

The Egnog.

http://www16.brinkster.com/bronxed/clipboard.jpg'>

Guest imported_Tesseract

Egnog,

It's a matter of style i supose, its vital for every language to have new terms or an alternative meaning/form.

Humor works that way pretty much.

I dont think anyone would write Xmass when he doesnt want to sound Xmass.

Also, about the English/American thing, i disagree.

Its English.

Its way to sovinistic (sp?) otherwise.

Originally posted by egnog

Egnog was just casually browsing through this thread and a few topics sprung to his English mind:

1) When would anyone actually say 'an humor'? Humor is not something tangible and thus cannot really be used in a conversation e.g. "I'm going to the cornershop to buy an humor dear",

2)Egnog has perceived that Americans have the audacity to call their language 'English'. There are so many fundamental differences between English 'English' and American 'English' that American would seem more appropriate a name.

Also, Egnog cannot understand all the strange abbreviations and pronunciations that have been filtering into his fair country from the bad grammar melting pot that is more widely known as America. For instance:

Xmas - What? Do you mean Christmas? Well why not just write it or are your obese fingers unable to hold a pen for too long?

Tonite - It's tonight, with g-h-t. Can your miniscule brains not understand the most basic pronunciations?

Leicester - 'Lester' not bloody 'ly-sester'

These are just a few of the linguistic faux pas that Egnog has been able to remember due to his brain being clouded by grammatical rage.

More will come soon.

P.S. THE LAW - I'm looking forward to your reply.

Love,

The Egnog.

this from a guy who can't spell his own name...

1 a person may make "an humorous remark"... remind me later to explain adjectives

2 call it what you want, it's OUR language now

3 the letter X has been synonomous with the name of Christ since 10 a.d. if you got beef, take it up with the Etruscans

4 idiots spell it tonite, find me an example in anything the Americans call Literature

5 pronounce it how you like and get out of my fuckin mouth

6 this from the country that pronounces Chomoddenly as 'chumley'

(who cares how it's spelled, you pronounce it WRONG! Don't make me mention Worstershire)

7 Eggnog

(British Blunderer Blundered the following)

(Sonik3000 reminds you to stay out of the passive voice, for you sound worthless, wordy, and weak.)

(Sonik3000 sees passive voice again, and a split infinitive.)

(Sonik3000 yet again sees passive voice.)

(Why don't you listen to the American classic "Route 66" and hear for yourself how we actually pronounce the word.)

(Again, passive voice, as well as an improper non-pluralization of the French.)

(In conclusion, fucker, don't get into a pissing contest with a skunk.)

(Sonik3000, quoting the Irish: "Certainly the British gave us our language. But we, WE, showed them how to use it!")

I have less to say to Egnog about grammar than about bigotry. You mention grammatical ignorance and obesity as though Americans have a monopoly on them. That's as simpleminded as calling all Muslims extremists. I can get an uncomfortably large dose of ignorance and obesity at my local Wal-Mart, but I don't go there for enlightenment or dietary guidance. So why are you on a graffiti site looking for exemplary grammar? I have a gift for the language, and I choose to share it with some people with common interests. Can you say the same, or did somebody spike your afternoon tea with a dash of Haterade?

I'm not alone!!!!

You have no idea how hysterically happy I am to find this thread. There are a couple of Irish graffiti sites with guest books, and I just love correcting the grammar of homie-wannabes. Your superior abilities humble me. (This is not sarcasm)

As an aside: Egnog, you are just spouting the very old, weak argument often favored by the Brits. It runs thus: “We invented it, therefore we speak it correctly.” Anyone who understands languages knows that they do not work that way, least of all English. The phenomenal success of English can be attributed to its unique ability to absorb anything of use from other languages. Some countries, like France, struggle to prevent elements of English filtering in to their native tongue. English, however, takes any word it needs, ESPECIALLY if that word does not have a direct translation in English. Already there are more words in English than anything else, and this fact alone makes it a very versatile tongue. I know a lot of people resent English and believe it is stamping out native languages, but I think that is missing the point. English is no longer the mother tongue of any one country – it is the blending of any language it meets, like a natural Esperanto.

The British trying to demand that people speak English like they do is as pointless as other countries trying to keep English out. Language EVOLVES, and I believe English is the proverbial Fittest.

P.S. Egnog, there are more of us than there are of you - and we control T.V. You can kiss the superfluous “u” in color goodbye.

(I am sure my grammar is atrocious, but I just wanted to make that point.)

:dazed: and :confused: Communication is my Religion, why else would I be a writer?

Ha! It looketh like THE EGNOG hath riled some people up again. (Yes, passive voice used by Egnog.)

>So why are you on a graffiti site looking for exemplary grammar?

Mr. Ass, I'm not the one who started this thread. I personally don't give a fuck about grammatical correctness, I just was drunk and felt like pissing y'all off. The reason I'm on this site is to catch up with the US graff scene.

>this from a guy who can't spell his own name...

Smart, can Orfn or Sonik not spell their names right either?

Oh well, looks like I might just have to buy some people an humor (spelt humour if you really must know, something I failed to pick up on yesterday.)

Originally posted by egnog

Ha! It looketh like THE EGNOG hath riled some people up again. (Yes, passive voice used by Egnog.)

>this from a guy who can't spell his own name...

Smart, can Orfn or Sonik not spell their names right either?

Oh well, looks like I might just have to buy some people an humor (spelt humour if you really must know, something I failed to pick up on yesterday.)

wow.

there are just so many problems here, i don't know where to begin :P :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest THE LAW

temporarily unstickied

yo....THE LAW doesn't have time to deal with this right now....

temporarily unstickied so it doesn't take up unnecessary space.

• 2 months later...

Re: temporarily unstickied

Originally posted by THE LAW

temporarily unstickied so it doesn't take up unnecessary space.

Or not...

Some people might think that even with your proper grammar you might not refer to yourself in the third person...

Not you. No offense.

There is nothing grammatically incorrect about referring to oneself in the third person. This is a style issue. The worst complaint you could have against this usage is that it sounds pompous and egotistical - which is precisely what THE LAW aims for in using it.

Another technique for sounding important is to use the kingly "we". In the old monarchies it was believed that the king received counsel direct from God, and the king would say "we" instead of "I", meaning "God and I".

I was going to start a thread complaining about the decline in quality of Channel Zero topics, but the return of this one cancels my sentiment with a vengeance.

i dont care if this has been said b4 , im sayin it agian :

THERE :

1 : in or at that place <stand over there> -- often used interjectionally

2 : to or into that place < I went there after church >

3 : at that point or stage <stop right there before you say something you'll regret>

4 : in that matter, respect, or relation <there is where I disagree with you>

5 -- used interjectionally to express satisfaction, approval, encouragement or sympathy, or defiance <there, it's finished >

THEIR :

1 : of or relating to them or themselves especially as possessors, agents, or objects of an action <their furniture> <their verses> <their being seen> < it was their spraypaint >

2 : his or her : HIS, HER, ITS -- used with an indefinite third person singular antecedent <anyone in their senses >

THEY'RE :

Contraction of They Are

1 : <they're (they are ) going to the store>

Guest THE LAW

INSERT: FANFARE

THE LAW announces his triumphant return to the 12ozProphet. The court allowed him a seven week paid holiday and he chose to go on safari. He has now returned to reign mercilessly over minions of incompetent stooges.

who stickied this again?

Archived