spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Joker

What is the rule for starting a sentence with "And". Or starting a sentence with "But"? I apologize if this has been covered. I haven't read every page.

..i screwed up..

only subordinative conjunctions can be used to start a sentence, such as although and because..

and, but, or...these are a different type of conjunction (i forget what they're called right now) and can only be used to join phrases in a sentence.

Originally posted by beardo

cracked ass that sucks that you had to change youre name because youre account is lost but anyway its cool that you know all this stuff and stuff i like to read about grammer i think i learned a lot in this thread man its a good thing to have a round for when i need help on some puctuation haha did you get the spelling of punctuation there its funny cus you spellt it wrong so i was making fun of you anyways man glad to see you back i got your email the other day good deal now i know how to get a hold of you i have a spot that i can pick up some older krylons if your interested nothing too spectacular but whatever ill just email you the details

hahahaha

I'm so gullible. I was about to lecture you on run-on sentences...then chastise your continued abuse of "your" and "you're"...and then I figured something out...:beat:

Okay, since there was a question about this way back, here's some commonly used Latin abbreviations:

i.e.

id est

"that is"

Cracked Ass is a word freak, i.e. a complete nerd.

e.g.

exempli gratia

"examples given"

Cracked Ass is well-versed in North American freight lines, e.g. BNSF, CSX, and NS.

m.o.

modus operandi

"method of operation"

Cracked Ass has a self-defeating m.o. when it comes to women, walking up them in Victoria's Secret and asking if the undergarment they are hlding comes in children's sizes.

That's all I feel like doing right now. If people have other Latin expessions they would like explained, please list them and maybe I'll get around to them. Or, do like Jobe, and get them tattooed on your neck and wait for me to point out that they aren't quite right.

Ad Sonum Pertinens

Guest THE LAW

Thank you sonik3000...

for the rest of you....wallow in the deepest recesses of your shameful existence!!!

As a result of the continued and widespread misspelling of:

DEFINITELY

CONGRATULATE

YOUR/YOU'RE,

this thread is being stuck to the top of Channel Zero until the situation improves.

THIS MEANS YOU>

Originally posted by Are2

..i screwed up..

only subordinating conjunctions can be used to start a sentence, such as although and because..

and, but, or...these are a different type of conjunction (i forget what they're called right now) and can only be used to join phrases in a sentence.

they're called coordinating conjunctions.

It's time to get the fuck out of here and get a goddamn drink....

What you're saying, Are2, is true by the stodgiest of English language guides, but in general practice, one can get away with beginning sentences with a coordinating conjunction and still be published in, oh, the New Yorker. But - one would have to demonstate sufficient capacity for language so as to make publication in The New Yorker a possibility for this to occur.

A drink? Jeez, girl... it's not yet noon!

Sonik3000's Hyperbolic Pentameter

Hiccup!

imh,ys,o

Sonik, I beg to differ... or well, I beg to place qualifications on what you've said... while you may still start your sentences with coordinators, the only time you will escape the editors pen is if you happen to be submitting prose or narrative work. In straight editorials and journalistic pieces most of the magazines in the New Yorker's league correct that error...

..hence, my conflicting replies on the matter..

It's funny, I watched Finding Forrester last night and they discuss the very issue.

and yes, i need a drink again today..the green scene is not looking to friendly around here these days, and i have been reverting to liquid refreshment as a substitute..

hmmmm...i wonder if 9/11 has hurt the drug markets...

Originally posted by Raels

Also, about colons: a semicolon is commonly used to join two related sentences together; "Colon Blow" is the laxative-like cereal Phil Hartman made popular with his humorous, yet informative SNL skit.

totally off topic, but Phil Hartman was the shit..

I miss that guy being around.

..haaaaaaaa Colon Blow!!

C'mon folks. This thread can't die.

I find it odd that if someone were to state a negation, such as "It's not big," simply responding with either "yeah" or "nope" essentially means the same thing.

- It's not big.

- Nope.

Insinuating "No, it's not big."

- It's not big.

- Yeah.

Insinuating "Yes, I agree with you. It's not big."

