spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by and now you choke

what the fuck is this pseudo-intellectual nonsense??

if i felt like hanging out with a bunch of grammar correcting, multi-syllable word spitting, fake wiz kids, i'd sell my soul to the crumby crowd of yuppies. get this topic out of here...or shine the light on something more beneficial for the community...

this topic IS beneficial...if you can spell, don't read it, but there's tons of motherfuckers who can't that are never gonna learn unless it's on some stupid fucking graffiti website. God forbid someone learned something.

You know what's in this topic and think it's lame, let's see if you take the time to see if anyone's replied to you.

Originally posted by dr. frink one

i need help with WHO and WHOM....

You and me both buddy. I tried to ask my English teacher today, but just figured I would come on twelve ounce instead. I also have a lot of trouble with not putting "I" in formal essays . . . just a habit i need to break. Oh and "a lot" is two words right? Because that's what my English teacher told me . . . just making sure she isn't wrong.

a lot is two words..

and as far as not putting "I" in formal essays, refreshing your use of words like "hence" and "therefore" helps a little (instead of "I think" or "I feel" etc.)...i had a lot of practice with that from years of writing lab reports...i'll try and think of some more suggestions.

and an earlier post...(learn to use the search!!)

Originally posted by cracked ass

EFFECT vs. AFFECT

This one is terribly difficult to keep straight. I'm one of two people I know who know how to use these correctly in all cases.

The trouble stems from the fact that both can be nouns or verbs, so there are at least four ways to screw up.

EFFECT as a NOUN is the more common usage by far.

It is pronounced e-FEKT as a noun or verb.

An EFFECT is a result or a change brought about by some action.

Terrorist attacks have had an effect on airport security procedures.

My words had no effect on the police officer.

EFFECT as a VERB is rare except in more literary forums than this one.

To EFFECT something is to bring it about, cause it to come into being. It DOES NOT mean to change something or have an influence on something.

To effect change, one must work tirelessly.

I was unable to effect a solution to our problem.

AFFECT as a noun is almost unheard of. I don't think I've ever used it in speech or in writing, and it's another situation where only stuffy people seem to use it. It is also pronounced differently as a noun: AFF-ekt.

An AFFECT is a posture or appearance.

My opponent adopted an unconcerned affect after losing to me.

Her disinterested affect was obviously a sham.

AFFECT as a VERB is the more common usage by far.

To AFFECT something is to change it or have an influence on it.

It is pronounced uh-FEKT as a verb.

Jordan's heroics did not affect the outcome of the game.

The weather in South America can affect coffee prices.

If this is all too much, there is an easy rule of thumb for AFFECT and EFFECT, which works in 99% of cases when you are not trying to be super-literary with your sentences. If you're using it as a VERB, use AFFECT. If you're trying to use a noun, use EFFECT. Remember, if you AFFECT the outcome, you have had an EFFECT on the outcome. (The first is a verb, the second is a noun in that sentence.)

Guest Remy Martin
Originally posted by and now you choke

look guys, i've been schooled. sent off to writing classes, writing camp. college. i

hmm... i dropped out at ninth grade and never really went to 8th. You sound pretty privilaged. However, since I work in proffessional enviroments, spelling and grammar are quite important. So it seems to me your sittten here swiggen the haterade cause your mommy made sure you got a "proper" edjimakayshun.

Grammar and spelling are interesting fucker. Lay off the haterade.

Guest Remy Martin

haahah

i spelled that shit wrong alltogether......i have no idea, those vowels are confusing.

i hated spelling class in school.

privilaged

p r i v i l a g e d

privilaged

thats my final answer.

peace, piece / site, sight

Unless you are talking about world peace, you want "piece", and never "peice"

"i" before "e" except after "c" or when sounding like "a" as in "neighbor" and "weigh"

Site: a place where shit happens.

Sight: your visual apprehension of a visible event. or the targeting part on your rifle that you look through.

Thusly: Your web site is a sight for sore eyes; that pink fluorescent piece is insane.

And while I'm at it: "that" is often not needed, except when it is. Cracked is right about one case where it is -- sorting out a quote from an interpreted statement. Some editors advise removing all the "that"s (oh help me punctuate, The Law), then putting back only the ones that you discover you need in order to avoid ambiguity or awkwardness.

Professional tip: Always read your writing out loud before publishing it in any serious way (or turning it in for a grade). It will help you find the mistakes and the awkward parts so you can pay special attention to them. That's how you decide where to put the thats and that's how you find sentences like this so you can delete them before you turn in your paper.

Susan, an English major who cares a lot but still makes mistakes...better fix 'em before The Law gets me ...

PS: Next time, that vs. which, American style

Addendum: peace, piece / site, sight

*Cite: to reference a written source, i.e.