Just something running through my mind.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

C'mon folks. This thread can't die.

I find it odd that if someone were to state a negation, such as "It's not big," simply responding with either "yeah" or "nope" essentially means the same thing.

- It's not big.

- Nope.

Insinuating "No, it's not big."

- It's not big.

- Yeah.

Insinuating "Yes, I agree with you. It's not big."

Just something running through my mind.

fgood poinmt, ive thoiughjt ofd thast manyu tiomes, fuick its sduperr hard tos spelkl like thisd, fa real.

Am I the only one who sees the futility in bumping a topic that is already stickied?

Its already up here....where else is it going?

And I must say I'm loving this thread, even if I'm not always the best at putting the rules of grammar, spelling, and puncuation into practice.

Since this thread needs some new life pumped into it, I will request some information from anyone willing to provide it:

I need help with the use of "that" after a verb.

For example - "I stated that I was not willing to eat the glue."

Is the "that" necessary? Or does the sentence flow just as well with "I stated I was not willing to eat the glue." What is the difference? Emphasis? If so, what am I reinforcing with the use of "that?"

Thanks.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

I need help with the use of "that" after a verb.

For example - "I stated that I was not willing to eat the glue."

Is the "that" necessary? Or does the sentence flow just as well with "I stated I was not willing to eat the glue." What is the difference? Emphasis? If so, what am I reinforcing with the use of "that?"

Thanks.

Interesting. This is more of a style issue than one of correctness. There may be exceptions, but in the example you gave and in most parallel examples it will be the writer's decision how to flow.

The verb you use before "that" will sometimes make a slight difference. In the case of "stated", if you said that sentence aloud without "that", the listener might be expecting a direct quote to follow "stated". (I stated "I was not willing to eat the glue." - That's what the listener might infer.) Once you include "that", the listener knows you are not directly quoting yourself. That's only for the verbs "state" or "say". Now that I think about it, there are a limited number of verbs which could reasonably precede "that" the way you used it - say, state, infer, know, understand, suspect, think, others dealing with cognition or communication. (You wouldn't say "I jogged that I won't be there".)

OK, before I confuse you, let me reiterate that in examples similar to yours, it is a style issue - your choice whether to include "that".

There is another use for "that" which is more literary and/or poetic:

I drink, that I might forget my woes.

It takes a comma, so it is harder to confuse the two uses.

Guest Remy Martin

As a graffiti vandal, I prefer to use substandard english text when writing or texting as I am now. However, this in no way undermines my ablility to articulate my thoughts in a correct manner, or so I think. I feel that to state my case or thought, or what the fucking fuck ever that i fucking feel like fucking stating, I am able to acheive articulation that is to the point, yet substandard in the ways of correct american english. This I feel,further exemplifys the point I am trying to accomplish as a graffiti writer.

This hypothosis is in conjuction with my artistic view point on illegal art mainly done with aerosol and house latex paint as the prime medium. Also, ink and so called wheat paste posters are highly relevant. In using said mediums, one steps out of the bounds of psuedo "accepted art forms" that are recognized and based on theorys of generation past, and braves new frontiers of acceptable art boundrys. In the same way I feel that using the medium of grammatic rules and definitions, one could very well turn speach in to a medium with a similar theory to graffiti art. When talking to graffiti artists, the words they use in context to the graffiti they are writing are quite uniuqe and seem to provide a mental picture into the said graffiti scene they are writing in. Therefore in this hypothosis, I am stating that the grammatical graffiti being used and created by the said persons writing graffiti is, the so called icing on the cake. Words that have no relevant meaning other than to those writing graffiti.

im really fuckin bored and out of chromeys.

Guest Remy Martin

oh yeah.........

ill own up to misspelling hypothesis, i think thats the correct spelling.

Remy Martin/closet sociologist

Originally posted by rip

ok are people seriously arguing about spelling? i mean shit, what the fuck, do we all have no lives?

arguing? no, we're discussing..

i think it's a very productive topic..what? are you afraid you might learn something on 12 oz? :crazy:

Archived