Originally posted by Susan

Unless you are talking about world peace, you want "piece", and Your web site is a sight for sore eyes; that pink fluorescent piece is insane.

Commonly Used Latin Idioms

Ad Infinitum - Endlessly

Ad Lib - Improvise freely

Ad Hoc - Impromptu

Ad Nauseam - To the point of sickness

Alter Ego - Another I, literally

A Priori - Reasoning without reference to experience or past events, as contrasted with

A Posteriori - Reasoning based on the past

Bona Fide - In good faith

Caveat Emptor - Buyer beware

De Facto - Existing by fact, not by means of law or right, opposite of

De Jure

Et Al - And other stuff too, also Et Cetera

Ex Post Facto - After the fact

Habeas Corpus - It means "having the body" but in practice it's the legal term that keeps cops from holding you without telling you why

Ibidem, Ibid - The same

In Re - As regards

In Ipso - In and of itself

N.B., Nota Bene - Note well

Non Sequitur - That which does not follow

Per Se - Inherently

Sine Qua Non - Literally, the "without which not", meaning something utterly essential

Sub Poena, or Subpoena - Under penalty, as in show up to testify or you'll be penalized

Ad Sonum Pertinens MMM

Ubi Nihil Est, Ibi Nihil Vales

Originally posted by suburbian bum

antidisestableshmentarism

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis......

Although i've never seen the word used on these boards before, people commonly misspell the word reservoir. NOT resavoire, resevoir, resavoir, or any combination of those misspellings. I won a spelling bee on that word......

Also, I think someone should explain the usage of "And" and "But" as the first word in a sentence. That always confuses me.

Originally posted by Are2

a lot is two words..

and as far as not putting "I" in formal essays, refreshing your use of words like "hence" and "therefore" helps a little (instead of "I think" or "I feel" etc.)...i had a lot of practice with that from years of writing lab reports...i'll try and think of some more suggestions.

thanks buddy, i appreciate it.

As far as not using "I" in formal papers goes,

I thought of something else..sometimes it is easy to just reconstruct the sentence, simply eliminating "I"..

I poured 20 milliliters of buffer into the beaker.

becomes, Twenty milliliters of buffer was poured into the beaker.

..hope that helps..

Avoiding the Passive Voice

Are2's last post sets off editorial alarms!

In addition to their various tenses, verbs have, in English, "voices." The two primary voices are active and passive. Just check the examples, as it's easier to see the difference for yourself than for me to explain them:

active: I drove my car to the yard and painted trains.

passive: My car was driven to the yard by myself and trains were painted.

active: Back in the 1970's, writers like IN and IZ popularized the throwup.

passive: The throwup was popularized by writers like IN and IZ back in the 1970's.

active: Twist caught twenty tags on my doorway.

passive: Twenty tags were caught on my doorway by Twist.

Get it? Do you also see that the passive voice is quite clumsy and doesn't read well?

Ergo (therefore, in Latin) AVOID THE PASSIVE VOICE WHEN YOU WRITE. It is a general stylistic no-no. There are some situations where the passive voice is appropriate, but as a rule, stick to the active voice.

Most people have problems slipping into the passive voice when they are writing school papers, because the passive voice sounds less like you're trying to actually claim something, or trying to avoid "I." So be careful of this, and do try to revoice your passive sentences when writing papers.

An editor would ask that Are2's sample sentence get tacked on to the sentence immediately following it. (note my use of the passive voice just now, it is basically appropriate here because it would sound well spoken, and gives the sentence a nice colloquial and conversational feel.)

Upon pouring twenty milliliters of buffer into the beaker, the room filled with smoke and Are2 snuck out the back door to go get a beer.

The Elements of Style

If you are interested in writing well, please do yourself a favor and buy:

The Elements of Style, by Strunk and White.

It's a tiny volume and will set you back about seven bucks. Every bookstore will usually have it. It's really the only writing guide anyone will ever need.

..okay, so that was not the best example..

Twenty milliliters of buffer was poured into the beaker and the pH was adjusted to 7.5.

The point is, in lab reports and some types of scientific research papers, avopiding the use of "I" in sentences is more important than the stylistic problems that arise from using the passive voice.

An English teacher would likely edit that sentence.

A Biochemistry teacher anticipating a publishable lab report would accept it.

Trust me.

So, decide which is more appropriate to the paper. In some cases, avoiding use of the word "I", in other cases, readability and style.

I would like to thank Sonik3000 for his keen observations on style...

:) :)

I'll concur with you about the science english / english english difference in standards.

One of my Nepali brothers hit me off with a copy of his doctoral dissertation in theoretical physics. I literally could not make out a single sentence.

My boy's wicked smart.

Archived